Sharing this fascinating article on intergenerational trauma. Here is an excerpt from the article:

"Emerging trends in psychotherapy are now beginning to point beyond the traumas of the individual to include traumatic events in the family and social history as a part of the whole picture. Tragedies varying in type and intensity—such as abandonment, suicide and war, or the early death of a child, parent, or sibling—can send shock waves of distress cascading from one generation to the next. Recent developments in the fields of cellular biology, neurobiology, epigenetics, and developmental psychology underscore the importance of exploring at least three generations of family history in order to understand the mechanism behind patterns of trauma and suffering that repeat....

Yehuda’s research demonstrates that you and I are three times more likely to experience symptoms of PTSD if one of our parents had PTSD, and as a result, we’re likely to suffer from depression or anxiety. She believes that this type of generational PTSD is inherited rather than occurring from our being exposed to our parents’ stories of their ordeals. Yehuda was one of the first researchers to show how descendants of trauma survivors carry the physical and emotional symptoms of traumas they do not directly experience.

Click here for more

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is my work, and what I feel and have felt called to do.  Now I get to help write a workbook, and this is the part I want to emphasize.

• Thanks Bonnie and Darlene - how wonderfully synchronistic to be a part of the revealing, the sharing, the finding of prose to express the mystery...shine some light along the way of experiential and miraculous 4th generation trauma vortex healing.  

We may have met in virtual space, however, we are called and aligned to do so...   Peace + Love Linda

• Excellent. Best item I've read all day, perhaps all week!

• Thanks, Darlene. I felt the same way. It actually gives me hope that each of us can do our own work to transform that aggregated trauma instead of passing it on unconsciously.

This reply was deleted.