Jung Platform™, Depth Psychology Alliance™, and Shrink Rap Radio™ have joined forces to bring new educational content in the fields of Jungian and depth psychology. The online book club is a collaborative project that allows interested individuals to connect directly with authors, engage with their work, and to interact on a one-on-one basis.

Join us for free access to an interview with the author, weekly teleseminars (dates and times to come), a written discussion forum here in the Book Club, and more. Plus--supplement this material with an audio presentation by David Schoen from Jung Platform

The January 2013 selection is The War of the Gods in Addiction, based on the correspondence between Bill W., one of the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous and C.G. Jung, proposes an original, groundbreaking, psychodynamic view of addiction which explains both the creation and successful treatment of alcoholism and other addictions.

Using insights from Jungian psychology, it demonstrates why the 12 steps of AA really work. It emphasizes the crucial process of neutralizing the Archetypal Shadow / Archetypal Evil, an aspect of all true addictions, and explores this concept extensively through theoretical and clinical material, modern and ancient myths, and fairy tales.

The significance of using dreams for diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment of addiction is also explained. This book bridges the longstanding gap between the mental health community and 12-step recovering communities and translates concepts necessary to understanding the addictive process in ways that encourage mutual understanding and benefit.

Click here for more details and commentary on the book, plus a look at the Table of Contents for The War of the Gods in Addiction

Click here for full info on the January 2013 Book Club

ORDER the Book

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who participated in the January 2013 Book Club--both here in the written forum as well as on the four weekly teleconference/Q&A sessions with David. For your convenience, here are links to download/listent to the four archived sessions:

Session 1: January 9

Session 2: January 16

Session 3: January 23

Session 4: January 30

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Replies

• David. Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I have not been thru the AA 12 step program, however I have been through Reborn Christian conversion and consequently, i fully understand the power available to deflate the ego and realign with the Self. I will continue to integrate your response with the remainder of the book. Thank you again, Tom
  • Hi everyone, and welcome to the official start of the January Book Club with "War of the Gods in Addiction." David Schoen has graciously agreed to offer the teleseminars and to monitor this online written forum even though he self-admittedly is quite challenged with online operations.

Given that, I will do my best to aid the process by making his posts--though he'll be reading, reviewing, and responding to all your questions and comments both here and especially in the 4-week teleseminar series which starts Jan. 9. It would be really helpful if the discussion here takes on an interactive tone early on where you (we) all respond to each others comments and posts and not rely on him in between, so please take the plunge! Meanwhile, here is David's introductory post:

9142795685?profile=originalHi. My name is David Schoen. I am a clinical social worker, have an extensive background in chemical dependency, addictions issues, and I’m also a Jungian analyst. I received my Jungian training through the interregional society of Jungian analysts. So that’s my background. I also have family members who are recovering alcoholics through AA and the 12 steps which saved their lives which is tremendously personally significant to me.

In writing the book I drew from the Carl Jung / Bill W correspondence of 1961, which basically is the template for my book in terms of the psychodynamics of addiction. This week and leading up to our first teleseminar on January 9 (5pm PT/8pm ET), I would like you to read the first section on the Carl Jung / Bill W. letters which is up to page 19 and we could discuss that. I would be very interested in your thoughts, comments, and questions.

I would also mention that the title of the Book, as you know, is “The War of the Gods in Addiction” and a live discussion of this is available through the teleseminar I’m hosting each Wednesday in January on Depth Psychology Alliance. I hope you’ll post comments, questions, and discussion amongst yourselves here as well. I look forward to engaging with you. Thank you. ~David Schoen

• Hi, more to come. Looking forward to sharing with you in the next few weeks.  David Schoen

• Hi David. Welcome! So glad to have you with us for the month of January to kick off the new year.

Everyone: While David's learning the ropes here and getting ready to post his introduction, we are excited to invite to you live weekly teleseminars with David throughout the month.

The first one will take place next Wednesday, January 9 at 5pm PT/8pm ET so mark your calendars and I'll post the registration/dial-in info here shortly. There will be three more following that one each Wednesday at the same time through January 30. We're looking forward to having the teleseminar discussions supported by online discussion.

If you haven't bought the book, do it now so you'll be ready. You can get it here, among other places.

http://www.springjournalandbooks.com/cgi-bin/ecommerce/ac/agora.cgi?cart_id=8911766.10566%2A1Z22H0&…
This reply was deleted.