The Power of Dreams Dream Forum

I have a dream forum {listed above and at the end of my posts} that has been online/internet since 2005 where I analyze/interpret dreams using Jungian concepts.It has 13,000+ posts where dreamers can post their dreams for a FREE analysis. What makes the forum unique is the responses to my analysis and follow up comments. I have found great success in my analysis, so much so there is no doubt in my mind that dreams can be properly and correctly interpreted {analyzed is a more proper term} using Jungian concepts. Possessing an intuitive ability along with an 'intuitive' understanding of Jungian concepts I am able to recognize emotional patterns in dreams and provide an accurate description of the dream message{s}. The responses to my analysis are overwhelming positive to the point few if any are seen as incorrect {this is not an exaggeration}. This can not be by mere coincidence, it 'proves' that dream images and actions can be evaluated for their symbolic and metaphorical references and conveyed in a simple language {as simply as one can when working with Jungian concepts} to the dreamer so they recognize the relevance to their waking life. Not only can I recognize the unconscious emotional energies I also can discern in many dreams personality traits as well as distinct behavior attitudes. I often include these qualities in my written analysis and most always get a positive response.
Some Conclusions I Have Found {Many Fitting Jungian Concepts}
Dreams are longer the great mystery. Here are a few aspects of dreams I have found in my analysis.
1}All dreams if not all dream images have multiply meanings/applications.
2}Many images/actions are universal, more or less fixed, more so than thought previously by most who analyze dreams.
3}The dream is all about the dreamer's emotional energies, in particular those that are conflicting and need resolution.
4}Behavioral and emotional patterns rule the dream and fit with the dreamer's conscious and unconscious life.
5}Most dreams have a distinct structure {often determined to how the dream is written} as Jung has proposed. One particular structure I have found in analyzing dreams has to do the inclusion of a child, a time frame alluding to childhood or other such references. I have found whenever this is in the first part of a dream {the Exposition} it always fits with the dreamer's childhood experiences, most often a commentary on their foundations to personality and actions in later life. I intentionally point this out in my analysis and again receive positive responses.
6} Archetypal references are rare in the way most analysts would look for them. If there are associations to archetypal energies they are mostly general in their application and not as profound.
7} The dream is a part of nature's intent. Much like the immune system is to the body, so to the dream is to the psyche.

I invite everyone to visit my dream forum and read the posted dreams, analysis, responses and comments. Not all dreams receive a response so I suggest you read the posts with several replies. Take time to read a great many of the posted dreams so you can get a true idea of the success I have found with my analysis. One thing to keep in mind when reading the posts is my analysis is most always provided with only the knowledge of the age and gender of the dreamer.

One last comment. Through my own self analysis using Jung's Individuation Process I not only have confronted my inner demons and put them in their proper place, I have also discovered a spiritual identity as well as a creative self. The creative aspect can be seen the my websites I designed and am the webmaster. The Power of Dreams is my most recent venture. My Myths-Dreams-Symbols was my first website and has been online since 1998 {it has 500+ pages dedicated to Jungian psyche and Joseph Campbell}.

I look forward to reviews and comments.
Jerry Gifford

powerofdreams thumb.jpg

childreflection.gif

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jerry, I now see what you mean by point (2). The dream function more often uses a metaphorical language, rather than a symbolical language, which transcends consciousness. A metaphorical language is more like a rebus, which can be translated in conscious terms. And these rebus images are surprisingly universal, despite the fact that they are not archetypes. After all, we mustn't confuse the symbol of the house with the metaphor of the house. The symbol has divine properties. Greek goddess Hestia is the patron deity of home & hearth. From her originates the concept of "sanctuary". It makes sense to me that the dream function more seldom makes use of this "deep" meaning of 'house' and instead presents it as a metaphor.

