Conference Theme Ideas

Please post at least one sentence here articulating what you think could work for our conference theme. More are welcomed. Please post by April 30, 2014--sooner if possible:

The member survey about desired theme shows people are most interested in a theme around “depth methods” or Jungian techniques to access the unconscious—very traditional depth stuff. On our committee call, we discussed that we could perhaps still integrate the topic of the “future of depth psychology” by focusing on which techniques are tried and true, how they are being concretely applied, and if/how they are evolving.

I’m excited about the possibilities and ask each of you to submit (by hitting "Reply" below) at least one sentence that articulates a conference theme along these lines (or somewhat related—be as creative as you like and let psyche work you!). 

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For me, the theme is most important and then presenters are brought in to support the theme. I wonder what will get people to come to San Fran for a few days and spend the money to be there. Will the traditional get people to come in person? I do not think so. What gets people out and to spend money and time- dream work, shamanism, personal change practices, established organizations, etc. To do a conference for the first time, what will set us apart and inspire people to spend the money and time to be there? I suggest 2 tracks. 1)New & inexperienced Depth Psychology practitioners, 2) Intermediate/Experienced Depth Practitioners.  

Themes: Past & Future Ancestors: Depth Psychology from one river to many streams. {In this way we can have some items of the traditional and some on innovative ways it is being merged and becoming something new depending on context. Instead of codifying 'this is depth psychology' it is what are all the possibilities for new depth psychologies to emerge. How to we help create contexts for new depth psychologies to be born and how do we nurture them.} 

Colonizer and Colonized: Does Depth Psychology, as an extension of European culture and oppressor, have something of value to give to other cultures of the world?  Can Depth Psychology transform in cultural or ethnic context into a native psychology in alignment with each cultures values? What are examples of successes and failures? Is it Depth Psychology that is flawed or the practitioners and teachers of Depth Psychology that cannot move beyond their own cultural and/or ethnic limitations? 

Depth Psychology and Practices of Self and Community Liberation- Shamanism, dreamwork, ecopsychology, therapy-whatever could be included in something like this. 

I could go on and on. 

Jesse

• Accessing the Depths: Method and Madness in Depth Psychology

• Here is a class that will focus on Active Imagination-- I will be facilitating it at the Center for Spiritual Living in Seattle in June and July, titled: Entering the Temple of the Refrigerator: Conversations with the Food Gods. DESCRIPTION: "Many of us struggle with weight and health. Our assumptions about “what food is” affects the outcome. I propose an archetypal approach, meaning that all foods are incarnations of living spiritual Presences. Any pathological or problematic relationship we have with food and eating may be related to a neglected relationship with “spiritual entities”. As whacky as it sounds, this class will work to make us spiritually literate, able to dialogue with the divine beings resident in Temple of our Refrigerators. Our struggle is not merely with food, but with spiritual insight resident in every bite." This is an area where psyche has worked me! 

This reply was deleted.