Friends,

I am posting a paper I wrote for Pacifica regarding the phenomenon of Donald Trump. It is an analysis of what is happening from a Jungian perspective, outlining the underlying dynamics of our current environment. I believe we as a country need to look at the implications of Mr. Trump's popularity. We ignore this reality at our own peril. I hope it is useful for anyone inclined to read it.

The Trickster of 2016_Understanding the Phenomenon of Donald Trump.pdf

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Interesting perspective on his individuation process. I hope he is, but it is hard to discern the real man from the public persona. I guess he's not unique in that. Just much more obvious. Thanks for the conversation, and the reference to the Tom Lavin material at Pacifica. I will check that out.
  • I loved your paper, Julia! Thank you so much for sharing it. It doesn't lessen my worry about the fact that so many individuals seem to be losing their minds, but it at least helps me understand what's behind it. Keep writing!

• Organization

Julia

i appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to express and share your ideas in regard to Donald Trump. I happen to vehemently disagree with them. Trump's self adulating and vainglorious appreciation of himself and his achievements represents one of the highest expressions of the masculine spirit. Another famous American  Muhammad Ali expressed the same sentiment this way "I AM THE GREATEST." And most middle class mothers tell their children to go out into the world and become the best person and achiever that they can possibly become. The Olympic motto of faster higher stronger is supposed to be what we all aspire to as human beings. Trump lives and feeds off his spiritual desire to be the best at what he does. This is good. This is masculine. He has made billions of dollars in the real world out of his spiritual obsession with being the best at what he does. He doesn't  hang around with convicted pedophile procurers  like the bored prince randy andy or the jaded pervert bill clinton. He has an empire to build. That he enjoys the adrenaline rush stemming from his success only inspires him to go higher faster and stronger. This individual built his empire out of his own inner resolve and resources. Besmirching one of the highest expressions of the human spirit does not reflect well on your analytic judgement. I'll leave it there because I appreciate the fact that you stuck your neck out there and placed your thoughts on the line. I appreciate your courage in that regard...

• Publisher

I'm going to have to take exception to some of this, with the benefit of more than 6 months of later developments.  It turns out that Donald Trump does hang out with pedophiles and has been accused of raping women and 13-year-old girls.

Secondly, The United States of America represents the essence of the human spirit allowed to develop to its fullest potential to date.  Donald Trump does not.  

I'm happy to note that it's very rare for the schoolyard bully to be elected President of the Student Council.  Most of us aren't that dumb.  Oh yes, the "polls" say the election is equaling out, but that's just the media keeping up the hype to sell their soap, and the politicians scaring people so they'll keep donating and vote.  The truth will be known on November 8th, and like Mitt Romney, my sense is that Mr. Trump will be shocked by the result.  

• One of great loves is Ice Hockey. I had a scholarship to play hockey at Brown. If I'm not mistaken Donald Trump is a New York Ranger fan. Because I was born in Chicago and my father was a Blackhawk fan I root for the Blackhawks ( I agree pretty lame) .  It's a weak analogy but one of the things that make the Blackhawks so good lately ( 3 cups in 7 seasons) is naturally their talent but more over their organization. If you look at their organization it is equally weighted ( not top heavy with executives). Scouting, nutrition, training all the way to Rocky Wurtz ( owner) have equal value. Something "Dollar Bill"  ( Rocky's Dad) was to unable to implement. The old King had to die ( the domineering ego power drive) before a more reasonable humble Son could take over the family business and bring championships to Chicago. The fans (mostly conservative republicans from the Suburbs use to Boo Dollar Bill when his name was mentioned) . Trump strikes me as the old guard as far as I'm concerned. Also your comments on Ali ( he could move like no other) don't resonate with me at all. Again overly simplistic. Also the Women's  article points out Don's bankruptcies ( damage and dependency) . Very different that Bernie's Wife who works in a "teen" center in Burlington Vermont. regards, 

• I was in the sleeper mode for a while and I guess Klemens the man deserves some support this time.

First and foremost; What does that "Vladimir Putin administration" actually mean? What does make that administration more arrogant and violent than any American administration? He is arrogant and ignorant as much as anyone else. Chechnya does deserve to separate from Russia if and only if they can provide normal life for the people under their rule (and they can't - they were ISIS before ISIS, just like Bosnia and Kosovo). Victoria Nuland is the de facto president of Western Ukraine. Speaking of administrations - who and when did vote for her?

