Depth Psychology Alliance

Visioning Task Force Meeting Minutes

August 14, 2015

Prepared by Bonnie Bright

IN attendance: Gary, Jesse, Donna, Brent, Eva, Bonnie

First, we articulated or reiterated some of the decisions, conclusions or direction we’ve traversed in the past few weeks on the Vision of the Alliance; then we expanded into some more recent and developing ideas:

AUDIENCE

We seek to attract first and foremost those individuals who have already had some exposure to depth psychology (on a spectrum from either just a little to those who have graduate degrees or are therapists and experts. Some kind of campaign to introduce depth psychology to those who have never been exposed may be a focus in the future.

VEHICLE
 Depth Psychology Alliance is more than just the current web site and we will proceed to make it more visible, pervasive, and accessible by 1) opening the site to make it viewable to the general public (still need to sign up in order to post comments, events, blogposts, etc); 2) starting a Facebook “group” in addition to the current Facebook page as it will encourage and facilitate more interaction/discussion; 3) make the YouTube channel more robust; 4) Encourage local or regional in-person Depth Alliance Meetups, maybe chaired/hosted by key members in certain areas. These kinds of activities and the proliferation of portals to access the Alliance around the web and in key geographical areas will make the organization much more multifaceted, with multiple portals of entry.

IDENTITY
Now that we have ascertained that the organization is more than “just” a discussion forum or web site, we discussed tiers and the proposal that we form a formal “professional society” that would serve paying members who want support for either 1) individual soul work (learning opportunities, experiential encounters, connections) or 2) building or expanding depth psychological work in the world (training, collaboration, or discounted vocational services: (Examples might include such offerings as discounted web design, turnkey marketing and promotional campaigns, personal health insurance, training on how to use social media, discounted industry publications such as Jung Journal, etc.). We discussed how the so-called Depth Alliance professional organization would exist in relation to our expanding understanding of our current identity and mission which still aims to make depth psychology more accessible to more people; we debated how to formally refer to or term such a professional organization (some of us felt existing psychology “professional organizations” do not have good credibility or produce negative images of a “pro organization” (i.e., APA or CAMFT). We discussed whether “society” was a better word and how an Alliance pro org or society might be different (or differentiate itself) from existing pro orgs. We also questioned why people would join and pay for a professional organization and it was proposed that we might choose to focus on being an “incubator” for both individuals wanting to do personal work and those wanting to do depth psychology work as a vocation, including the many graduates with advanced degrees that don’t know what to do with their degrees. We also acknowledged that we need to stay focused on the vision, mission, and desire to offer soul and soulful experiences, connections, etc. and not lose sight of our intention to make this more accessible to everyone (i.e. not become too exclusive). Jesse reminded us that we must keep the Vision, Mission, and Values at the center of whatever structures, processes, and tiers we put in place.

We identified three tiers that would exist moving forward: 1) open access to the public via Internet and social media, including all the archived and ongoing content on the current site including events, blogs, discussion forum, groups, video archives, etc.; 2) registrants who want to post on the Ning site and/or who would sign up to be on our mailing list to receive additional notices and free content; and 3) paying individuals who want additional depth or support for personal growth or for offering depth psychology services. It is not clear at this time whether regional groups would occupy their own tier, or if we might classify them as part of tier 2) registrants who receive notices for local gatherings because they are on our mailing list.

CONTENT / INFLUENCE / OUTREACH

We reiterated our general desire to make sure what we define and proliferate depth psychology well beyond just the work of C.G. Jung, and to be sure to bring the work of other pioneers as well as contemporary thinkers into our circle of influence (i.e. more diversity of content in order to further differentiate us from Jungian societies).

MISCELLANEOUS AND NEXT STEPS

We discussed briefly the pros and cons of seeking non-profit status, the pros including tax benefits, discounts for services the Alliance uses and needs, potential for non-profit employees to have student loans forgiven, ability to get grant money, public perception of an org as a non-profit. We also acknowledged cautions on how much bureaucracy, policy, and politics can be involved in non-profit organizations and resolved there should be a task force focused on the process.

We also discussed if/how offering CEUS might bring more value to the organization and how quickly this could be done, while acknowledging this falls in the domain of the Education Committee.

We touched on the need to let members know right away that the Alliance will be opening to the public for viewing and give them a timeline (September or October 1 at latest). It was agreed we (Bonnie) can simply send a message to them now and give them time to remove anything they don’t want to make public.

