Beyond the Mask, Week 3, Cancer Rising questions

Cancer Rising:  Element: Water, Mode: Cardinal, Instinctual Ruler: Moon, Esoteric Ruler: Neptune. Exalted Planet: Jupiter

Nurturing, Family and the Creative Imagination: Introduction:

The First Half of Life, Part I, the Instinctual Ruler

Please read page pp. 69-70, the quotations.  Page 72, the two paragraphs on moods and health. Continue reading as far as “Neptune: the Esoteric Ruler,” p. 82.  Skip that section and the story for now.

Next please read, “The Mask in Youth, " pp 87- 88.

Most newspaper readers, even those who know little or nothing about astrology, are aware of the close association between the Sign Cancer and its instinctual ruler, the Moon.

Sometimes in entertainment columns about the Sun Signs, where the 12 daily themes are presented to the general public, the word “Moonchild” is even substituted for  “Cancer,” as if the two are interchangeable. Though that’s not the whole picture for the Cancer Archetype (there’s an Esoteric Ruler too,) the columnists know it’s accurate enough for their purposes.

This is also true of Cancer Rising.  

For this reason, the first set of questions concerns the Moon’s powerful influence upon the persona.

We've now left the Air Element, Gemini Rising and Mercury, for Water, Cancer Rising and  the lunar Rulership.

When you've finished the above reading assignment:

Discussion Question 1: Is there only a minor difference between Mercury and the Moon as instinctual Rulers, or are we making a major shift this week?

Hint:  you might want to consider whether both planets are equally invested in the past, referring to the quotations (pp. 69-70) from people with Cancer Rising, especially Joan Didion.

Are both instinctual Rulers associated with Thinking and Feeling? Are both equally emotional? (Think of the planets in the abstract, rather than residing in individual horoscopes, where they’re modified by appearing in different Houses and Elements.) Which Ruling planet would make the better clinician? Which has the better bedside manner? Which is the better listener or confidante?

Are Mercury and the Moon equally concerned about family? About giving and receiving affection and nurturing?  About caring for need people and helpless animals?

Are both planlets equally receptive to others’ moods?

Both planets are important for writers. But is the Moon better at some themes and Mercury at others?  (The larger world outside one's home and neighborhood?  In social trends and philosophy? (Hint:  Shaw’s New Woman plays or Pirandello’s topics.)

Thinking of the authors in Chapters Three and Four, might one planet be an asset in writing fiction (creating memorable characters that outlive their authors) memoirs, autobiography, biography, poetry, songs and novels?  And might the other be an asset for non-fiction, and plays with amusing banter and snappy dialogue.

Are both equally impersonal, or does one of these planets a) tend to take things personally, and b) tend to draw on personal experience as  background  for books ?  Is one planet more subjective and the other more objective?

Question 2. The Moon as symbol of Mother.  Consider the childhoods of James M. Barrie (author of Peter Pan), of Christopher Isherwood (author of Berlin Diaries, which inspired  “Cabaret,” and  the memoir, Kathleen and Frank,) and of H. Rider Haggard, (author of She and King Solomon’s Mines.)

What, if any, affect did their relationships with their mothers have on their lives and work?  (pros and cons?)  Therapy has been called the Talking Cure.  Could there also be a Writing Cure? 

Question 3. It’s been said that before we create anything new, whether it’s a poem, painting, play, novel or small business, we first need to visualize it. How might the Moon’s Rulership be an asset for Cancer Rising’s creative vision? (Hint: think not only of Blake’s projects, like the Book of Job , but also of Bill Gates’ business vision . He  followed his instincts and left Harvard, much to his parents’ consternation, to develop his product and company.

Question 4) Can you make a case for the Moon being attuned to the Creative Unconscious, dreams and Visions?  (Hint: she’s the greatest light of the Night Sky.) Blake, James M. Barrie and many of my Cancer Rising clients have had remarkable dreams.

5.)  The Cardinal Mode: The Moon and Mars rule two different Cardinal Signs. How does the nature of the Ruling planet strengthen or soften the leadership and administrative style of Cancer and Aries, respectively. If you needed an employer, which of the two Cardinal Signs would you prefer?

Advanced Question for astrologers and astrology students:

Question 6:  Relationships for Cancer Rising/ Capricorn on the 7th House Cusp.  Cancer Rising tends to have a long, stable marriage. usually loves children and invests a great deal of energy in parenting.   

