of the object ; it is passive when the subject is unable to
restore again to the object the libido which is streaming
back from it. When introversion is habitual, one speaks
of an introverted type (v. Type).

19. Extraversion

means an outward-turning of the
libido (q.v.). With this concept I denote a manifest
relatedness of subject to object in the sense of a positive
movement of subjective interest towards the object.
Everyone in the state of extraversion thinks, feels, and
acts in relation to the object, and moreover in a direct
and clearly observable fashion, so that no doubt can exist
about his positive dependence upon the object In a
sense, therefore, extraversion is an outgoing transference
of interest from the subject to the object If it is an
intellectual extraversion, the subject thinks himself into
the object ; if a feeling extraversion, then the subject feels
himself into the object The state of extraversion means
a strong, if not exclusive, determination by the object.
One should speak of an active extraversion when deliberately
willed, and of a passive extraversion when the object
compels it, i.e. attracts the interest of the subject of its
own accord, even against the latter's intention. Should
the state of extraversion become habitual, the extroverted
type (v. Type) appears.

Q1-What is meant by the active and passive in relation to the Whole Type?

The Active seems to me to relate to the Ego/Syntonic and Will (Dominant Attitude) and the Passive perhaps the less developed functions and attitudes with those functions?

Q2-Furthermore. What is meant by a "Willful Seclusion" of the Introvert/Introversion?

Can we say that is a "Get away from me!" type of response?

Q3-Also the notion of passive introversion unable to restore the libido to the object?

For instance, not being able to meet the appropriate reaction to a person or an event?

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Chris:

Jung's writing is pretty dense. I've added some of my words around subject and object, active and passive, hoping it makes the passages a little easier to understand:

34. Introversion

means a turning inwards of the [life force / attention / orientation], rather than relating to the object [the outer environment or other person]. The subject [i.e., me, or my inner experience] is the chief factor of motivation while the object [outer experience or person] receives only a secondary value. Introversion may possess either a more intellectual [thinking] or more emotional [feeling] character, just as it can be characterized by either intuition or sensation. Introversion is active, when the subject wills a certain seclusion [that is, turns inward because of intention]. it is passive when the subject is unable to restore again to the object the libido which is streaming back from it [that is, to muster the desire/energy to engage with the outer world].

19. Extraversion

means an outward-turning of the libido (q.v.). [life force / attention / orientation]. With this concept I denote a manifest relatedness of subject [me] to object [you; the outside world] in the sense of a positive movement of subjective interest towards the object. [Etc.]

Q1-What is meant by the active and passive in relation to the Whole Type?

The Active seems to me to relate to the Ego/Syntonic and Will (Dominant Attitude) and the Passive perhaps the less developed functions and attitudes with those functions?--I think you're equating ego syntonic with consciousness, which is not exactly right. It is true that the first 4 FAs are coherent with the ego and carry the possibility of becoming conscious (even the inferior). FAs 5-8 are the shadow that emerges from engaging the first 4. Yes, they are unconscious, but more than that they exist in a realm that is in no way coherent with the ego. Also, active and passive are in a different schema than what you're suggesting.

Q2-Furthermore. What is meant by a "Willful Seclusion" of the Introvert/Introversion? Again, I think this is intentional, as a matter of choice (versus unconscious, habitual, automatic). Introverts tend to prefer their own company over the company of others, and they tend to be energized by quiet reflection. However, they can also actively choose, or they can fall into it without thinking. Ideally, the individuated individual intentionally draws on all functions and attitudes as they are needed (like tools) for a particular situation, without being defined or driven by any one.

Can we say that is a "Get away from me!" type of response?--Going back to the beginning of Q2, my answer is maybe!

Q3-Also the notion of passive introversion unable to restore the libido to the object?--maybe!--see my interpretation of active and passive, above.

For instance, not being able to meet the appropriate reaction to a person or an event?--maybe!

This reply was deleted.