Hi everyone,

How would you all like to proceed for the Panel Disussion/Webinar this Saturday, June 20?

In light of lots of conversations that have been taking place both during the Admin Board Call and also the Discovering DP as a Vocation group, I thought--and it has been suggested by others—that we move toward a discussion around some of the following topics. These are just ideas--please add yours below, or say if you think we should NOT use any of these.

We also need a plan for how to manage the live chat on the site and the 6 video positions that are open at any given time. Please reply and state if you plan to be on chat only, audio only or video and we'll start working out a system.

If you have ideas on how to structure the event, add them as well. Last time I asked the 6 of you who were on the call (5 on video, one on the phone) to say something about how you discovered depth psychology and then we kind of randomly answered questions. It worked, but we may have a bigger group this time, and should we go linearly in the beginning or can we rely on you all to just speak up when a topic or question appeals? 

POTENTIAL TOPICS

Is there a need to re-vision depth psychology and is that even possible?

How has the history of DP led us to where we are? Who are the pioneers that are pushing the boundaries and how are they doing it?

What might depth psychology as a movement look like and what would be the benefit?

How might Depth Alliance be more of an activist community that can take depth psychology "to the streets"?

What does taking DP to the streets even mean, and what might it look like?

What does it mean to follow depth psychology as a vocation?

What can DP do to meet the deepest soul stirrings of the individual who is called to individuation?

How can we collaborate more in the community and share more opportunities to live our individual and collective passions?

As a reminder, the event is posted under "Events" here in the Alliance, or the public page is at http://www.depthinsights.com/events/panel-what-is-depth-psychology-series-depth-psychology-alliance-june2015.html

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• BTW--Would anyone like to moderate or co-moderate the panel instead of me?!

Also, I'll be on 30 minutes early to make sure the technology is working and get everyone on. Please feel free to join early as well.

• And, I can be on any. Preference is to be on chat. If I need to be on both video and chat I can. Goddess willing and the crick don't rise!

• Bonnie,

You are always so great in putting together a series of questions that get to the inner heart. With this series of questions, I believe, that if we focus on "How might Depth Alliance be more of an activist community that can take depth psychology "to the streets"?" Then we naturally have to answer "What does taking DP to the streets even mean, and what might it look like?" In taking depth to the streets then these questions will come into play as the work is engaged "What can DP do to meet the deepest soul stirrings of the individual who is called to individuation?"; and "How can we collaborate more in the community and share more opportunities to live our individual and collective passions?" And by engaging in the work in the streets we will find and be doing as we go "to re-vision depth psychology," and "depth psychology as a movement and what [I would ask 'who, specifically, would it benefit] would be the benefit?" And by engaging the work, in the streets, in community, we then must engage "How has the history of DP led us to where we are? Who are the pioneers that are pushing the boundaries and how are they doing it?" And I would add to this, who are the people taking depth into the streets now, how are they doing it, what does it look like, what pitfalls have they discovered, what has been the pushback from the establishment, and etc.? There are people taking depth to the streets and there is much we can learn from them and it will be a natural fertilizer for growth.

I think what Brent suggested could be a natural way to focus our entry into the streets as we cannot be all things to all people.

• Jesse – One Jungian who I think has been a pioneer in taking DP to the streets is Robert Moore. Back in the late 80s he was more or less drafted by Robert Bly to speak to people at Bly’s men’s gatherings about masculinity. That eventually led to Moore putting his other research on hold and working with in the trenches with men for about a decade. He was often highly criticized by theoretically oriented Jungians for doing this, but he has provided a lot of tools and direction for men and his work is still highly relevant.

• It is interesting what you say about Moore. I told one of my esteemed Pacifica professors I was looking deeply into Moore's work and I was told to stay away from him or I would never be taken seriously. I think as we work toward being in the streets, we may face similar criticisms. I am fine with that, myself. I feel if one only ever receives praise then the work is not being done. 

• Thanks, Jesse, and to your credit, many of these questions came from things you personally said on the vocation call Tuesday, so I deeply appreciate your insights and contributions. 

• Me: audio, video, and chat.

I like this list.

• My vote is for depth psychology "on the streets" or in action...presently and moving into the future. 

Also, I have an ongoing curiosity -- somewhat related -- on what it'd look like if Jungian psychology itself moved into the second half of life rather than staying where most of it is that is, repeating the first half over and over again.

• Brent - That second point might actually help us to reframe our project as Depth Psychology: mid-life crisis!

• Love that "second half of life" idea, Brent!

This reply was deleted.