Beyond the Mask, Week 3, Cancer Rising questions

Cancer Rising:  Element: Water, Mode: Cardinal, Instinctual Ruler: Moon, Esoteric Ruler: Neptune. Exalted Planet: Jupiter

Nurturing, Family and the Creative Imagination: Introduction:

The First Half of Life, Part I, the Instinctual Ruler

Please read page pp. 69-70, the quotations.  Page 72, the two paragraphs on moods and health. Continue reading as far as “Neptune: the Esoteric Ruler,” p. 82.  Skip that section and the story for now.

Next please read, “The Mask in Youth, " pp 87- 88.

Most newspaper readers, even those who know little or nothing about astrology, are aware of the close association between the Sign Cancer and its instinctual ruler, the Moon.

Sometimes in entertainment columns about the Sun Signs, where the 12 daily themes are presented to the general public, the word “Moonchild” is even substituted for  “Cancer,” as if the two are interchangeable. Though that’s not the whole picture for the Cancer Archetype (there’s an Esoteric Ruler too,) the columnists know it’s accurate enough for their purposes.

This is also true of Cancer Rising.  

For this reason, the first set of questions concerns the Moon’s powerful influence upon the persona.

We've now left the Air Element, Gemini Rising and Mercury, for Water, Cancer Rising and  the lunar Rulership.

When you've finished the above reading assignment:

Discussion Question 1: Is there only a minor difference between Mercury and the Moon as instinctual Rulers, or are we making a major shift this week?

Hint:  you might want to consider whether both planets are equally invested in the past, referring to the quotations (pp. 69-70) from people with Cancer Rising, especially Joan Didion.

Are both instinctual Rulers associated with Thinking and Feeling? Are both equally emotional? (Think of the planets in the abstract, rather than residing in individual horoscopes, where they’re modified by appearing in different Houses and Elements.) Which Ruling planet would make the better clinician? Which has the better bedside manner? Which is the better listener or confidante?

Are Mercury and the Moon equally concerned about family? About giving and receiving affection and nurturing?  About caring for need people and helpless animals?

Are both planlets equally receptive to others’ moods?

Both planets are important for writers. But is the Moon better at some themes and Mercury at others?  (The larger world outside one's home and neighborhood?  In social trends and philosophy? (Hint:  Shaw’s New Woman plays or Pirandello’s topics.)

Thinking of the authors in Chapters Three and Four, might one planet be an asset in writing fiction (creating memorable characters that outlive their authors) memoirs, autobiography, biography, poetry, songs and novels?  And might the other be an asset for non-fiction, and plays with amusing banter and snappy dialogue.

Are both equally impersonal, or does one of these planets a) tend to take things personally, and b) tend to draw on personal experience as  background  for books ?  Is one planet more subjective and the other more objective?

Question 2. The Moon as symbol of Mother.  Consider the childhoods of James M. Barrie (author of Peter Pan), of Christopher Isherwood (author of Berlin Diaries, which inspired  “Cabaret,” and  the memoir, Kathleen and Frank,) and of H. Rider Haggard, (author of She and King Solomon’s Mines.)

What, if any, affect did their relationships with their mothers have on their lives and work?  (pros and cons?)  Therapy has been called the Talking Cure.  Could there also be a Writing Cure? 

Question 3. It’s been said that before we create anything new, whether it’s a poem, painting, play, novel or small business, we first need to visualize it. How might the Moon’s Rulership be an asset for Cancer Rising’s creative vision? (Hint: think not only of Blake’s projects, like the Book of Job , but also of Bill Gates’ business vision . He  followed his instincts and left Harvard, much to his parents’ consternation, to develop his product and company.

Question 4) Can you make a case for the Moon being attuned to the Creative Unconscious, dreams and Visions?  (Hint: she’s the greatest light of the Night Sky.) Blake, James M. Barrie and many of my Cancer Rising clients have had remarkable dreams.

