Jung said "The right way to wholeness is made up of fateful detours and wrong turnings." 

This year, I wonder if I can be a little easier on myself and surrender to the process more in spite of my "targets" and "goals".

What do you think of making and keeping New Year's resolutions? Is it an activity that is aligned with surrendering to the Self and the process that is meant to unfold for each of us?

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would be honored. Is there a rating system like only PG dreams, etc?  :) I'm at school right now but will get back to you soon. Interesting site, I'll be interested in your interpretation.

Ed

• There isn't a rating system per se, but I do try to make the site something that won't offend sensitive parents (or readers). If it's okay with you I'll use the dream you posted here, and I'll do an image to go with it. You are welcome to offer your interpretation, but if you would just as soon have me write the interpretation section I'll be glad to. Let me know if you want to use a pseudonym.

• Yes--agree with you all. So is the fact that I still haven't completed my resolution to make resolutions a sign that my psyche has something else in store? Is my self not aligned with my Self? Actually, I am trying to be more mindful about each day, so perhaps this is my work for the new year--rather than making far-fetched goals that already seem constantly just out of reach.

Also wonder how much of my own expectations (for myself, about setting and achieving goals) are shaped by the culture which many of us then unconsciously try to adhere to. Do other cultures set New Year's resolutions beyond our contemporary/western ones? Are we setting ourselves up for failure by buying into a social milieu that tends toward an "empty self" that needs to be filled up somehow?--by achieving, through consumerism, distraction, addiction, etc?

• Carla,
    So true. Conscious surrender shows a greater sense of "faith" in my thinking. Finding out what is "under" the inability to surrender is also informative for me when surrender is the LAST thing I want to do.
  • The most helpful thing about a resolution, new year's or otherwise, is its ability to help us focus on what we think is important. If we find that despite our intention (resolution) we aren't doing the thing, then we have to ask why. Once we've discovered what's behind the resistance we might indeed learn that surrender is the wiser course.

• I don't make New Year's resolutions.  This isn't because of some deeply held conviction, but more about laziness and a lack of focus needed to keep resolutions to the forefront of my awareness.  I wonder if resolutions are about surrendering or if they are a front-line activity resisting the process of individuation.  I don't have any answers, but I do enjoy wondering and wandering.

• When I have made specific, behavioral New Year's goals, I am always finding rationalizations around them. I would have to agree that dedicating more time to the process of life rather than the content of life might be more enriching and “successful.” However, just for the sake of argument, making specific goals with the knowledge that "fateful detours" and "wrong turnings" will be made and can be informative on our way toward individualization tempts Psyche to act in ways that I cannot control. I remember the quotes, "Thou shalt not put your God to the test." and "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it."  After all that rambling, I'm sticking with being more consciously aware of the process and leaving content-based resolutions to others.

This reply was deleted.