So I think someone mentioned Illuminati Conspiracy mythology in the last webinar, and Craig mentioned that he didn't really know anything about it, but would like to hear more. Through social networks, I've been connected to people that promote this idea strongly, and I've researched for some time now to better understand it.

Like any mythology, there are several flavors of the Illuminati Conspiracy story. However, this is a core framework to this mythology: there is a cabal of psychopathic rulers intent on global domination, and they rule our governments, social institutions, academia, corporations, and basically all positions of power and influence. A common feature of the different flavors is that their domination is organized and rooted in a magickal influence of some kind (in some variants, extraterrestrial influence). They believe the single All-Seeing-Eye (like the one found on the Dollar Bill) is the primary symbol of the Illuminati, as a symbol for the nearly omnipotent psychical reach and power of the Illuminati. Often, secret societies are implicated in involvement with the Illuminati Conspiracy, such as the Free Masons, Rosicrucians, Skull and Bones club of Yale, the Bohemian Grove (Elite meeting, worshippers of Molloch in Sebastapol, CA), etc.

In some variants, the Illuminati are reptillian aliens, disguised in suits as humans. According to several youtube videos and blogs, occasionally the human suits fail, and the reptillian anatomy emerges, sometimes on live TV or public events. David Eick writes extensively about this idea of Reptillian Aliens, but as far as I know, he never actually says that it's more than a metaphor referring to people consumed by the survival-brain, reptilian consciousness. Other writers, have equated the Reptillian, Alien Illuminati with the Anunnaki of Sumerian mythology (this is a very popular variant).

A major premise of the story is that the Illuminati have constructed a holding pen for all of humanity, a cage that psychically siphons off power from the masses, and keeps the population in check with psychical/energetic attacks against those who disturb the system. It's actually kind of similar to the Matrix, except instead of virtual computer worlds, a virtual psychical world has been imposed upon humanity by the Illuminati overlords. 

Something I have noticed is that people who buy strongly into the Illuminati Conspiracy are very immersed in a paranoid and suspicious state of mind. In my seeking of these people out to understand this mythology, I have found many adherents of the Illuminati Conspiracy are on the edge of consensual reality, sometimes diagnosed as schizophrenic (not to discount schizophrenia as something completely invalid). As such, they report intense dreams in which they are constantly besieged by the psychic attacks of the Illuminati and their minions.

The most intense group I became involved with, through a Facebook group, had many people who claimed to be involved with genetic, medical, and psychic experiments that scarred them for life. The basic narrative was that the Illuminati are cultivating a "crop" of powerful psychic humans that can be programmed to do their bidding. Those who resist or break free invoke the wrath of the Illuminati through psychical harassment and overload, manifested as schizophenic psychosis.

The mythology of the X-Men mutants resonates with many of them. The image of the "Cerebro" mutant-finder-machine that Professor X uses to find new students for his academy of Mutants is purported to be a real device, represented by the Eye at the top of the pyramid, now completely constructed via the NSA's panopticon complex in Utah. Unlike the benevolent intentions Professor X has with Cerebro, this device, or all-seeing psychical eye, searches for these "mutants" so that they can be subjugated and controlled, or destroyed if they resist their influence. 

I'd like to take a moment here to say that I do not necessarily believe everything in the Illuminati Conspiracy is necessarily real, because it's extremely out-there (I have so much fear of being labled Woo-Woo), but I think there are some things that I've found and experienced and heard about that make me believe some parts. I also believe that the mythology itself expresses a lot about our society and the experiences of people on the edges of consensual reality. 

I had a client in my practicum training who will probably be diagnosed as schizophrenic by the time he is out of high school (didn't fit all of the diagnostic criteria at the time), who described a similar mythology, but had no knowledge of the Illuminati Conspiracy ideas. He basically described the "Illuminati" of this mythology in terms of the oppressive and cruel hierarchies of students and teachers at his school. It's lead me to conclude that this mythology is strongly rooted in the experience of latent and diagnosed schizophrenics in our society. The idea of the "mutant" schizophrenic gene, which is passed down family lines, ties in with this mythology in an uncanny way. 

