So John , you're a jackass are 'ya!Well perhaps, but it's safe to say that we're all a little jackass now and then I suppose. You've put me to the test with that question in the same way I feel tested when facing a dream, in those first moments of confrontation. So let me say, to begin with, that I don't know exactly what he means to me.  His sense of humor spoke to me in the most brilliant and particular way. His way of activating my courage to trust the image even when faced with hopelessness and despair was exceptional.  He could turn a phrase like no one else.  I loved his irritability.  It always seemed to land and be expressed in just the right places. I loved the way in which he loved and elevated art and its value in seeing and knowing soul.  He was all of those things which are described in the invitation to his memorial in NY in May. I found ways in which I could enter into an image just by trusting it. Doing this without fail, always took me straight to a truth. Not THE truth but a truth.   His thinking about the world soul, his love and view of animals, his big view of life, his writing, his ability to express annoyances ,

his love of depth and soul, and because I'm an archetypal astrologer as well as a psychotherapist, his unique view of the meaning of the gods in the horoscope moved me.  So if I could sum up in one phrase, one sentence, I'd say I loved his beautifully brave, reliably irritable, caring yet contrary, brilliantly, humorous soul. 

How's that for openers?

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hehe! I like your dualistic impression of him - seems ripe ground for an archetypal dream figure. I found your description of his writing/drawing in the unintelligible script very powerful and intriguing. Perhaps something akin to Jung's calligraphy with the Red Book (although that's a rather obvious comparison), and given you're into a system of symbols with something like astrology, the careful spacing and positioning of his characters would probably be quite personally significant in some way, yeah?

• Yes, well you've inadvertently urged me to have a look at that dream again.....!

This reply was deleted.