Replies

• I thoroughly agree with this, very wise. It is easy to forget to play, but when the necessity for play and to change arrive - look out!

• I'm writing my dissertation on dreams. The literature review has put me in touch with how little I care about books, research articles and more thinking ( admittedly an inferior function). But has put me in touch with where my dream work originally lead me. Over time I began taking different dreams ( perhaps a mood it left me with or a particular character or whatever) and sit down  and began writing some verse ( poetry) around that or anything else. Not surprisingly I was often lead elsewhere. I can't say I learned I thing. But by god I had and have a hell of alot of fun. Tears, laughter, mystery. My 23 yr old daughter ( a very fine painter) and I were lamenting about that today.  Who can say.

cleardot.gif
      cleardot.gif
  • Their yoga mat/meditation room.

• I like the approach described by Judith Harte, who writes, “When Eros is liberated and demonstrated within the therapeutic relationship permission is given to spread that good infection.” The consulting room is a place to learn new ways of relating that can be lived elsewhere. But Eros also includes dark Eros (I love Thomas Moore's treatment of it in his book of that name), which, if neglected, emerges in us in controlling and sadistic ways of relating to self and others and the world. Such ways of relating are just as much a problem outside the consulting room as inside. So the demonstration of Eros needs to be in touch with the dark side of helping and relating.

• Yes, Ian there needs to be a place for and ownership of the dark face of Eros.  In the horoscope there is a point of Eros and also Hades/pluto. Both of these points have a dark face that when fully confronted and integrated participate in the process of psychoastrological transformation. This can  also happen in the consulting room of a psychotherapist,  when and if a patient commits to a process in which his/her darker side is owned and ultimately integrated within a process of psychotherapy.  Yes, I love Moore's book on the subject as well.

• Fascinating....I'm curious Judith, where in the horoscope is the point of Eros and Hades/Pluto?

• How can we fit this owning of the dark face of Eros with the union between Psyche and Eros? Our destructive urges seem to work against relating; I don't think Moore believes we should hope to overcome such urges - instead, we need to live the necessary aggression and violence of e.g. education or therapy less literally. On the other hand, perhaps no relating is possible without dark Eros - there must be separation if there is to be connection, and we can't have a union of Psyche and Eros if they don't at times have independent modes that work against each other.

• Because my standard go to is nature I'll offer another venue that works well for me for tapping into the energy flow between Psyche and Eros. It's Improv, which as I've encountered it seems to lubricate the gears of active imagination. 

Apprenticed for a bit with a longstanding improvisational actress type who opened an "Improv Sanga" in my neighborhood and offered both workshops and drop-in times. Her language and mine at the time, wasn't about psyche, but in retrospect great flow of somatic energy, psyche and eros.

Also, I can recommend an old friend's book, "Improv Wisdom: Don't Prepare, Just Show Up," by Patricia Madsen. She taught at Stanford and elsewhere for many years and this is a collection of her cumulative insights, reflections, and yes wisdom, concerning living life, improvisationally. 

Interesting to reflect on how the psychopathologies and complexes are allowed free entry into the improv space and are usually the greatest sources of authentic and engaged performance--that's usually where the juice is.

• Perhaps this is too simplistic, but I find the most deep connections to be made in Na-church. The combination of Nature and the place where one connects with their own Spirituality - church.

• I  couldn't agree more.  Nature contains all and has everything in its origins,, atmosphere, and reproductive cycles. Eros is everywhere there in all  of its myriad forms.

This reply was deleted.