The Power of Dreams Dream Forum

I have a dream forum {listed above and at the end of my posts} that has been online/internet since 2005 where I analyze/interpret dreams using Jungian concepts.It has 13,000+ posts where dreamers can post their dreams for a FREE analysis. What makes the forum unique is the responses to my analysis and follow up comments. I have found great success in my analysis, so much so there is no doubt in my mind that dreams can be properly and correctly interpreted {analyzed is a more proper term} using Jungian concepts. Possessing an intuitive ability along with an 'intuitive' understanding of Jungian concepts I am able to recognize emotional patterns in dreams and provide an accurate description of the dream message{s}. The responses to my analysis are overwhelming positive to the point few if any are seen as incorrect {this is not an exaggeration}. This can not be by mere coincidence, it 'proves' that dream images and actions can be evaluated for their symbolic and metaphorical references and conveyed in a simple language {as simply as one can when working with Jungian concepts} to the dreamer so they recognize the relevance to their waking life. Not only can I recognize the unconscious emotional energies I also can discern in many dreams personality traits as well as distinct behavior attitudes. I often include these qualities in my written analysis and most always get a positive response.
Some Conclusions I Have Found {Many Fitting Jungian Concepts}
Dreams are longer the great mystery. Here are a few aspects of dreams I have found in my analysis.
1}All dreams if not all dream images have multiply meanings/applications.
2}Many images/actions are universal, more or less fixed, more so than thought previously by most who analyze dreams.
3}The dream is all about the dreamer's emotional energies, in particular those that are conflicting and need resolution.
4}Behavioral and emotional patterns rule the dream and fit with the dreamer's conscious and unconscious life.
5}Most dreams have a distinct structure {often determined to how the dream is written} as Jung has proposed. One particular structure I have found in analyzing dreams has to do the inclusion of a child, a time frame alluding to childhood or other such references. I have found whenever this is in the first part of a dream {the Exposition} it always fits with the dreamer's childhood experiences, most often a commentary on their foundations to personality and actions in later life. I intentionally point this out in my analysis and again receive positive responses.
6} Archetypal references are rare in the way most analysts would look for them. If there are associations to archetypal energies they are mostly general in their application and not as profound.
7} The dream is a part of nature's intent. Much like the immune system is to the body, so to the dream is to the psyche.

I invite everyone to visit my dream forum and read the posted dreams, analysis, responses and comments. Not all dreams receive a response so I suggest you read the posts with several replies. Take time to read a great many of the posted dreams so you can get a true idea of the success I have found with my analysis. One thing to keep in mind when reading the posts is my analysis is most always provided with only the knowledge of the age and gender of the dreamer.

One last comment. Through my own self analysis using Jung's Individuation Process I not only have confronted my inner demons and put them in their proper place, I have also discovered a spiritual identity as well as a creative self. The creative aspect can be seen the my websites I designed and am the webmaster. The Power of Dreams is my most recent venture. My Myths-Dreams-Symbols was my first website and has been online since 1998 {it has 500+ pages dedicated to Jungian psyche and Joseph Campbell}.

I look forward to reviews and comments.
Jerry Gifford

powerofdreams thumb.jpg

childreflection.gif

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Linda,

You do have my permission to use the image. I consider it an honor to be a part of your personal album.

• JULY 9, 2015  - YOUR CHILDHOOD REFECTION IMAGE:

Good morning Jerry – no need to ever apologize to me for I am grateful you replied to my post.  Your image is very symbolic of my inner child life energy known and experienced throughout my lifespan that is totally my personal experience, right and true as you also acknowledge.  The significance of divine laws and principles inherent in sacred mysteries are of the utmost importance to me, which I do confirm I have great faith and experience with.

For far too long, and especially in the advent of advanced medicine – life support and transplantations; our finite existence and natural life/death trajectories are either interfered with and/or at times, denied. 

There remains much unknown yet to be revealed and discovered, however, I do believe that with the acknowledgement of the “God” particle and “Spirit” molecules within scientific inquiry; humanity does have a chance to restore the sense of mystery and divine principle in its rightful place in the historic books of knowledge - this 21st Century.

