I am currently working on my associates degree. I want to major in Depth Psychology but many of the universities I have come across are all graduate schools.
Does anyone have any advice on where to go for undergraduate school? I don't think there are depth psychology bachelor programs I can attend.. but I may be wrong.

I know there are different sub groups of psychology. What type of psychology did you major in when you went for your bachelors degree?

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I hate to bump a post from over a month ago, but I had to take the chance to hype up the school that I'm currently attending for undergrad.  While it's a small school with only 2 psychology faculty members, one of them was actually a student of James Hillman and leans towards teaching more towards the lines of depth psychology than "mainstream" psychology.  The school is called Pikeville College and it's in Pikeville, Kentucky.  There's a little over 1,000 students so the professors in all departments tend to know their students on a first name basis.  Tuition is around 14k, but where it's a small private school grants usually cover most of that. The Religion department is also wonderful there and a lot of the religion classes taught definitely help out in the psychology classes and come full circle.  I don't know how you would feel about moving to Eastern Kentucky in the middle of nowhere, but Pikeville really is a great school and I can't say enough good things about it.  Also, if you're into ecopsychology, the mountains are just beautiful.

• Sara,

Think there is a spot for someone who teaches both psychology and religion?  :)

Ed

• My advisor has been wanting to find a third faculty member for Psychology, and I think that one of the Religion profs is going to retire after this coming semester for health reasons so there very well may be a spot open.
        • Thanks, I'll check the college website. Wouldn't it be funny if......
  • Hi Lili, I got an B.S. in Biochemistry and with a minor in Philosophy, and I can say that Philosophy has been more informative to my development and process in Depth Psychology. However, I can say that at the time, the grinding business of the "hard" sciences was a perfect challenge to keep me from losing myself in the depths too early, or perhaps the path I needed to lose myself in the depths (depending on the narrative of course). I planted myself in the back of quite a few psychology classes in the years I worked between college and grad school, and found the psychologies of personality provide the most introductory depth experience. Are you hoping to eventually be a praciticing analyst? What side of depth psychology are you interested in?
  • I went to Antioch University Seattle for my undergrad degree. I earned a degree in Liberal Arts with an emphasis in Depth Psychology. During my 2 years there I took about 10 depth or depth-related courses which really helped to prepare me for depth graduate work at Pacifica. So while Antioch doesn't have any specific Depth degrees, it certainly offers the classes.

Good luck in your search!
  • Lili, how's the hunt going???
    • it's going! haha but I haven't had any luck finding undergrad depth psychology programs. But I like the idea Lynlee suggested. I really enjoy nonwestern humanities, as well as general psychology so I'm planning to just go for both and see where it all takes me. But once I go for my master's I am definitely going into the Depth Psychology program.

Thank you everyone for the replies =]
  • Hi Lili: I don't know much about the undergrad programs either. I ended up doing my Masters in DP first at Sonoma State University. Its an amazing and worthwhile program. I don't know many details about their undergraduate programs, but many people have told me they got their undergrad degree in (regular) Psychology there and at the same time, they got great exposure to Depth Psych there. The influence is the program seems very strong. I know many of my grad professors also teach in the undergrad classes. It makes it easy to continue on to a Master's if you do that. Good luck. Please post any info you find for others who are wondering the same thing if you are so inclined....
    • I also think it might be useful to study in ANY field you are particularly drawn to (humanities, art, music, psychology, etc) as an undergrad, because many of these fields merge beautifully with the field of depth psychology. There is no one straight path, all roads lead you home if you follow them with heart; that to me is the essence of depth psychology. Just begin, and you will be studying depth psychology all along! Also, find out what graduate programs are looking for in their programs from potential candidates. Blessings, Ari
This reply was deleted.