Donald Trump has a disturbing lack of knowledge (or understanding of Persona and Shadow mentioned in that paper talking about foreign "administrations" - a person talking about Shadow while dealing with an enormous Shadow) about some issues. I don't share his emotions about the other and different, but at least he says what other people feel. He hasn't started the war of "civilizations". He has just noticed it. It would be a very, very bad idea to accept potential terrorists after waterboarding in Guantanamo and Abu Graib and imprisonment of Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange.

• This was great fun, Julia!  It's given me a great deal to chew on.  You seem to have really nailed some aspects of The Donald.

I've been working out a perspective based in typology.  Van der Hoop, who was analyzed by Jung for six months, wrote a book on typology fifteen years later, after practicing as an analyst and interacting in depth with patients and immersing himself in typology.  In his book on the topic, Van der Hoop did some interesting switcheroos with Jung's vocabulary.  One of the switcheroos is that instead of referring to the "sensation" type as Jung did, he refers to them as the "instinctive" type.  Now I don't know whether "instinctive type" is a good descriptor for introverted sensation types, but I can see why it might fit for extraverted sensation types.  This type generally does not tend to reflect, but is more inclined to behave instinctively, and their instincts are closely identified with the ego... there is little forethought or afterthought -- there is simply action.  They are the ones who often "become the ball" when playing games, "become the car" when racing the Indy 500, or "become the musical instrument" when performing in a concert.  Their ability to be "present to the moment" is remarkable.

Based on the foregoing... my conjecture is that people are attracted to Donald Trump because he's an "instinctive type" [an ESTP in MBTI parlance] who behaves somewhat like a wild animal.  Rather than showing a polished persona (such as Hillary has developed), Trump is "real" and "lets it all hang out" and "speaks his mind."  And this is invigorating to people.  He is tactical, rather than cautiously strategic and well-considered... which (in contrast) politicians are typically renowned for.  

It's possible that our culture is so disconnected and deadened through our constant exposure to media, technology, and inauthentic "political correctness" that it seems "real" to see an instinctive character show up.  It's like having a wild tiger onstage.  (An old theatrical maxim tells actors never to perform in a play with children or wild animals, because they are so "real" that they will upstage you.)

I also think that our culture has defined its primary values according to power, wealth, and celebrity -- all of which Trump enjoys.  So he is the epitome of our culture's highest values.

It has been said we get the elected officials we deserve.  My fear is that we will end up with Trump as our President because he reflects the values our country has chosen to honor, consciously or unconsciously.  :-(

• Much interesting material here. Your description makes a lot of sense, especially with extraverted types. I guess on some level our culture knows the instinctual is needed. Isn't it just like us to gravitate to the loudest, most raucous form of it embodied in Donald Trump.

I read something by M.L. von Franz in her book Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales last week that stuck with me related to this situation. She writes "..in a population, in a confused way, the simple suffer more than the learned people from the undercurrrents of archetypal development." To me, this says that the people who are supporting Mr. Trump's candidacy, many of whom are not highly educated, may be particularly tapped into the archetypal need of the times. If only he was more conscious and mature perhaps he could actually carry out the trickster cycle and help us to transform into something better.

I wish the parties would start talking to each other about how to deal with his candidacy. It would be a much more worthwhile conversation than they are having. Alas, I am fantasizing again. :-)

• This is great!  I downloaded your paper to share with my spouse Tom Lavin a Jungian Analyst here in the Chicago area.  Tom is doing a presentation at the Jung Center in Evanston April 1st (April Fools Day :-) entitled "The Trump Phenomena"  His talk is not to criticize Trump but to discuss why our culture is so vulnerable to such a trickster.  Who would have thought he could have gone this far?  We as a nation need to study this phenomenon.  Trump has tapped into something.

• Thanks Mary Ellen!

I agree that this is critical to understand. A Trump presidency is a frightening prospect. But, maybe some clarity can come from it somehow.

I wish I could see your husband's presentation, but I live on the East Coast. I'm sure it will be lively.

This reply was deleted.