If you decide to provide me with consent, permission to use your amazing inner child reflective image, I would like to enter it into my “0” Personal Album – subject titled: 9.31 INNER CHILD REFLECTION image by Jerry Gifford.  Thank you this consideration, I am enjoying reading your posts and look forward to you reply.  Peace + Love Linda

• You know Holly, I would have to do some extensive research to be able to do so {there are 4229 original posts and 13966 total at my Dream Forum www.powerofdreams.net/dreamforum.html}. It is so seldom that it happens I can not remember off hand when it has. And I don't say that just to promote myself. I don't receive feedback from every dream I analyze so you could surmise my interpretation was wrong or I have not connected with the dreamer. I believe the latter is true more than the former. Some that post just don't understand what I provide in my analysis {much like the feeling I get in the conversation with Mats}. Others just don't bother to respond {I get a lot of that}. Once again i invite you to tread the posted dreams, my analysis and the response and follow up comments. If you don't come away with the notion there is something I am doing right, well do the math and then make up your own mind.

Jerry

The Power of Dreams-Dream Forum/Dream Analysis and Interpretation
    The Power of Dreams - dream interpretation/analysis, personal growth coach, Jungian dream psychology
  • Mats,

Before I became a student of Jungian psyche I was a student of Joseph Campbell http://www.mythsdreamssymbols.com/campbell.html. It was Campbell who introduced me to Jung as well as mythology and world religions. Your assumption I am not aware of the associations of the archetypes in dreams and myth is wrong. 

As for the bus scenario. Again you take the academic route in analyzing the images and actions. Because I am not encumbered by strict Jungian concepts I am free to experiment and it is from this I have had my success. Again by following the strict rules of academia you are led away from the dreamer's emotions and follow the rule there has to be a recognizable collective association in every instance. I do believe there are underlying energies to the images and actions but to think they have to be recognized and categorized in analyzing the dream is to forget the individual and focus strictly on the concepts. 

As for childhood experience and Jungian concepts. I mentioned my agreement with Freud in this practice {other than the sexual associations}. I use my own experience as a model for this and having used Jung's Individuation Process to sort through my inner conflicts, applying the childhood experiences/influences has again shown great success in analyzing other people's dreams. Studies have shown that personality is formed by the age of nine and other research suggests that the first three years of life are most important in psyche development. Imprinting from experience and influences in the early years are foundations for development of personality and actions in later life. That shouldn't be hard to understand. Common sense goes a long way in understanding truths.

It is wonderful to be able to look to mythology and find associations in dreams. I believe the associations can be a good tool in analyzing specific behavior but to make it a part of analyzing dreams for the average person can be confusing to them. Again, the freedom to use Jungian concepts without being strict in their applications is where I have found great success. Trying to explain the concept of the Self to someone who is burdened by personal emotional issues doesn't do a lot to get their attention to the importance of dreams. I have found Cinderella type personalities in analyzing dreams but to focus on that {no one is 'perfect' Cinderella} will usually cause the dreamer more confusion to their own emotional problems. The shadow is a common image {but seldom profound} in dreams and although I sometimes reference its presence and energies I don't focus on trying to explain the concept. Instead I often reference one of my pages at Myths-Dreams-Symbols www.mythsdreamssymbols.com/indexmain.html or the the Power of Dreams/www.powerofdreams.net. If the dreamer is interested in learning more about Jungian concepts they can do it on their own time.

Time again I see in your reply strict Jungian concepts. Birth and renewal/death and resurrection are aspects we all experience time and again in life. As a rule I have moved away from referencing specific concepts and instead focus on the message of the dream as it applies to the dreamer. Try explaining the self vs the Self and you quickly loose the attention of the dreamer. It is a matter of approach in my analysis that makes a difference in achieving success. You assume I know too little of Jungian concepts. The axiom 'to assume is to make an ass of you and me' may apply in that assumption.