I tend to agree with your metaphorical evaluation of 'house' and 'car', with the caveat that these metaphors could have a different meaning in cases where they are highly coloured by contextuality. So, for instance, if the car is the very same car that was involved in a traffic accident, then it could perhaps be a forewarning of some calamity, for instance, rather than signifying the present stage of the life's journey. That's why it's important to confirm whether it's a highly "personal" car (i.e. contextual) or whether it's a more anonymous car. In my experience, contextual dream images are fairly common.

I also tend to agree with your assertion that dreams can be interpreted reasonably well outside the analytic setting. We needn't take into account the whole life situation in order to grasp the essentials of a dream, although it helps if we know some contextual material and also the dream history of the person. However, the claim that you've had almost 100% success is not scientifically valid, because it does not suffice to merely rely on the positive responses from the dreamer. Anyway, I have no doubts that you have been successful, which is probably due to intuition, invaluable in relation to dream images.

Jungians should perhaps give more credit to the metaphorical method, and delve less into deep symbolic meaning. It is an interesting point of contention. You should think of publishing an article about it. Poul Bjerre said that dreams can indeed be successfully interpreted and he divided dreams into many categories. I think it is the best yet written on the subject of dreams, but you need to know Swedish or German to read his book. /Mats

• Good morning Jerry - Not sure if you attended the Screen Relations Webinar...I did and made a few comments there.  I really like the child reflection image attached [just noticing I did not notice the attachments before].  I'm hoping you will consent, place that image in and amongst the 9 themes of grief healing albums I share with community.  It is interesting and wonderful to live long enough and have the spare time to be able to get into "the depths" of whatever calls you.  This is such a rich virtual place for us to all understand deeper...always working towards the greater good.  Peace + Love Linda

• Linda,

I apologize for not acknowledging your post. The childhood reflection image is one I created {the reflection part} and use it on both my dream websites. The symbolism is of the inner child reflective as an energy throughout life. If you read my conversation with Mats you will see how much I believe childhood experiences/influences have on later life. I know this is not a Jungian concept but from personal experience and in using it in my analysis of dreams I feel it is right and true. One aspect I have yet to address in the conversation with Mats is the 'mystery', an area I sense you have great faith and experience. I believe in the mystery but believe everything that is exists within nature. There is so much we do not know, can not know and although my objective mind looks for concrete evidence to explain anything and everything, I do believe there is an underlying force/energy within nature that supports the known. Some call it god, I take Joseph Campbell's line in it is beyond knowing. I do believe in the laws of cause and effect {Karma}, have experience in that time and again. 

Interesting you have 9 themes in your grief healing.I see the number nine as the universal number for wholeness as well as the superior feminine aspect. Numbers are important in dreams and although they often have personal associations I believe they have archetypal associations as well. Especially the number 9.

In your response to Mats you mention you do not use the Jungian language but believe in the sensory vibrations within the psyche that come from universal energies. That fits with my belief in the intuitive mind. It allows me to comprehend Jungian concepts without having to go to Zurich for intensive studies. Of course I have no desire to become a Jungian analyst although if my early life had better foundations I could have easily taken that path. As with the archetypes there are other natural aspects we all possess and intuitiveness is one of those. When tapping the universal energies and developing the intuitive mind the available knowledge that consciousness often lacks is enhanced. As much as I am a Jungian I am more so dedicated to Joseph Campbell's ideas {he so elegantly articulates Jungian thought}. You have to believe in the mystery if you follow these two great minds.

Jerry

• I don't believe in synchronicity. I wrote a critique of it here: Critique of Synchronicity

Biological teleology is more plausible because we are, so to speak, designed to grow old and mature. But I believe the teleological ideal of Self as a 'complexio oppositorum' is overwrought. Somewhere along the line it should be abandoned for a spiritual ideal of Self. After all, we tend to lose interest in worldly realization as we grow older. I am not really interested in being a "complete" person anymore. /Mats

Critique of synchronicity
    Carl Jung's idea of synchronicity is criticized. A concept of Self as both worldly and spiritual ought to be substituted for the unitarian model.
  • Hello Jerry! This is interesting. Such quantitative dream work could be a valuable resource for the understanding of the dream function. Your point (6) stands out: "Archetypal references are rare in the way most analysts would look for them. If there are associations to archetypal energies they are mostly general in their application and not as profound."

