Fire

I've been thinking about different types of fire with which I have direct experience. In our modern world, we have little opportunity for direct experience with open flame fires. We have forced air heating in our houses and offices: drying, dessicating, windy heat, vata fire. We have radient heat from the summer sun beating in the windows, radiant heat from hot car engines, radiant heat from electric stoves, and radiant heat from food-like substances warmed in microwaves. Also, there's the tame and well-behaved flame of a gas range or backyard grill. Cooking with gas is more sensual than cooking on an electric range, but it's still not the same as an open flame.

Open flame fire in an outdoor pit is sensual, primal, and mesmorizing. Flames lap the air. Cinders pop. Shifting winds blow smoke always in your direction. This is the fire dance. You continually move, shift position the to get out of the smoke. The fire changes and matures as the evening progresses. At first, the flames leap up, orange, and cool. Watch the fire closely or it might go out! As the evening progresses, the fire needs feeding. Add more wood. Make a wood teepee over the older flames. Old flames ignite the new wood. By the end of the evening, coals are white hot. White hot heat radiates from the pit. It's so hot, the coals look and feel like they would melt metal.

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I need a "like" button for this. Like like like.

You're from Salt Lake? Did you hear about the four alarm fire last Monday that burned down that apartment complex near Trolley Square? I walked past it while it was happening. People were mesmerized. It was both horrible and absolutely awesome. A burning building, blazing out of control, is seductive as Hell. Even yesterday people were staring at the ruins.

But in defense of radiant heat: at night, in your cold bedroom, with snow is falling outside, nothing is more sensual than the cocoon you make with your bed, your favorite pillow, and a down comforter or electric blanket, especially when you know you can sleep in come morning.
    • Yes, I'm from Salt Lake. I live in East Millcreek. From our house, we saw the smoke billowing from the 5th & 5th fire. It must have been a grand fire to watch! Horrible and absolutely awesome. That's a great description. The fire must have been sublime.
This reply was deleted.