"Whether it is rooted in childhood experience is unimportant". I see that as a foolish statement. If it is rooted in childhood  and you don't address the roots where does that leave the dreamer? Still governed by unconscious energies  that are personal and dictative. When the analyst is so fixated on the archetypes they neglect the personal. I take the opposite approach with an understanding the personal is supported by the archetypal energies. When I was able to understand the unconscious energies from childhood that governed by actions as an adult I was able to resolve those issues. They no longer were controlling energies in my life. Like father like son unconsciously applied to my personality and actions without me knowing it. When I did realize there were these 'motivators' I was able to undergo that death and resurrection you are so fixated on as a premium concept when analyzing dreams. Personal experience is true wisdom and when it fits with what is instinctively known you can not deny there is something right about the notion it is a truth. What you forget in your statement is the decision to throw out the old way of life is the discipline required to do so.Without understanding why it is necessary, the dreamer continues their old ways. To show them a primary cause of why they do as they do, that gives them reason to change because they have an understanding of the unconscious energies.  Looking to childhood for the underlying causes is the beginning of their understanding because that is where it begins.  

Putting it into as simple words as possible, that is what a person understands. I am not a therapist, I analyze dreams. Have you even visited my Dream Forum and read the posted dreams? Dreams can be great therapy but the dreamer has to understand what the dream is and there is a message in every dream. That is what I attempt to do and if you take the time and read the posts you will see how I connect with the dreamer. You could say a lot is generalized and would fit with anyone. But a deep inspection of my analysis will show there is something right in my approach. The 100% assertion is the only generalization I make and that is to get your attention {although it is fundamentally true}. Criticism is welcome but if you have not visited my forum and read what is there, the only ass in this conversation is those who criticize from their limited point of view.  

Jerry 

Myths-Dreams-Symbols -Joseph Campbell
    dream dictionary, dreams, free dream interpretation, carl jung, joseph campbell, spirituality, comparative religion
  • Matts,

You bring up some excellent points and because I wish to address them all but not over do it in one post I will address some now and others later.

My success is what prompted me to start this discussion. I have been analyzing dreams for 17/18 years and as I have gained experience working in-depth my abilities to analyze/interpret dreams have improved, to a point I not longer question the validity of whether they are proper {fitting within the dreamer's emotional life}. I have always been 'good' at interpreting dreams {started doing that online in 1998} because I do have a keen intuitive mind {I've consciously known this for many years} and have intuitively senesed aspects in dreams that allowed me to give good interpretations. This intuitive sense developed to greater abilities over this period of time and now I can'see/sense' patterns, energies, stories, plots within dreams . Putting what I see into a language the dreamer can understand allows them to connect the dots and realize the message of the dream. It all fits and the dreamer responds with approval. Of course it is the Jungian concepts I have learned that support my intuitive psyche and my thoughts are what Jung proposed was/is a natural part of the psyche and available to anyone who has agreat interest in dreams and studies Jungian dream psyche.

It is to the point most all the responses to my analysis are positive and more often than not the analysis completely confirmed by the dreamer {the dreamer recognizing my analysis fits the dreamer's emotional/perosnal experiences}. there have been times I have questioned my abilities, crediting Jungian concepts that allows me to do well in analyzing dreams. But now that I have developed a 'superior' {than it was} intuitive sense, when I inspect a dream I can see/sense patterns of emotional energies that when put into a narrative speaks to me as well as the dreamer. I believe Jung did this also {not to speak for his genuis}, the dream speaking to him and allowing him to dissect the dream and reveal its message{s}. I am an objective person, looking to science and nature for the answers, but I also believe in the mystery of those things we do not/can not know. I naturally think along 'Jungian lines' and those things he saw are available to anyone who dares take the 'ultimate' inward journey {psychological}.

As for intertpreting dreams at my Forum. With what little knowledge I have about the dreamer {age and gender} it is seldom possible to point to exact personal experiences in days prior to a dream. But I can provide an outline of the emotional energies associated with those experiences, and/or point to the foundations related to personality and unconscious motivators to the actions/reactions of the dreamer associated with those personal experiences {strong emotional energies to the point it causes a conflict}. That is a function of dreams, to help resolve the conflicts, the out of balance attitues, reconcile the emotional energies caused from negative personal experiences {but sometimes positive}. Nature's devise to help heal and protect.