What, if anything, have astrologers and astrology students noticed about their Cancer Rising clients’ relationships? Do the clients tend towards long marriages? Do they enjoy children, like the Cancer Rising people listed on pp.87-88?  (Note: Joan Didion should be added to the list. Hers was a long marriage, though there was only one child, an adopted daughter who, sadly, died last year. Though not in a traditional marriage, Christopher Isherwood was with Don Bacchardi for twenty-some years.)

Question 7:  The Water Element and the Creative Imagination. Water is associated with fertility and with the Creative Unconscious.  Different types of water have been used as analogies to creativity—rain, wellsprings, poetry about oceanic merging (experiences of cosmic consciousness, ) while aridity is used to describe infertility and spiritual dryness. 

Do you think the Moon’s attributes work well with the water Element? Why or why not?

Question 8: The Crab Shell.  Background:  Please read William Blake’s verse (p.82) about his dream as a young man, in which he was a Maiden Queen welcoming an Angel.

The same Angel returned in Blake's old age, but found it impossible to reach the dreamer because of his heavy armor.

Now please read footnote #82 on Blake’s poem, “The Poison Tree,” in the “Mundane Ruler” section, at the bottom of p. 78.

What do you think the hard shell means? Does it get in the way of receptivity?

Question 9: Please read the section on the Esoteric Ruler,  pp 82-86.   Did Blake’s Vision, which occurred while he was painting, have a healing effect?  How can we tell? 

Question10. Cancer and Hypersensitivity. Please read the quotes by Joni Mitchell, p.70. Some lyrics seem to speak powerfully to our emotions while others seem whining. Is her Cancer Rising advice helpful?

Question 11: . Please read “The Shining Fish,” pp. 84-85, on surrender, sacrifice and faith rewarded.  Why do you think Blake choose the theme of Odysseus’ sacrifice for his painting?

Question 12:  please read pp. 88-89 “The Imaginative Mask, Cancer Rising after midlife” and the progressions for Cancer Rising.

What are Cancer’s greatest joys in the Empty Nest period (Virgo and Libra? )Might Natal Moon's position in one of the four Elements describe their sense of fulfilment during the progressions? What qualities might Cancer assimilate (Blake's journey provides a clue.)

Question 13: Jupiter will be in Cancer, the Sign of its Exaltation, from June 2013 through mid July, 2014.  Our quality of life is likely to improve in some way, mundane, spiritual, or perhaps both.

If you'd like, discuss 1)  predictions for the US, a Cancer Sun Sign country ( born on the 4th of July) or 2) what the year might mean for Cancer Rising people, with Jupiter in their First House, or 3) what it might mean for you, in the Natal House Cancer on the cusp Migh the Great Recession come to an end, and life return to normal?

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes! Thanks,  I was hoping someone would point out the correlation of Moon's 28 day motion and women's cycles! The ancients liked the analogy of the force, or pull of the Moon on the tides, with the personalities of strong women

I love the poetic feeling of your second paragraph, the calm that goes with watery associations. There are places in theCaribbean islands where the water is so calm and clear you can see the tropical fish, as long as you don't make waves and chase them off.

Yes, Fire is inspirational, passionate, or, sometimes like Moses and the burning bush, sends a different type of message. It gets our attention in a more urgent or dramatic way. Watching the brilliant orange sunset in Key West, Florida, for instance, where a supersize Sun seems to drop off the edge of the Earth, people tempted to stay an extra few days, set up easels as others are doing, and attempt to capture that moment in time.

On question 6, I do realize not everyone is an astrologer.  In workshops,however, there's often a fan of Assagioli or  Blake who's interested in discussing his horocope a little. In New Mexico, for instance, one of the women in the group lived for a time in a William Blake community, everyone enjoyed hearing about that, and discussing Blake's char a little. I like to see people's interests while on the subject of Cancer creativity.

• 5.)  The Cardinal Mode: The Moon and Mars rule two different Cardinal Signs. How does the nature of the Ruling planet strengthen or soften the leadership and administrative style of Cancer and Aries, respectively. If you needed an employer, which of the two Cardinal Signs would you prefer?

Both cardinal so would be leaders, but in terms of which employer I would prefer - probably it would depend on the nature of the job - if it was a care job - nursing or something then a cancerian leader with the moon would suit as there would be a greater consideration to the emotional impact on things of the rules, tasks etc for both the employees and the clients. 