Arguably, "archetypal" is per definition "profound". If it isn't profound then it isn't archetypal. I wish you would elaborate on point (6). There seems to be a contradiction with point (2): "Many images/actions are universal, more or less fixed, more so than thought previously by most who analyze dreams." But dream images that are universal are per definition archetypal, aren't they? So I wonder what you really mean.

It seems that you have arrived at the conclusion that people are less governed by archetypal energies than the impulse to resolve conflicts and acquire harmony, regardless of the teleological goal of the Self. This rhymes with Poul Bjerre's system. In Bjerre the individuative demand is toned down, at least when compared with Jungian individuation. "Assimilation" is the autonomous expression of the unconscious to acquire harmony and wholeness in the psyche, building on experiental contents and life's possibilities. It is plausible from a biological point of view, since a harmonious individual has better survival value. Comparatively, Jung's teleological form of psychological individuation is hard to explain in terms of evolution. In Bjerre's book "Drömmarnas naturliga system" (Natural system of dreams) he adopts a view similar to your own, namely that dreams have a distinct structure; that they go through phases and remain part of nature's intent, similar to the immune system. Sadly, his book hasn't been translated to English.

Mats Winther

• Hi Mats - your last sentence really resonates with my natural nature, experience and how significant... you compare with similarity to the immune system...for it is only in our recent past [2003 in Canada], folks are paying attention to the "sensitives, pain + immune complex" aspects of survivors with C-PTDS profiles.  I may not use the Jungian language, however, I do believe my use/understanding of wave [undulating theory], anomalies experiences and vibrational medicine's concepts and the complex principles of "state-dependent memory, learning and behaviour," is another one of those "natural systems," I could identify with early on in my late, mid-life academic learnings.  After all, I had spent 25 years working in ICU and what does a trauma nurse do when she retires...she becomes a trauma counsellor - sounded logical to me back then [what was I thinking - so naive at 37].  Wow, 30 years has passed and all I can say is my respect/regard for the deeply embedded [state dependent] imprints, blueprints [trauma response container concept], and the spiritual [psyche/soul matters] appear to be the most critical and important elements...in the end...so to speak..in my understanding...Peace + Love Linda     

• Mats,
      I appreciate the reply. This is an important conversation and although I know few 'academic' Jungians will take it seriously {I am self educated in Jungian psyche-22 years of study and application} I am confident in my statements. When a person finds success then there is a reason for it. I have a body of work that illustrates my method of dream anlaysis as well as its success. I measure that success on this work {online Dream Forum} and anyone who wishes to inspect this work can do so and determine for themselves whether there is merit in what I propose.

The important message I want to convey is all dreams can be analyzed and interpreted properly and successfully using Jungian concepts. Dreams are no longer the great mystery we want to think, the images/actions are symbolic/metaphorical and using 'basic' Jungian concepts the images/actions can be interpreted and applied to the dreamer's life. I analyze and interpret dreams succesfully at my Dream Forum, not with random success but with almost 100% success {gauged by the response to may analysis from by the dreamer}. And I do so with having very limited knowledge of the dreamer {age and gender}. I do possess a 'developed' intuitive mind {I think of myself as an 'intuitive Jungian'} and do more or less side with Freud when it comes to childhood experiences/influences as being 'the' more important component to personality and actions later in life {although not with the psychosexual development Freud proposed} .
      To addess your questions. In point two when I say most images are fixed/universal I mean they more likely to have a general application in every dream. A house would represent the dreamer, being in the mother's house would be the mother's relationship to the dreamer. Because the dream is about the dreamer's emotions all images point back to the dreamer. I find this to be consistant in dreams and when I apply it to my analyze I find positive results. The same is true with a car. It is a general description of the dreamer's path in life. Both images would most always {never say never, there are always exceptions} have the same application to the dreamer {I have found these two images to be the most common in dreams}.

