Replies

• Did you see this morning that Kerry is calling US' measures "counterterrorism operations" rather than "war" for just that reason??  So that ISIS does not feel like they are getting the satisfaction of saying they are at war with America?   

• Thanks for the good suggestion.

• I'm not quite sure what the answer is ... but I was reading this morning and came across this paragraph about patriarchy and balancing of the masculine/feminine.  It reminded me of the discussion in the lecture last week about finding alternative expressions of the same archetype, i. e. the warrior motif manifesting not only as vicious fighting and war, but also alternatively as the peaceful hero, advocate, or protector ...

"It seems to me that some desperate compensatory mechanism has been triggered in the Western psyche, and that there is an element of real urgency about the return of the feminine. The progressive spirit in society is pushing us toward an "androgynous" psychological condition, undoubtedly because the unchecked masculine has ruled for so long, and its excesses and desecrations are now painfully apparent to any alert person. We best advance the spirit of the time by admitting the feminine into our lives and hearts, into our social structures and political institutions. But patriarchy is notoriously resistant to change, and in Greek mythology it is well represented by the figure of Chronos-Saturn, the recalcitrant and static ogre who devours his own offspring lest they pose a threat to his hegemonic rule. Direct combat may not be the answer; instead we must, like Zeus acting on Rhea's plan, outwit the tyrant and trick him into releasing all the diverse and plural life-forms -- the lost femininities and "alternative" masculinities -- that he has systematically devoured. Chronos-Saturn will go on its consuming course, swallowing the feminine and converting all masculinities into a likeness of itself, unless we break the cycle of power, conquest, and domination."

from Remaking Men by David Tacey: http://www.australianhumanitiesreview.org/archive/Issue-Dec-1996/ta...

• Thank you for this paragraph, Anna!

It brings to mind Riane Eisler's work. There could be a potent intersection of her work with that of mythology. 

• Oh, and maybe "the strengths of the feminine," as you describe, Jane, that Isis embodies, is in fact playing out here with ISIS. From the little I know of mythology, perhaps ISIS's show of force is feminine strength coming through. Like in the Inanna story, when she goes to the underworld she comes face-to-face with Ereshkigal, the goddess of the underworld, and is stared at her with eyes of death, i.e., Inanna cannot hide from the truth (and by becoming revealed to herself, she is ultimately freed). There is force for the sake of brute oppression and there is force for the sake of expression and validation. I do not know where ISIS is fundamentally coming from. 

• I found this a fascinating insight. Thank you.

• This was a fascinating question to me, Craig.  I looked up Isis and was surprised that she is closely correlated with our Mary figure. The website link discusses her myth more in detail, but says that in general "each version [of her story] speaks of the power over life and death that the goddess Isis symbolizes. . . the deep mysteries of the feminine ability to create and to bring life from that which is lifeless."

"Isis embodies the strengths of the feminine, the capacity to feel deeply about relationships, the act of creation, and the source of sustenance and protection.  At times Isis could be a clever trickster empowered by her feminine wiles rather than her logic or brute strength, but it is also the goddess Isis who shows us how we can use our personal gifts to create the life we desire rather than simply opposing that which we do not like. The myths of Isis and Osiris caution us about the need for occasional renewal and reconnection in our relationships. Isis also reminds us to acknowledge and accept the depths of our emotions."

It strikes me in stark contrast to the flagrant abuse of power and masculine domination shown in today's Isis group.  In the myth, Isis tricks the Sun God Ra and poisons him, thereafter stealing his power.  But she did this because of the way he was ruling the people and because of their suffering, thereby balancing the power, or the masculine/feminine.  

Such an interesting perspective ... wow :)

http://www.goddessgift.com/goddess-myths/egyptian_goddess_isis.htm

• Thank you for this great post. It seems that ISIS is the antithesis of Isis. I think they represent the eradigm of the heavenly kingdom. It seems that Craig at one time said that when a group is so rigid and embedded in unyielding belief systems, that it is best to ignore/go around them. This is not possible with ISIS. Perhaps the clue is that Isis tricked the sun. How could ISIS be tricked?

• Which is interesting in that asking this question feels to me as if the burden is lifted from any one person, group, country, and becomes mutually shared. This could result in a certain attention to the causes of a conflict, an impetus for resolution instead of blame and revenge. 

• I do find ISIS very scary. It seems like Craig was talking about the Egyptian goddess Isis and maybe there is a clue there. Thank you for responding, Claire.

This reply was deleted.