5.)  The Cardinal Mode: The Moon and Mars rule two different Cardinal Signs. How does the nature of the Ruling planet strengthen or soften the leadership and administrative style of Cancer and Aries, respectively. If you needed an employer, which of the two Cardinal Signs would you prefer?

Advanced Question for astrologers and astrology students:

Question 6:  Relationships for Cancer Rising/ Capricorn on the 7th House Cusp.  Cancer Rising tends to have a long, stable marriage. usually loves children and invests a great deal of energy in parenting.   

What, if anything, have astrologers and astrology students noticed about their Cancer Rising clients’ relationships? Do the clients tend towards long marriages? Do they enjoy children, like the Cancer Rising people listed on pp.87-88?  (Note: Joan Didion should be added to the list. Hers was a long marriage, though there was only one child, an adopted daughter who, sadly, died last year. Though not in a traditional marriage, Christopher Isherwood was with Don Bacchardi for twenty-some years.)

Question 7:  The Water Element and the Creative Imagination. Water is associated with fertility and with the Creative Unconscious.  Different types of water have been used as analogies to creativity—rain, wellsprings, poetry about oceanic merging (experiences of cosmic consciousness, ) while aridity is used to describe infertility and spiritual dryness. 

Do you think the Moon’s attributes work well with the water Element? Why or why not?

Question 8: The Crab Shell.  Background:  Please read William Blake’s verse (p.82) about his dream as a young man, in which he was a Maiden Queen welcoming an Angel.

The same Angel returned in Blake's old age, but found it impossible to reach the dreamer because of his heavy armor.

Now please read footnote #82 on Blake’s poem, “The Poison Tree,” in the “Mundane Ruler” section, at the bottom of p. 78.

What do you think the hard shell means? Does it get in the way of receptivity?

Question 9: Please read the section on the Esoteric Ruler,  pp 82-86.   Did Blake’s Vision, which occurred while he was painting, have a healing effect?  How can we tell? 

Question10. Cancer and Hypersensitivity. Please read the quotes by Joni Mitchell, p.70. Some lyrics seem to speak powerfully to our emotions while others seem whining. Is her Cancer Rising advice helpful?

Question 11: . Please read “The Shining Fish,” pp. 84-85, on surrender, sacrifice and faith rewarded.  Why do you think Blake choose the theme of Odysseus’ sacrifice for his painting?

Question 12:  please read pp. 88-89 “The Imaginative Mask, Cancer Rising after midlife” and the progressions for Cancer Rising.

What are Cancer’s greatest joys in the Empty Nest period (Virgo and Libra? )Might Natal Moon's position in one of the four Elements describe their sense of fulfilment during the progressions? What qualities might Cancer assimilate (Blake's journey provides a clue.)

Question 13: Jupiter will be in Cancer, the Sign of its Exaltation, from June 2013 through mid July, 2014.  Our quality of life is likely to improve in some way, mundane, spiritual, or perhaps both.

If you'd like, discuss 1)  predictions for the US, a Cancer Sun Sign country ( born on the 4th of July) or 2) what the year might mean for Cancer Rising people, with Jupiter in their First House, or 3) what it might mean for you, in the Natal House Cancer on the cusp Migh the Great Recession come to an end, and life return to normal?

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Question 12: please read pp. 88-89 “The Imaginative Mask, Cancer Rising after midlife” and the progressions for Cancer Rising.
    What are Cancer’s greatest joys in the Empty Nest period (Virgo and Libra? )Might Natal Moon's position in one of the four Elements describe their sense of fulfilment during the progressions? What qualities might Cancer assimilate (Blake's journey provides a clue.)

Cancer Risings love having grandchildren and have no problems making room for them in their lives. 

They would be happy living in a family compound where family interacts on a daily basis and looks after one another. 

Can anyone on this list confirm that their Cancer Rising grandma easily has her feelings hurt, and you know she's a lot tougher than most are aware of?

