Howdy

Hello yea invisible people.  I just showed up at the dance with that shy sense that I don't know anyone in the room.  Alas, I showed up.  I am a hodgepodge of activity - writing a book that's a mytho-trickster adventure 3/4s complete (the first chapter is published in the current issue of Mythopoetry Scholar), a CMT, working with body and World Body, a driftwood artist, not too savvy on the computer but working on it, PhD in Psych, presently certifying as a doula, about to start certification in water therapy (either aquatic integration or watsu), considering licensing as an MFT as San Luis Obispo County where I live may be too difficult for Psych Lic that would align with my interest in soul.  Anyone knowing otherwise I invite to give me head's up.  Also a beach girl, ocean junky, boogey-boarder and kayaker.  Because I'm not computer savvy, please realize that if you don't receive a response it would most likely be because it didn't come to my "in" box on my computer reminding me to check in with the site.  One step at a time - for now, the shy one who just entered the dance in that High School Gym like cyber space.  Carry on!  Mary

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is how bad I am with social networking - I couldn't figure out how to post a new question on the site - oye!  Do tell anyone who sees this as for all I know it will fall into the old convo.  Sorry about that.

Okay - question - what I am mulling over is Attachment Disorder and non-attachment per Buddhism.  How do they interplay?  I know little about Buddhism - any books in particular that discuss non-attachment?  I am wondering if one first needs to find-feel-experience attachment-bonding deep within heart and bones before non-attachment comes into play.  I understand being unattached to outcomes, scenarios, etc...  but find attachment essential to the care of our earth, friends, family, all beings, etc...  are these two concepts at odds with one another.  Would love input.  Thanks, Mary

• My way of understanding this is through the lens of developmental psychology. We are each born with an innate need for attachment (Winnicott, Maslow, Erikson, etc.) Buddhist baby or not. After the initial attachment has been established, the ability to reach a place on non-attachment - as a Buddhist goal - can be attained. Paradoxically the Buddhist detachment is actually also a much deeper union. There is a parallel with alchemical stages as a representative of individuation.

;)

• when you have a chance to say more Ed, I'd love to hear it per the paradox and deeper union, and parallel with alchemical stages.  Very nice.  Thanks for the insights!  Mary
        • Here is the quote I liked for its summary quality:

"...samadhi (one-pointedness, unification) may lead to sunyata (transparency, void) which can open out in a sudden satori (glimpse) which may evolve into the prajna (transcendant wisdom) of nirvana (beyond delusion, beyond all nature, life, and death, beyond becoming) which might be see as eternal samadhi. Thus the circle is complete." from The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen (great book, by the way).

The initial samadhi is like the undifferentiated, unconscious first material which, after several transmutations, becomes the eternal samadhi, conscious awareness of one-pointedness, unification. Of course, for the Hindus and Buddhists, this cycle may take eons due to continuing reincarnations. People of the Book (Jews, Christians, Muslims) only get one shot at it.)

I'll ad the alchemical details after I get back to my underground alchemical lab. :)

• 9142893074?profile=original
  • hello! I am also an ocean junkie, but I look out on the Atlantic, which right now is pretty cold. Here on the coast of Maine we still have lots of snow and not much beach, even in summer. But the water beckons always and oh, the smell is heavenly!
    • Your rugged and wild coast is one I've always wanted to encounter!  Maybe that will happen one day!  Thanks for being in my posse!  Mary
      • I have lived in many places in my life, having grown up as an Army brat, but Maine became my heart home as soon as I arrived here in 1972.

Thanks for the welcome!
    • Welcome to the water dance Cheryl,

I've looked at several of the sailing adventures that sail out of Maine. Have you been on one of them? I fear my view of a Maine coastline is too overshadowed by pictures of coastlines from your southern neighbors, such as Massachusetts and their Windjammer cruises. There are now at least three folks in the Alliance from Maine.

One theory is that we are all looking for the numinous in whatever "junkie" with which we get involved.

I choose the sea.

Ed

• I haven't been on one but I live on Penobscot Bay. There are a number of windjammers that sail out of Camden, whichbisnjust south of us and they sail in and around Penobscot Bay. the scenery is exquisite and the sailing is supposed to be up there with the best in the world. If you go to my blog, jung-at-heart.com and look under the knitting section, I have lots of photos ofnwhere I live. Our coast is rocky and we have trees right down to the water and many islands.
This reply was deleted.