The Huffington Post just ran an interview with Dr. Charlyne Gelt related to the Manson marriage. Raj Persaud, MD, writes a popular column for The Huffington Post and used my recent book "Hades Angels" and PhD research 'Hells Angels' about women who marry men behind bars or on death row - this is in the light of Charles Manson being about to marry.
The piece is published and available here:
Dr Charlyne Gelt’s research suggests an explanations which has been published as a book entitled Hades’ Angels: An Inside View of Women Who Love Lifers and Death Row Inmates probing the hidden forces behind a magnetic draw and demystifying destructive relationships. As such it draws on a wider readership, not only those who want to read stories about the Mr. Wrongs of the world, but those who want to learn how women--even those in relationship with prison inmates—are able to heal, to transform and grow so the Mr. Wrongs no longer find their way into their lives
It is not just Hades’ Angels who are magnetically drawn to demon lovers or to men with the depth of a puddle. Even the most capable, intelligent, articulate woman, wounded at the core, may fall unconsciously into this kind of arrangement.  Hades’ Angels offers story, analysis, and interpretation and teaches readers how to identify, confront and heal the kind of wounds whose source remains a mystery.

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for sharing this, Charlyne. What a fascinating topic, and your work (with a depth psychological lens)  is particularly timely as the Manson marriage news comes out. I hope everyone will read the article and consider checking out your book!

• Thank you for your support. I felt obliged to do something constructive about what I had discovered, including to create a firestorm of controversy. Until unveiled, are we not at the beck and call of our childhood's acquired imposters? Charlyne Gelt, Ph.D.

• It's almost a twisted version of the traditional single income family, where the husband was the provider that traveled with relative freedom and received intellectual stimulation from work and his professional circle, whereas the dependent wife stayed at home in the suburbs away from the city and raised the children.
    • I've heard some women describe that as being a bird in a gilded cage. Smart, independent, professional women marrying prisoners is like the mirror image.
      • Thank you for your response. Interesting concept, bird in a gilded cage. But a 6x9 cell in a maximum security prison is anything but gilded. These women, Hades Angels, got into these relationships after his incarceration.

Charlyne Gelt, Ph.D.

• Gilded? No. Cage? Yes. And you could say, in a way, that they're kept men.
This reply was deleted.