• My most recent experiences are with Cancer Rising Grandpas who were very hurt when the grandchildren became teenagers and stopped coming to Florida to visit them. One stayed away to play tennis, hoping for a tennis scholarship to college,the others wanted to stay home with their friends (boyfriend/girlfriends.) So, their parents visited,without them.

Both men are tough. Both have lost their wives, but I expect them to remarry in the Libra cycle, to begin anew, One is taking tango lessons.

• 5.) The Cardinal Mode: The Moon and Mars rule two different Cardinal Signs. How does the nature of the Ruling planet strengthen or soften the leadership and administrative style of Cancer and Aries, respectively. If you needed an employer, which of the two Cardinal Signs would you prefer?
    If I were looking for an employee and using Sun Sign astrology only, most likely I would look for an Aries to work with me ('with me' because Aries doesn't work 'for' anyone); he/she would be a self-starter, could easily handle direct talk (because they wouldn't understand the message of anyone beating around the bush), and would have the energy to get the job done and immediately start the next.  In fact, an Aries needs plenty of work or they will stir the pot of discontent with other employees just to have something to do.  
    If I needed someone to supervise other people, I would choose a Cancer.  They would understand an employee's family problems and potlucks on someone's birthday.  People would like to work for the nice Cancer, and they would work well.  Cancer is ambitious, has a good reputation for meeting deadlines and getting the job done.  Of course, Cancer couldn't do it without very good people under her/him, and they take their best with them on the way up.
    • You demonstrate a good understainding of the Cardinal Signs, and it is more likely that you'd know the employer's Sun Sign rather than his or her Rising Sign. If. for instance, you had a friend who worked for the employer, that person would likely know when they celebrated the boss's birthday.  That's a good point about Cancer's taking good people with them on the way up.

• Question 4) Can you make a case for the Moon being attuned to the Creative Unconscious, dreams and Visions? (Hint: she’s the greatest light of the Night Sky.) Blake, James M. Barrie and many of my Cancer Rising clients have had remarkable dreams.
    For me, the idea of the Moon being attuned to the Creative Unconscious is a natural one.  The Moon rules the house at the bottom of the chart where everything that has happened to us and we can't remember resides;  I've read that literally nothing, not even fleeting impressions, are ever lost.  They live in that deepest part of us symbolized by the fourth house.
    For some reason, it sounds nice.
    And then there is Pluto.  In my admittedly limited studies, Pluto seems more the Great Unconscious, neither good nor bad, just an unfathomable natural force like electricity. 
    In comparison, the Moon seems like the gentle West Wind of Pluto.
    What does someone/anyone else think?
    • A beautiful way to put it, these answers to the lunar questions are so poetic. I loved, "the West Wind of Pluto!"  Moon and Pluto are the rulers of the 8th and the 4th, two psychic Houses in the Natural Zodiac, yes, a lot that's mysterious dwells in those Houses. The Moon is the Force that rules the tides, and,yes, Pluto is another unfathomable Force, hypnotic in nature. The 12th, Neptune-ruled, is the other psychic House.

I think of the 4th House also as the Foundation Point, the Alpha and Omega of life, in the sense that it represents where we came in (were born; our childhood years) and where we'll depart, the Midnight point, opposite the Midheaven, (which, symbolically is the Noon Point, the prime of life.) 

Things we have forgotten from our past...yes. And it may be just as well they're left behind in the River Lethe, better that than have them forming a brittle crab shell!

The 4th House is very important for understanding the Archetype. Cancer is a bit of an enigma in that the Waters of the Creative Unconscious are free flowing, on the one hand, yet on the other hand, Cancer is also an authoritarian Cardinal Sign, self-contained, ambitious and competitive.

Women married to very successful Cancers are often surprised in their 60s by their husbands' ability to let go of the power they held in their career. Many look forward to spending full time on a hobby that means as much or more to them as the career did. Again, I think of Bill Gates, who resigned early from his company to devote his time and energy to the foundation he and his wife run.