To address your dream example. What I would read from the scenario you provide would be as follows {with my reasoning}: We must take each image/action as an energy associated with the dreamer's emotions/pysche/life and not the husband's psychology. The husband being in the woman's dream is not about her husband's conflicting emotional energies, but are in relationship to hers. Her dream is about her and any named/known person is in relationship to her {unnamed/unknown persons are usually aspects of her own self/psyche}. It is her life journey, not his. This is a very important aspect in anlayzing dreams. Looking at the husband's action as a 'literal truth' will lead you away from her emotional energies, and will unlikely fit in the dream flow or in her waking life, conscious or unconscious. The actions in the dream have to form patterns that come together to define emotional energies {always more than one} within her psyche with the images/actions pointing to a conflict of emotions strong enough for the dream to take up during those hours of unconscious sleep. Her dreams are about her emotions/attitudes/personality/personal aspects and experiences.

The car belonging to her husband's is speaking to an attitude/psyche aspect she possesses which is likely denoting her 'inferior' position in relationship with him {his to her}. Being in the back seat would re-affirm that postion, a lesser role/position where he has control. If she were hitch hiking there would be images/actions that either speak to that or add to the dream actions to define its relevance. Any variations would be related to her emotions and the theme would be her theme.

In summary, my analysis of the dream {as short on info as it is} would be the woman not only is in a lesser role/position/aspect in the relationship with her husband, she could very well possess an underlying attitude that prompts he to be in such a position {was her mother the same type personality? Or the opposite and for some reason she is compensating?}. What happens in life is seldom randomly controlled, there are reasons for everything. There would likely have been a personal experience prior to the dream that prompted the dream because of her internal conflict. Naming that would be nearly imposible with what little knowledge I would have of her. The general attitude would be what would come through as well as any underlying causes {unconscious motivators} that caused the attitude.

I get nothing but positive results when applying this method in analyzing dreams. Not everything I do strictly follows the Jungian line. Some things I intuitive sense and follow that. I generally believe we all have childhood issues that are underlying/unconscious motivators in later life {a common sense thing is it not?}. The woman in your example would have a general attitude partly if not wholely formed in childhood. As long as this attitude is unconscious/unknown its power to influence and motivate will survive {some are naturally resolved with maturity, others through therapy/self inspection, still others are never resolved}. It is these underlying energies that I sense and when penned into simple words strike a cord with the dreamer {even if it is an unconscious attitude there can still be a recognition of a 'truth'}.

Now to your contention I do not use Jungian concepts in anlyzing dreams {not offended-just not understood}. I don't make use of the archetypes in wording my interpretation but I do understand their energies and apply those to my analysis. As underlying energies. The problem with academics is they expect there to be something profound in a dream that points to a specific archetype and that archetype has to be named and explained {i've done this in the past but it was confusing to the dreamer}. The dream is a play with major and minor caharcters all of which are important. All the characters have association to some archetypal energy and the major characters will point to specific archetypes. But instead of focusing on the specific archetype and naming it, I focus on the energy pattern and do not bother with academics of naming a 'shadow' or why it is an archetype. I try to provide a reason why the energy exists within the dreamer's psyche and not confuse the dreamer with having to learn and understand the details of Jungian psyche. I sometimes use mythology to compare a dreamer's character to the universal meaning. It is the emotional patterns laid out in simple wording that adds to my success in analyzing dreams. To think I do not use Jungian concepts is not to know me {which you don't}. I am an intuitive, it is already there. Academia is learned and much like driving a car a person who doesn't have direct access to their instincts will be at a disadvantage. If there is both intuitive knowing and academic training, I would love to know those people because they have much more to learn from.

I'll close this part of our conversation. I will address the 'mystery' as well as compensation in my next post. I do appreciate your feedback and honesty. If you have not visited my Dream Forum I ask that you do so. Read the posts with larger number of replies. See for yourself. I sometimes break down a dream by image/symbol because I look at the forum as learning place {I have many regular visitors}. And if you haven't realized it as yet I am the webmaster of several websites, and as with Jungian psyche I am self taught. The websites are my creative self, my way of expressing my true self. I don't use any software in designing my sites, I use pure HTML {the computer language devised to allow website creation, in a form of CODES/symbolic language}.

