The Dream and its Amplification

I am pleased to share with you the release of The Dream and its Amplification, which I have edited together with Nancy Furlotti.

It is available at Amazon, Fisher King Press, Barnes@Noble.

Thanks! Erel Shalit

"In the case of a word which you have never come across before, you try to find parallel text passages... where the word also occurs... If you make the new text a readable whole, you say, 'Now we can read it.' That is how we learned to red hieroglyphics and cuneiform inscriptions and that is how we can read dreams." C. G. Jung, The Tavistock Lectures

The Dream and Its Amplification unveils the language of the psyche that speaks to us in our dreams. We all dream at least 4-6 times each night yet remember very few. Those that rise to the surface of our conscious awareness beckon to be understood, like a letter addressed to us that arrives by post. Why would we not open it? The difficulty is in understanding what the dream symbols and images mean.

Through amplification, C. G. Jung formulated a method of unveiling the deeper meaning of symbolic images. This becomes particularly important when the image does not carry a personal meaning or significance and is not part of a person's everyday life.

Fourteen Jungian Analysts from around the world have contributed chapters to this book on areas of special interest to them in their work with dreams. This offers the seasoned dream worker as well as the novice great insight into the meaning of the dream and its amplification.

Contents & Contributors I.  The Amplified World of Dreams - Erel Shalit and Nancy Swift Furlotti 

II.  Pane e’ Vino: Learning to Discern the Objective, Archetypal Nature of Dreams - Michael Conforti 

III.  Amplification: A Personal Narrative - Thomas Singer 

IV.  Redeeming the Feminine: Eros and the World Soul - Nancy Qualls-Corbett 

V.  Wild Cats and Crowned Snakes: Archetypal Agents of Feminine Initiation - Nancy Swift Furlotti 

VI.  A Dream in Arcadia - Christian Gaillard 

VII. Muse of the Moon: Poetry from the Dreamtime - Naomi Ruth Lowinsky 

VIII.  Dreaming the Face of the Earth: Myth, Culture, and Dreams of the Mayan Shaman -  Kenneth Kimmel 

IX.  Coal or Gold? The Symbolic Understanding of Alpine Legends - Gotthilf Isler 

X.  Sophia’s Dreaming Body: The Night Sky as Alchemical Mirror - Monika Wikman

XI.  The Dream Always Follows the Mouth: Jewish Approaches to Dreaming - Henry Abramovitch 

XII.  Bi-Polarity, Compensation, and the Transcendent Function in Dreams and Visionary Experience: A Jungian Examination of Boehme’s Mandala - Kathryn Madden 

XIII.  The Dream As Gnostic Myth - Ronald Schenk

XIV.   Four Hands in the Crossroads: Amplification in Times of Crisis - Erel Shalit 

XV.  Dreams and Sudden Death - Gilda Frantz

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This seems like a fascinating book, can't wait to get my hands on it

• Thanks Theodore! We have tried to combine the professional with the personal. The introduction, The Amplified World of Dreams, is an overview of the subject - dreams and amplification - including a dream, the active imagination and the amplification of that dream. The chapters are then written from the personal perspectives of the fourteen analysts and their particular emphasis, which make, I believe, a very interesting and quite wonderful journey of the subject. Erel

• Thank you Erel for mentioning this book.  Some interesting contributors. I'm writing my dissertation ( or it's writing me) on First dream or what Dr. Kradin titled in one of his books, The Herald Dream. The contributions to the book you mention which caught me were VII. Muse of the Moon: Poetry from the Dreamtime - Naomi Ruth Lowinsky, X.  Sophia’s Dreaming Body: The Night Sky as Alchemical Mirror - Monika Wikman. I suppose I've been writing poetry borrowing dreams or dream fragments for many years. I say "suppose" because I really don't know what I'm doing. But one particular dream I had 3 or 4 years ago sounds like a Night Sky dream:

I gazed into the cosmos through a telescope ( which requires I be in an inverted ( head below heart) position)  who's power was something like a nuclear accelerator. Needless to say this dream caught my attention and I've been musing on it ever since.

I've been trying ( with my head ?) to write some verse based on it's imagery and feeling of awe. But thus far failed. The closest I've come to describing it would be the moment of death ( heighten sense of life and death).  Now I return to my mere mortal existence or as Kafka's father ( and mine) said, bread job. Thank you for your writing, particularly your fondness for wayward writers on this and other worlds. 

• Thank you Jeffrey. The Herald Dream is an excellent book about the first dream in therapy/analysis, good you mention. Among other thinkers, Gaston Bachelard of course speaks beautifully on dreams and poetry.

The chapters by Naomi Lowinsky and Monika Wikman in the book are very good. You might be interested, as well, in the chapter by Gilda Frantz on Dreams and Sudden Death.

As it turned out, all the contributors really enjoyed writing their chapters, which comes across in the book - the chapters are interesting, profound, and with a personal touch. As co-editor, it was a fiest to work with this group of experienced analysts/writers. Erel

This reply was deleted.