We acknowledged the desire to create a new home page that is simplified and easier to use which would link to various parts of the existing community website (currently hosted on Ning). Bonnie will work with a contractor to put something together, even if it is transitional and we want to change it again in the near future. Members of the Vision Task Force were asked to look for existing web sites and make suggestions for features that we might be able to emulate.

On revisiting our current Vision statement, these findings and developments appear to support it well:

“Our vision is to make Depth Psychology universally accessible and to foster meaningful insight into the human psyche and the collective soul. Integral to this vision is the spirit of service. We aspire to serve as a source of warmth, replenishment, and interconnectivity in the ongoing process of tending to soul.”

With these developments and clarifications, it is recommended that the Vision Task Force has completed its work and can be dissolved, and a new task force be convened for visioning and creating the professional society and another for exploring the non-profit route, and perhaps a subcommittee (under Outreach?) for supporting or further developing a social media strategy.

Please offer feedback below.

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If the file is too big, it spits it out! Let's see if this works. Thanks for letting me know, James.

• Sounds great Dorene,...but I don't see the documents...?

I also appreciate and agree with your earlier comments, and I appreciate Bonnie's extensive minutes of the vision task force meeting. The only thing I would like to add (which may already be in there but described differently) is that many people benefit from the Alliance as a source of information about DP events around the net and around the world. I don't know if that is in the vision, but it seems like an essential function that has differentiated the DPA from other groups who are more about their own programs, etc. I think continuing to emphasize that the DPA is a hub that promotes and honors all quality DP events might be an important element of our vision/mission...is that already in there somewhere...?

• I had a synchronous event happen--a visiting friend gave me some old copies of Dreamtime magazine, issued quarterly by the International Association for the Study of Dreams (IASD). Although I am often in their Berkeley offices for various reasons, I never knew much about the organization.

One of the magazines my friend gave me happened to be celebrating ASD's 30th Anniversary. It contained a number of "look back" articles: 30 years of inclusiveness, their financial evolutionpledge drives, their Heritage Fund for bequests, etc., their annual international conference, regional events, dream research, research grants, and publications.

A second issue had an article describing their board committees.

It occurred to me that ASD may be a good model for us--we can learn from their 30+ years of experience. Or, their mission may congruent with our own, so that they would be a good partner in some way.

Curious, I pulled their Form 990 for 2013 (from Guidestar). Form 990 is a non-profit's tax return, and it is a matter of public record. It contains a wealth of information about their income streams, leadership (including weekly volunteer hours spent), and commitments. At a minimum, looking at ASD's 990 will inform our task force on creating a non-profit.

Please check out the three documents (attached here).

• First attachment: ASD's Form 990

IASD 2013 Form 990.pdf

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/9142888270?profile=original
    • Second attachment: ASD's 30-year retrospective.

• Thank you!

I have 1st and 3rd attachments..but do not see 2nd...?

• Third attachment: ASD's committee structure.

IASD Committee Structure.pdf

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/9142897076?profile=original
  • Thanks for your fine work, all of you on the Visioning Task Force! A few thoughts come to mind that may be of use:

In board meetings and in the comments here about incorporating to form a non-profit and creating a professional association I perceive ambivalence that is worth unpacking so that we can alleviate any fears and make conscious decisions. While organizing ourselves more formally may open us to shadow influences, it is clear to me that the Alliance needs to galvanize/coordinate our collective efforts if we want to be sustainable.

As an OD (organizational development) person, it is true that when groups establish structure (i.e., formal procedures for decision-making, a chain of command) and standards (i.e., criteria for acceptable/unacceptable, beginning-intermediate-advanced, pass/fail) it can provoke competition and power/control complexes. However, we COULD distinguish ourselves by deliberately and expressly putting Psyche in the driver's seat. This was my fantasy in joining this board--that I would not "muscle through" tasks with my Animus driving, as was my habit and required of me throughout my business career. Rather, in my work on this board I have declared to continuously reflect on whether the work/conversations I'm engaged in are bringing me alive, or depleting me (this is how I know if something is my work to do). Assuming this, I also chew on Psyche's timing for the Alliance board and the right balance between action and reflection. Wouldn't you agree that in this particular organization, perhaps more than any other, this should be the commitment of each of us? If not in the Alliance, where is the right environment for Psyche to lead?

If we incorporate and/or form a professional organization, I am excited to explore how we might do it in a particular way that fosters individuation in staff and board, as well as modeling fundamental tenets of individuation for our members.

This reply was deleted.