Replies

• Hi Shana,

Nice to read your paper.  I'm finally coming up for air from an intense 10 days of work and it's invigorating to contemplate your insights about depression and the related story of psyche (one that I recentley shared with my students and want to look over again after reading your paper.  I love Kalshed too; what a deep person. I'm using both his books to help with my graduate thesis on a mythopoeic perspective of student stories about traumatic loss.

I hope you are getting the help you need for the depression.  I went through three years of Depression on and off. Being in nature and around loved ones was very helpful…the path was pretty windy... It's such a personal exploration of what is right for each one of us. 

• Thanks, Michael.    Did you know Kalsched is going to be doing a daylong on Trauma & the Soul Dec 6 at Mills College?     More info on SF Jung Institute website.    Maybe see you there!

Your thesis sounds really interesting & important.    Are you doing your grad work at Pacifica or somewhere else?  

And thanks for your words on depression.  They touched me deeply. 

Best, 

Shana

Shana 

• To your bibliography I might add "Living in the Borderland" by Jerome Bernstein

Amazon link:  http://www.amazon.com/Living-Borderland-Evolution-Consciousness-Cha...

I don't know whether this helps or not, but psychological types can have some bearing here.  At a basic level, Beebe has told me that feeling types often come to therapy depressed and think they are going crazy.  They feel as though things are terrible, but nobody believes them.  And Beebe says things ARE terrible.  Merely validating the truth that things are terrible (instead of making the patient bad or wrong for talking about how terrible things are) can make a big difference.

I'm just throwing this out there in case it lands.

-Vicky Jo

• Thank you, Vicky Jo - for both suggestions.    I heard Jerome Bernstein at the Phoenix conference, but haven't read the book yet.    

And appreciate what John Beebe said - this resonates as well.  

Best, 

Shana

• Oh, were you in Phoenix too?  ~wave!~  I thought Jerome was absolutely amazing.  Did you present a paper?  My paper was in the last timeslot of the last day, so not very many were left on the island by then.  Still, both Beebe and Bernstein sat in, which was mind-blowing in every way possible.

Warmly,
      -Vicky Jo

• Thanks for sharing your idea and I hope your journey takes you through and out the other side where it feels better. Also, thank you for the bibliography. Very cool.

This reply was deleted.