intro

Why are myths and stories so important to you?

Ironically, myths and stories are important because we have so few that have any value or integrity for today’s issues. I say that classic myths are burnt-out and Hollywood’s “big screens” are hopelessly redundant in themes and soap operatic in message. Game Boys and shoot-’em-ups are all the rage at home, but there are no valuable myths in the depiction of white soldiers shooting up Arabs or undergrads doing beer bongs! What spurs me to write my own new myths are the ethics and principles of permaculture. But this so-called new “soil design science” is down on the idea of a spiritual / culture kit, and desperately needs visionary and sustainable partners to widen and realize a “community-garden future” without electricity, gasoline and nation-sponsored war.

AN INTERVIEW WITH ‘NEW MYTHOLOGIST’ WILLI PAUL   by Sharon Blackie, Editor, earthlinesreview.org

Interview Index

Seeds & Ladders. A Conversation with Permaculture Designer Jenny Pell, Pacific Northwest.

Justice Begins with Seeds Conference - Interview #2 with GMO Educator & Presenter Pamm Larry, labelgmos.org. Presented by the biosafetyalliance.org. May 18 – 19, SF

AppleSeed Permaculture’s New Land Managers Program. Interview with Dyami Nason-Regan and Ethan Roland

Justice Begins with Seeds Conference - Interview with Presenter Katherine Zavala, IDEX. Presented by the biosafetyalliance.org. May 18 -19, 2012, SF.

A Regenerative Ag Incubator for Veterans – Interview with Deston Denniston, Vets Cafe Program (Pac NW).

Transition Man. Interview with John Steere, Environmental Alchemist / Planner.

Crowdfunding for Permaculture Now! Article / Interview with Christian Shearer of WeTheTrees.com.

“Shapeshift Threshold Reverie”. Interview with Maila T. Davenport PhD, AltarPlaces.org, Portland.

The Mythology of Lemmings. Interview by Willi - Article on New Mythology by Kari McGregor, Editor, Spirit of the Times.

“Pushing Away from Capitalism.” Interview with Kim Krichbaum of Eugene Gift Circles.

“AN INTERVIEW WITH ‘NEW MYTHOLOGIST’ WILLI PAUL“, by Sharon Blackie, Editor, earthlinesreview.org.

“A Million Seeds” – Interview with Permaculturist / Author Christopher Shein.

“Urban Land Scouts Interview with Founder Katie Ries”.

The Gratitude Code. Interview with Kindista.org Founders Nicholas Eamon Walker & Benjamin Crandall

“The Invisible Pedestrian.” Interview with Natalie Burdick,Walk SF.

“Oil and Water” : Interview with Pat Moran - Music Director, Writer, San Francisco Mime Troupe.

“Spiraling into Permaculture & New Mythology”- Interview with Shari Tarbet, PhD., OSHER Institute.

“Mythography & the Universal Human” : Interview with Allison Stieger, Principal at Mythic Stories (Seattle).

“Alley Allies Project” : Interview with Katie Hughes, Mill Street Community Planning, Portland, OR.

Hands on Resilience : Interview with Russell Evans, Director of Transition Lab.

See all of the interviews from this period

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Replies

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc9cNHZFTts The Prisoner - Number 48's Trial   I suppose that version of Dem Bones is about networks and connections.

• Is Depth Psychology Alliance the network you sought?

• What I find interesting is that people who think seriously about networks, interactions, and relations rather than things and parts, start using a strange language and finding similarities and analogies between things that usually don’t look very similar. But, it’s always the same language. On the other hand, I suppose it’s the same language that uses an old hippie who used to be taking a lot of acid back in the day. It’s a way of thinking just like any other. My “yes” or “no” answer would freeze your question into a thing. I had a Myspace blog (removed later with all other Myspace blogs, just like some other of my attempts to participate in networks destined to fail) where I had started from the very beginning using active imagination (at least how I understood it from Jung’s books). After some time I collected a lot of strange ideas and concepts I wouldn’t have found any other way, so active imagination seems to be a legit process. In order to use and assess all of that collected material I need relevant situations and interactions. Meanwhile, when I see attempts by me or other people to change something being pulled back to business-as-usual (or minimized), I’ll try not to see it as a tragedy. That altered mindset (a very strange branch within epistemology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology) will still be there “in a drawer”, ready to be used if needed.

• "without electricity" - I doubt that your interviewees agree with this statement. I don't know what motivated Joseph Campbell to talk about the Hero's Journey and how he thought his concept fits in neurology and physics, but there is a (subtle or not-so-subtle) call to adventure at the beginning of each journey. I've read about an interesting metaphor about trying to reach the top of a mountain when you don't know exactly how to choose a relevant mountain. "Without electricity" also means "without information" and "without energy". I think there will be a lot of chaos within a single lifetime and letting energy and information doesn't sound as a wise choice - unless it becomes really, really necessary. My call to adventure (or events and hints that looked that way) didn't "mention" anything about the life without electricity. Asymmetric information and high dependence on energy is another story.

Meanwhile, I am certain that I'll have one child or less.

• Alex - I see the end of corp sponsored electricity but take no joy in this coming era. Just something we need to plan for... wp

• What you are doing by following your intuition is described here: http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1385&context=l... (Editorial essay: networked utopias and speculative futures) and especially in the text FCJ-141 Spaces for Play - Architectures of Wisdom: Towards a Utopic Spatial Practice. As I’ve said a few times in my previous comments, it seems to me that I have a personal myth, a story to be SHARED (I need electricity, at least at the moment), something that will leave a trace in the collective mind. At the beginning it had nothing to do with sustainability. My call to adventure was that I would find a network and talk about stuff and that sooner or later other people would appreciate it.

This reply was deleted.