Like Jung I feel it important to interact with the dreamer {my natural personality} and as I have stated more than once use words that the dreamer will easily understand. If I wish to reference something I usually do so by pointing to pages at my websites which have many pages on Jungian dream psyche {Myths-Dreams-Symbols, online since 1998, has 500+ pages}. You will see this also in my analysis. I have worked with people most of my adult life {health codes inspector for 12 years. Self employed contractor for 37 years} and know people {intuitive instincts have been valuable in thsi regard}. I have a different perspective in life and I use my people skills in analyzing dreams. My sensory abilities are intuitive but also with experience {I intuitively know you within seconds of meeting you}. I think this is important in my success in analyzing dreams. I am able to sense patterns as well as communicate what i sense in words people understand and connect with. Anyone with a good understanding of Jungian psyche and who possesses a developed intuitive sense should be able to analyze/interpret dreams. Lacking one or the other, not so much.

Jerry
    • "My success is what prompted me to start this discussion. I have been analyzing dreams for 17/18 years and as I have gained experience working in-depth my abilities to analyze/interpret dreams have improved, to a point I not longer question the validity of whether they are proper {fitting within the dreamer's emotional life}. "

Can you give us an example of an interpretation where you were wrong and explain how?
    • Jerry, instead of using the names of archetypes, you could characterize the archetypal energies with deities from religious history. It's worthwhile to know some mythology and comparative history of religion.

Indeed, it is her life's journey, but it occurs in togetherness. So, if the dreamer is travelling on a bus, passively seated at the rear, it would mean that the dreamer's life journey occurs in a passive way, following the route of the collective. So it is not only his/hers journey. Rather, the bus signifies the journey of the collective.

To analyze in terms of the encumbrance of the dreamer's childhood experience isn't exactly a Jungian concept. Jungians tend to play down the importance of childhood experience. Instead they shed light on the habitual ways in which we adapt to present-day life.

However, the notion of breaking out of the old shell, sometimes (but not always) appropriated in childhood, coincides with M-L von Franz's analyzis of fairytales, in which the old king must step down in favour of the young king. It also coincides with Poul Bjerre's idea of "death and renewal" as central themes in individuation. If personality is stuck, a renewal must take place.

But this means that the old Self is abandoned and what has been achieved is thrown off. Thus, individuation can mean destruction, in the sense of breaking out of an old shell. It conflicts with Jung's view of the psyche as a teleological system that is seeking integration. Since the telos of the Self is wholeness, it cannot possibly work toward the destruction of wholeness (cf. here).

Thus, the notion of psychological integration is insufficient. There is also a destructive force at work, which serves to destroy the old edifice, allowing room for the new. I am skeptical of putting too much emphasis on childhood experience. On the other hand, it seems that the notion of overcoming one's old attachments and inhibitions remains central. Whether or not it is rooted in childhood is unimportant--what matters is taking the decision to throw out the old way of life. /Mats

Critique of Individuation
      Individuation as the process of maturation is related to the spiritual way. The ego abandonment of mystic tradition must be taken seriously.
  • Mats,
    The images/actions in dreams are both symbolic and metaphorical although metaphorical is a better term. The car is the dreamer as is the house, each is a symbol for the dreamer {or some aspect of the dreamer}. Those who post at my Dream Forum better understand a symbolic reference {which probably fits with their conscious mind} whereas a metaphor is something they find hard to warp their minds around. I remember Joseph Campbell's story about being interviewed by a uppity radio personality who didn't know what a metaphor was. Campbell used the deer as an example and the interviewer stated the metaphor would be 'I run like a deer'. Of course Campbell responded by saying no, a metaphor would be you 'are the deer'.  Only in myth and dreams can a person be a deer, the symbol{ic} image of the deer representing the dreamer.  The symbol is the image and an image of a house is a reference to the inner house. When we look at dreams as pointing inward psychologically, it is then dreams begin to speak loud and clear and the intended message can be understood. 