But if we were talking about an IT manager I think I would prefer a Aries employer who would see the overall picture and know what needed to be done and allocate tasks to people to do. The project would get done on time and everyone would know what to do - providing that is, he or she was able to let go of doing it all him/herself. I think also Aries would be a good employer in situations where the client was difficult and somehow needed to be reigned in to stick to the contract. 

It seems the two would use different techniques - one a leading from behind and empowering people - more moon orientated, the other more active - leading from the front and taking charge. 

• What you say is very true. Different management skills work better in different professions.

• Question 4) Can you make a case for the Moon being attuned to the Creative Unconscious, dreams and Visions?  (Hint: she’s the greatest light of the Night Sky.) Blake, James M. Barrie and many of my Cancer Rising clients have had remarkable dreams.

---------------

Traditionally it always has been - somehow I can see it would have developed as the biggest visible thing in space in the nighttime - so perhaps be considered the ruler of the night but early people, as when we sleep its usually night time and we appear to go somewhere in our dreams, then perhaps as the moon is in the sky it would rule our nighttime journeys in the same way as the sun in the day rules our daytime journeys. 

Not sure if thats the sort of thing you mean here... but thinking way back it seems to make sense to me. Also the idea of visions and dreams being something that comes out of not knowing - out of the darkness so to speak, in a way that is somehow uncomtrollable. Does this perhaps sit well with a moon that shines in the dark lighting the way (prophetic dreams and visions) when things seem dark. And with a body of light that is there sometimes and not others as it waxes and wanes - so our dreams come and go - often as needed. 

As to cancer rising people with great dreams - perhaps it is the moons effect of allowing the unknown a space in consciousness, that allows the interest in dreams and records them and gives them life, maybe more so that other signs?

Just some of my thoughts on this

• Yes. Out of the darkness into the Light! And lunar people will often "honor the dream," as Robert Johnson would say,, by taking time to write it down, along with their personal associations to the symbols and images. Solar, people are less likely to take information from beyond (or outside) the Ego--dreams--that seriously, unless their outer circumstances are not flowing well, at that point they tend to take time for input from the "non-rational" realm,

And you're right, we do need those hours of sleep. The interval is important in many ways.

• Question 3. It’s been said that before we create anything new, whether it’s a poem, painting, play, novel or small business, we first need to visualize it. How might the Moon’s Rulership be an asset for Cancer Rising’s creative vision? (Hint: think not only of Blake’s projects, like the Book of Job , but also of Bill Gates’ business vision . He followed his instincts and left Harvard, much to his parents’ consternation, to develop his product and company.
    Yes, you have to have the idea first, and that's the visualizing.  Cancer Rising could have an abundance of them if he/she were so inclined and in the right environment.  The watery signs can access depths not available to everyone.
    Bill Gates apparently had an obsession with computers since his school days.  I'll bet he couldn't stand Harvard since his mind was engrossed elsewhere.
    Does anyone on this list feel he was surprised by his financial success? 
    • I think he was surprised, too. That he knew Harvard was not the right place for him. I think that later the inventors of the social networking media like Facebook who had a similar type of creativity and followed their inner urges were also surprised at the outcome, and the success that came to them so young.

• I get the feeling Bill Gates was surprised by his success - not sure where from but it feels right. I agree about the moon giving the vision - and perhaps also the ability to follow it - mercury would have wanted a rational first, and then a way to explain it before following it. Moon can just follow the intuition and I see the moon as comfortable with the unknown, so aiding Bill's ability to just leave Harvard with a feeling thats what he needed to do, and lots of unknown about whether it would work out. 

• Yes.  Cancer Rising listens to the intuition, then goes with what "feels right." This saves a lot of time that Mercury/Gemini Rising loses weighing the pros and cons. 

Had Gates waited and finished school, even a few yers later, he might have found himself behind the competitive curve,particularly when it came to finding investors. His was a product whose time had come.

• Hi everyone

I was hoping to do some of this today - looking like I won't get a chance to though (theres a small chance I might get online later tonight) - I am off tomorrow for the weekend visiting friends so its unlikely I will do anything then - I will catch up when I get back though... Just letting you know I am intending to get into this new chapter.. 

This reply was deleted.