Organization

Week 2 Reading Reflections

The myth or stories that we tell ourselves regarding our past and present shape our future.
It seems our culture have lost the tradition of telling sacred stories. Instead our culture is shaped by our mainstream media, the vampires (rich and famous) versus zombies (idol worshippers / spectators). As Guy Louis Debord explains in his book "The Society of the Spectacle". 

Carl Jung describes 12 primary types of archetypes, namely for the Ego, Soul and Self.
There are several archetypes at play in peoples personality type. One archetype tends to dominate the personality in general. It's most useful to know which archetypes are at play in oneself and others, especially to gain personal insight into behaviors and motivations. I do think the majority of society has gone collectively insane due to lack of myth and sacred stories regarding connecting to nature and True Self, instead we are driven by the egoic self and mammon worship.

Reading the article "A Brief Mythology of Petroleum" in the begin everything was driven by cheap oil and greed, now we have reached peak oil the western lifesyle is unsustainable. Experts have mentioned other energy renewal sources such as wind and solar will not replace petroleum. The only alternative is for people to reduce their energy use. In the future it is predicted there will be energy, food and water shortages. The big agriculture businesses require vast amounts of water and energy to produce food. The good news is a small percentage of people have seen through the petrolum myth and are forming sustainable communities using living design systems such as permaculture to get ready for the future chaos.

ego-eco-348353-475-274.jpg

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Vanita, I couldn't agree with you more! Every day that passes convinces me that there is an ever increasing  collective insanity being displayed in the behavior of the populous.  I make it a point in discussions with friends and others to ask the question, What is your story of living life? or What story (or myth) do live by? What has meaning in your life? The answers are very revealing  as to the lack or abundance of the person's connection to their True Self, the world of nature, or a personal myth.  I feel at this critical time in the history of humanity, individuals with the mythological insight  have a golden opportunity to speak up, educate, participate  and create the new emerging  myths that communities of the future (and now) will need! 

This reply was deleted.