As far as a car accident, I look at the car as a reference to a metaphorical aspect of the dreamer's psychological journey which, when understood as such would point to another metaphor reference/symbol in the accident. Because all dreams, all dream images have at least two meanings/applications the dream accident could point to the emotional response related to a literal accident {if there was an accident in waking life}. But it would also point to something deeper, aspects related to personal developed and experiences/influences from early life. I strongly believe dreams address underlying foundations to personality and causation in later life, experiences/influences from childhood in particular {the earliest years in life being the most important in psyche development/imprinting}. When I apply this to my analysis I always get positive responses. I often see/sense personality traits/attitudes in dreams and again receive positive responses when I include them in my analysis. With what little I know about the dreamer {age and gender} it is the deeper aspects I can discern much more so than recent personal experiences. I call these deeper aspects unconscious motivators. Again it is the language I use in my analysis that is as important as what I provide as an interpretation.

I must note that I do not believe dreams as a norm predict or forewarn. As Jung states they compensate what we already know. If something happens in waking life that was in a dream it is because the dreamer had some sense it could/would happen. Not to say dreams can not predict. Jung covered that and to say differently is not in my experience.

As for the 100% success, that is a statement to the responses I receive from my analysis of posted dreams. As Jung said, if it fits it must be a proper interpretation. Wording the analysis so the dreamer will recognize waking associations is as important as the analysis.

There has to be validity in my assertion that dreams can be properly and correctly analyzed/interpreted or my 'success' rate would not be what it is. This is the message I wish to communicate. Dreams are no longer the great mystery. Using Jungian concepts all dreams can be analyzed and interpreted correctly. If I have this type success with what little knowledge about the dreamer I have then greater knowledge about the dreamer will lead to even greater success. Dreams are a direct link to the unconscious and whatever is true is in the dream. People tend to recognize the truth whether it be conscious or unconscious. 

It would be great to be able to read about Poul Bjerre. His assertion {as you state it} dreams can indeed be successfully interpreted is the message I want others who work with dreams to recognize. And it doesn't take a trained Jungian psychiatrist or psychotherapist to do so. Look at my 'success' as an intuitive Jungian.  Take into account I had never even heard of Jung until I was 42 {I am 65 now} then it is worth noting what Jung discovered must be available to anyone with a developed intuitive sense. The concepts he discovered are already there waiting to come out. They are a part of the prescribed set of governing principles within the psyche and I have been able to tap into those to do with dreams. If I can do it with my 'average' intelligence then there must be vast number of others who can also.

Jerry

• Jerry, it just seems a brash thing to say. I wish I could say that I had a 100% success rate in anything that I've undertaken in life.

Say a woman dreams that she sits in the backseat of a car owned by her husband, who also drives the car. Does this not mean that the car is a metaphor of her husband's life's journey, and she, in a sense, is hitch-hiking? (not necessarily a negative thing). So, I mean, there are great many variations on a theme.

Life is a mystery, and so dreams are a mystery, too. If dreams sometimes contain archetypal symbols (like you say) then they cannot be 100% emptied of meaning, because the symbol transcends consciousness. It is like a spring in the woods that continues to pour water. Jung says that a rational understanding of mythology is always connected with loss of meaning. The mythological symbol relies on intuition and is rooted in the very depths of the soul. It points ahead to something which transcends consciousness. Although the metaphorical meaning of dreams could, in theory, be 100% understood, the mythological meaning cannot. A powerful dream can remain a source of meaning throughout a person's life, whereas the majority of dreams lose their significance, because the dreamer has passed through the phase that the dreams refer to.

You say that the Jungian theory of dreams is what underlies your discourse, and that this theoretical tool is wholly sufficient. But it isn't much, really. After all, you don't make much use of the archetypes. What remains is the notion of compensation; the neutral libido concept, and the notion of the unconscious complex, which must be integrated with consciousness.