Some Cancer Rising men have said, "my so-called career looked to me like a long series of projects, and retirement means freedom for a new and different, more interesting set of projects. When they say that, I think os William Blake, happiest with his poetry and illustation projects, but unhappy when comissioned to work on someone else's "baby."

Cancer Rising mothers, powerful influences on the lives of their children, often have a more difficult time transitioning between the Empty Nest years and the Grandmother years.   Cancer Mom's Moon Sign is a key to understanding how difficult the transition will be. (It can be hard if their women friends have grandchildren first.)  If the Moon is is Air or Fire, she's more independent, and likely to have raised independent children It'll be easier to find herself again in the second half of life. If her Moon is In Earth or Water, there's more of a tendency for her children to be dependent longer.

Cardinality is very Yang, and actively engages in life. Yet the Cardinal Signs represented by Houses 4 and 7, Cancer and Libra, seem softer, more inclusive,  Cancer incudes others, the "we" of family, and Libra, the "we" that is the spouse or Significant Other.

As Anne pointed out, the 4th House is the only Water House in the bottom of the chart.  Thank you for that!

• Oh thats interesting moon being at the bottom of the chart... 

Yes I can see the moon as gentle compared with pluto - Pluto feels like the collective unconscious and the unstoppable arising when a real shift is needed - moon happens day to day intuitive inspiration. 

• Yes. but Pluto rules a Fixed Sign, Scorpio's Water isn't as free-flowing. Pluto and Neptune have more to do with the Collective Unconscious, We're caught up in the current. The Waters of Cancer are more personal, our dreams, our little nuclear family. We feel we can plan, we can navigate as individuals, though the tides ebb and flow. But with the outer planets, Pluto and Neptune, there's less illusion of being in control. Jung's dreams before and during World War II, the dreams about the Collective, we'd associate with Pluto, the Fates, the world outside his control.

• Question 8: The Crab Shell.  Background:  Please read William Blake’s verse (p.82) about his dream as a young man, in which he was a Maiden Queen welcoming an Angel.

The same Angel returned in Blake's old age, but found it impossible to reach the dreamer because of his heavy armor.

Now please read footnote #82 on Blake’s poem, “The Poison Tree,” in the “Mundane Ruler” section, at the bottom of p. 78.

What do you think the hard shell means? Does it get in the way of receptivity?

-------------

I would suggest the shell is the boundaries we develop through life - we need them at a certain point, but if we continue placing them over and over in response to pain we experience eventually the 'shell' hardens, and we have too many boundaries which stop us being as intuitive as perhaps once we were. Yes I would say it can get in the way of receptivity - its like the shell is needed, but has to remain soft and flexible to keep the receptivity.

• I can't comment on questions 6 and I don't have charts of anyone with cancer rising. (lost a load of data I collected a few years ago and never replaced it) and I am not an astrologer. 

so

Question 7:  The Water Element and the Creative Imagination. Water is associated with fertility and with the Creative Unconscious.  Different types of water have been used as analogies to creativity—rain, wellsprings, poetry about oceanic merging (experiences of cosmic consciousness, ) while aridity is used to describe infertility and spiritual dryness. 

Do you think the Moon’s attributes work well with the water Element? Why or why not?

------------------

My first connections with water and the moon are things like the tides change as the moon does and the menstrual cycle - both things indicate flow, and the ocean is the symbol of oneness and the connection there feels right - I am not sure thats what you are asking for here though. 

Emotions need to flow to be kept clear - so connection with emotions and water also makes sense to me - and water to the moon from the sea. Creativity I think can spring from a lot of sources really - like fire as inspiration, so on its own I would say there is a link with water/moon and creativity, but there are other links that can be made too - the energy of each is different, firey creativity to me would be like the passion we might feel about something and just have to express it - it could be a view in front of us, or an idea or concept, but watery creativity feels calmer than that to me - like it 'wells' up from within in a slow unfolding, and is in no hurry to get out, but just is. 

This reply was deleted.