Dear members of the depth psychology community, 

Like many of you, I was stunned by the outcome of the U.S. Presidential election yesterday, November 8, and have spent the day mourning for so many things that feel like they have been lost. As a woman, I am keenly aware that the moment for electing our first woman president has evaporated, but on a much deeper level, I am also profoundly distressed by the election of someone who is so clearly disrepectful of women and lacks compassion and understanding for so many who are marginalized, including other minorities, other species, and planet itself. I wonder how all these deep feelings, including anger, are going to be manifest in coming weeks, months, and years.

Like some of you, also, I seem to bounce between feeling numb and being distraught, even questioning on some level what role I play in all of this, and whether the calling I feel to make depth psychology more accessible in the world actually does a bit of good on some many levels. And yet, I know I must have hope: hope for our future, for our young people and generations to come; for everyone who is suffering and will continue to suffer in the face of a political system that favors certain groups over others. 

We live in a world that is as challenged as it has ever been, and yet I maintain a powerful faith in the patterns at work in a world where change is the only constant. I know there is something bigger at work. I am certain I see only a narrow slice of what's at work. I believe in the idea that nature is constantly reaching out to us to pull us back from the brink of extinction (an idea I first encountered in Jerome Bernstein's groundbreaking work, Living in the Borderland.) Some part of me wonders if Donald Trump had to be elected because it will serve as a catalyst to something new; because people will be more innovative in creating change, be inspired to action in a different way, collaborate together with those they may not have engaged with before.

Ten years ago I experienced a profound awakening of my own—so powerful it sent me into what Stan Grof aptly terms "spiritual emergency"—basically, when something spiritual happens that sends one spiraling into emergency. Somehow, at that time, I believe I managed to tap into something bigger than me, a pattern at work in which I play a part and which is playing out not only for the good of each of us individually, but for us as a collective, a species which is resilient, conscious, and able to evolve and learn and love one another. What I experienced then was a taste of what we truly are as divine souls, and the stunning realization that as earthly beings caught up in human bodies and conditioned by culture outside our control, we have truly "settled" for something we can't begin to grasp. Each of us is different, and perceives our lives on earth in different ways, and we each must find our way to carry the torch for new beginnings, for hope in humanity, for belief that we can truly evolve as a species. I think being willing to participate in community is one of the ways these things can manifest. I hope you believe that too.

If anyone feels moved to share your own thoughts and feelings about all of this, please feel free to respond below. If you have criticisms or comments on political parties or policies, maybe your forum is elsewhere. If you wish to provide a depth psychological response or lens, or simply an authentic contribution (it could even be in the form of art or poetry), please respond below, and let us each hold one another in love, compassion, and a willingness to hold the tension as much as we possibly can.

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Klemens - thank you and well said, and may I add that I watched the US campaign/news with great interest from a slightly different perspective [Canadian] and truly listened to what was maximized/minimized...on what was given voice and what remains hidden - silenced.

I too, do not believe this was a gender issue, and simply hope our politicians [Liberals] learn from the rise and fall of the US Democratic party [both in power + grace], because our continent [North America] is totally democratic, our citizens all have the right to vote, and this time around, the majority [common folk] voted for the agent of change.  

If we are "reacting" may I suggest these reactions are a gift for they originate from our own depths, were contained within, and now manifesting for us to resolve. Let us not take our individual unresolved issues into the streets and project.  

Not so long ago songs were being written about dancing in the streets  

Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night) - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqAvFx3NxUM

Like you...I'm too am relieved and welcome change, it is time for less protest and more music in the streets.

Peace + Love Linda  

• Dear Bonnie:

So sorry to hear that you are upset about the election result. The truth is that the stars actually favoured Trump for reasons I explain in my blogpost. 

Astrology of the US Presidential election https://goo.gl/zJ71Ck

Best wishes,

Javed

Astrology of the US Presidential election
    Readers are urged to go through two earlier posts [1][2] on the US Presidential elections. Here we present a further confirmation of h...
    • Education Institution

There is a reconciliation event happening from Washington DC, presented via livestream on Facebook by some of the forward-thinking spiritual leaders. This will take place this Sunday, November13th from 12 pm to 2 pm PST. More information and to sign-up

http://www.dayofhealing.us

• "If night had never come

We would be unaware

That far above in space 

The stars are there"

—Unknown author

This reply was deleted.