Bjerre has many more concepts beside compensation. An important example is 'objectification', which is negation. It means the rejection of something which consciousness already knows is negative. This is from my article 'Critique of Individuation':

"Dreams on the theme of negation are difficult to understand from the Jungian perspective of compensation. "What does this dream compensate?" Thus, it is taken for granted that there's something wrong with the conscious standpoint, but it isn't necessarily so. In fact, the unconscious often strives to overcome a wholeness that is become complacent and stagnated. The only thing that counts is that life is flowing. People who are overly fond of alcohol and merry festivity tend to dream that they meet an alcoholic bum on the street. Understood in terms of compensation, i.e., as a way of contrasting consciousness, it would mean that the person's qualms about his alcohol consumption is exaggerated, as there are people worse off. Or if it's understood in archetypal terms as the shadow, then it would signify his innate nature, which he cannot get rid of, but only keep in dire straits.

In terms of Bjerre, such dreams are really 'objectifications', which serve to put the alcoholic and festive aspect of personality on the outside, as non-ego. It is not 'me' but another person. It has an immediate benevolent effect, because the dreamer begins to loosen his attachment to this particular aspect of his life. Should he dream that the alcoholic bum goes to Japan, then it's termed 'distancing'. Should he die, then it's negation proper, i.e. like losing a tooth.

The fact that therapists have to struggle with the notion of compensation as only tool is unsatisfactory. The Jungian theory of dream interpretation is rather primitive. What's worse, the therapist might apply the method of 'amplification' and associate the drunken bum with mythological themes, such as Bacchus the vine god, or whatever. It leads away from the concrete dream material in the same manner as Freudian free associations. The method is worthwhile provided that the archetypal theme can be connected to personal material. Yet, dreams seldom focus on the archetypal aspect. They generally refer to personal life and not to the life of our species." (here)

Bjerre asserts that dreams are generally synthetic and not generally compensative. In fact, dreams often serve to strengthen the conscious standpoint:

"It gives the lie to the notion of compensation as the master key of dreams. It has to do with the fact that consciousness is conflicted. Although the ego has already made up its mind in a sense, for various reasons it remains stuck. For instance, it could be due to insecurity or inertia. It could be the question of a bad personal relation that needs to be terminated. In such cases dreams can tell the person what he or she already knows, in the so called outline dreams ('gestaltning'). The way in which the unconscious outlines the situation and certifies that the conscious view is right, is a valuable function. It makes the ego strengthen its resolve, enabling it to see things more clearly. Consciousness is often only 'almost' certain, but the fog will soon be lifting as rational understanding is supported by feeling. Personality is freed of the remaining illusions.
      The ego needs support from the unconscious, and not only opposition and correction in the form of compensations. Often the unconscious supports the wholeness achieved by an endowment of feeling, perhaps with a religious overtone. The conclusion is that the dream function is generally synthetic and not generally compensative, since it strives to alleviate the conflicts of the ego and to enliven consciousness. When lust for life peters out, and one's present situation can no longer be supported by the unconscious, it will attempt to break up the stagnant wholeness in order to invoke a new development, which has long been in the making as a parallel building project [...]
      The theory around individuation and the dream function is complicated and the Jungian theoretical blueprint is insufficient. The self isn't working one-sidedly towards wholeness. It will destroy wholeness, too, if it is become a stagnant oxygen-depleted pool. If the ego lives in a beautiful castle yet with boredom approaching, then it's time to leave the castle for a life among the wild animals, in a hut in the wood, if this is what it takes to keep libido flowing. This, of course, is the story of Prince Siddhartha Gautama and many other an ego-transcending spiritual sage." (here)

Mats Winther

Critique of Individuation
      Individuation as the process of maturation is related to the spiritual way. The ego abandonment of mystic tradition must be taken seriously.
    • Hi Jerry - I like your language and explanations and I too, of average IQ, with lots of phenomenal experience agree with your thoughts about "dreams...developed intuitive sense...not hearing of Jung till later in life...part of a prescribed set of governing principles within the psyche...tap into...must be vast number of others who can also...

So well said, thank you.  Peace + Love Linda

This reply was deleted.