One remarkable historical fact is that the foundation of Christianity is the "Atonement" while the goal of Buddhism is "At-One-Ment."

Whether or not this is an example of a meaningful connection [Synchronicity] between Civilizations may be a question worthy of consideration. 

It does give a rather profound significance to words written by Dr. Jung: 

In the Pauline Christ symbol the deepest religious experiences of the West and of the East confront each other. Christ the sorrow-laden hero, and the Golden Flower that blooms in the purple hall of the city of jade—what a contrast, what an infinity of difference, what an abyss of history! A problem fit for the crowning work of a future psychologist! ~Carl Jung, Commentary on The Secret of the Golden Flower.

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Richard Wilhelm's Translation of The Secret of the Golden Flower:

http://www.rexresearch.com/goldflwr/goldflwr.htm

Carl Jung's Commentary on The Secret of the Golden Flower: 

http://carljungdepthpsychology.blogspot.com/2012/02/commentary-of-s...

The Secret of the Golden Flower (Chinese Alchemy) --- Hui Ming Ching (Book of Consciousness a…
  • Here goes folks...an aptly named article...Jung and the Secret of the Golden Flower.

Jung-Secret_of_Golden_Flower.pdf

• My initial response: The Christ represented by an individual becomes the spirit of community (Body of Christ). The individual flower blossoms out of the center of the surrounding collective of hall and city. Eastern community yielding the individual, Western individualism expanding to community. 

• I'm reading Jae-Cheon Lee's paper, "Jung and the Secret of the Golden Flower", before I make any comment :)

How's life, Ed?

• Thanks for the article.First read of the morning. Just got back from the JSSS (The International Jungian Society for Scholarly Studies - try and make a name tag with that!!) conference in New Orleans and going in October to do a workshop related to soul in depth psychology and Christianity. Reading the Jung-White letters now. Other than this...getting in as much theatre and live music as I can. How about you?

This reply was deleted.