AS for point 6 and archetypes, I have a different take on their importance in most dreams. At least in the distinct forms we would think of their presence. They usually appear at important times in the dreamer's life but in general I don't dwell on trying to define archetypal energies. I don't see many images like that of a 'Jekyll and Hyde'. Instead the images would be more personal, in the form of Ben and Jerry {the latter having associations to the dreamer}, general references to current emotional energeies/conflicts as well as to the deeper aspects of the dreamer's psyche {often pointing to foundations to personality traits/attitudes}. They can have archetpal associations since the psyche is governed by the archetypes. The deeper aspects is where the archetypal energies would apply but their presence in everyday dreams are not profound. In short I don't look for a 'shadow' unless it sticks out so strongly it demands my attention. The anima/animus is a consistant energy but I only reference their presence so the dreamer will have some understanding of the archetypal energies. If the dreamer has an under developed masculine aspect I try to convey what that might be in the dreamer's personal life and not dwell on the archetypal energies that govern them. In short I want to pen my interpretation in as simple language as possible so the dreamer understands my analysis. This i believe adds to my succes in getting the dreamer to see how the analysis fits in their life. I get a lot of Ah! Ha! type responses because my analysis strikes a cord withinthe dreamer's psyche.

In summary I don't conclude people are not governed by archetypal energies. It is the opposite. What I do is not dwell on their prescribed energies but rather attempt to put into words a general description of how they apply to the dreamer's life. A house is the dreamer, a 'universal' symbol {we all live in houses/dwellings} and the dark, hidden basement in that house would point to archetypal energies. If the dreamer understands what the house represents then the deeper influences can be summerized in terms the dreamer will understand also {using general and not academic language}. If I as a 'lay person' can successfully analyze/interpret dreams with the limited knowledge I have about the dreamer, image what a trained Jungian analyst could do. Yet I still find it impossible to read where academia has stated dreams can be successfully analyzed and interpreted. The more common assessment is we still do not know enough about dreams to say conclusively they can be translated. It is not that hard to recognize the emotional patterns in dreams that define the true self, the true emotional state of the dreamer's psyche. Is it?
      http://www.powerofdreams.net/dreamforum.html#bn-forum-1-1-286356652...
      Jerry Gifford

The Power of Dreams-Dream Forum/Dream Analysis and Interpretation
      The Power of Dreams - dream interpretation/analysis, personal growth coach, Jungian dream psychology
    • "Comparatively, Jung's teleological form of psychological individuation is hard to explain in terms of evolution." - There seems to be a work that someone more capable and eloquent than me should finish. My attempt to do that is published here: http://www.igi-global.com/book/rethinking-machine-ethics-age-ubiqui... I combined (among other people) Jung (individuation and synchronicity), Aristotle (four causes), Robert Rosen (anticipation), and Terrence Deacon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incomplete_Nature). For instance, Jung's and Deacon's works just beg to be combined, Jung with synchronicity and individuation and Deacon with four causes (a totally alchemical approach - mind and matter, four elements) and teleodynamics.

Can synchronicity/dream/vision be too meaningful and bizarre for its own good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuHCgMv_Krw I Origins, Salomina (Jung in the Red Book had "conversations" with Salome - perhaps the similarity between those two names is a coincidence and nothing else)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So9yh9jFo10 Interstellar - You Were My Ghost

Those two videos/films are seemingly telling the same story of a male character with a doubt whether to "fly away" or stay on the solid ground, while a female character had visions/dreams as a child. Or it's just in my very loose interpretation - something Linda (the author of the first comment) and I were discussing in the Red Book lectures.

• Good morning Jerry - thanks for sharing your review of your past decade of on-line dream analysis and I sure do hope you will join in the upcoming Webinar on "Screen Relations."  Peace + Love Linda 

This reply was deleted.