Determining exactly how much of these stories is myth and how much is reality is difficult. I am personally inclined to believe the part of the story that many of the powerful figures in today's society have some kind of strong psychic influence is true. Having become personally involved with occult studies and practical magick, I have seen that there is something real in Tarot, Kaballah, John Dee's vision magick, and other practices which are promoted by at least some of these secret societies mentioned by the Illuminati Conspiracy, such as the Free Masons (I found a book on Free Mason magick a few months back, their teachings aren't that secret if you look for them). The fact that many of the Founding Fathers of the USA and current day movers and shakers of the plutocracy are part of the Free Masons is interesting, to say the least.

Speaking from a standpoint of mythological influence, the most powerful mythological institutions (print, music, movies) are often associated with Illuminati infiltration. The "all seeing eye", or "one eye covered, on eye visible" is a motif that is repeated, often quite obviously, in Hollywood-based media, which dominates the planet's focus and attention. The video for Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" is media-fied ritual, complete with pyramid, eye symbology, domination ideations, AND the lyrics are about delving into Black Magic and dealing with the Karma that it evokes. Watch it to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSOMA3QBU0. Another example of Hollywood involvement in this conspiracy: one of the main concert/events venues in LA is "The Shrine", a center of mythological emanations and media ritual - it's owned by a side branch of the Free Masons, the Shriners. In reference to my previous post about Cthulu at the beginning of the course, H.P. Lovecraft, the author of the popular Cthulu mythos, was descended from a line of Free Masons, but denied being one himself. The "Silver Twilight Lodge" of the mythos is an obvious reference to the "Golden Dawn" and the Free Masons (who meet at a Masonic "lodge")

Occult groups, such as the Golden Dawn (often associated with the Illuminati), openly discuss the power of myth and archetypes, and how to use them. Is it possible that an organization or group of people has consciously realized that they can control society simply by controlling the mythmaking institutions, and has been consciously wielding this power for decades, centuries, millenia? Perhaps we are simply another iteration here in this group, but with more benevolent goals? 

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Woweeeeee....!  This is rich and wonderful.

I'm the one who mentioned the Illuminati... and out of that simple little free-association, look what was generated!

I just skimmed what you wrote at high speed, and must return to digest it more mindfully, but what a terrific contribution.

Thanks so very much!

-Vicky Jo :-)

• If anyone has read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins, he claims to have worked for a global conspiracy of ruling groups that are running capital-government. But no "magic" needed but the manipulation of people's base instincts. My husband recommends The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco for enjoyable fiction that shows how these stories go back to at least the second half of the 19th century when the Illuminati and other conspiracies became very popular. He says the book helps to explain the historical institutional struggles that lay the foundation for the popularization of a world government cabal. As a leftist, my husband believes there are plenty of existing institutions (the Trilateral Commission and Council on Foreign Relations) that foster this collusion without needing the Illuminati and other magical shadow organizations. 

• Was the Illuminati a big part of one of Brown's novels? I can't think of his first name at the moment.

• I enjoyed reading this piece. Thank you.

• Sure is. Hitler demonstrated that. He knew full well he was mixing Theosophy with Norse myth to stimulate the masses. One of the reasons for an education in myth is to sensitize the public about how all this works.

• It appears that myths with their archetypes carry energy and it is easy to be taken over- enchanted by the energy.

• Thank you for posting such a detailed description of this myth ... I thought I'd share with the group my experience with it.

When I was working with teens and substance abuse, I noticed the teenage boys all seemed to know and be interested in the idea of the Free Masons and the Illuminati.  I swear, I think it would come up in group probably every other week.  It seemed like it may be some kind of a theme that they were getting from rap music, but the basic principle that they were echoing was that there is some elite group of people who control the money and the power in the world, and that to become successful, you have to go through them.  There was also mention of having to "sacrifice" in order to achieve fame.  There was mention that Kanye West's mother's death was no accident, but that she was his "sacrifice" to this group in order to become successful.  

From a clinical point of view, I mean, first of all, I thought this was totally weird that they were so interested in it. I took it to demonstrate an external locus of control ... ideas about success, power, and money seeming to be controlled and obtained in a way that seemed outside of their inherent understanding/ability to obtain.  Most of them came from rough neighborhoods and low-class families and so had lives that involved the trauma and difficulty that can come with that kind of lifestyle.  In many ways, from a systems perspective, an external locus of control makes perfect sense and may be somewhat accurate to people in that class ...

I wonder how we could apply mythology to this though ... never thought about it from the perspective of storytelling or greater meaning ...

On a semi-related note, I also loved your connection to the mythology of Schizophrenia ... there's some fascinating stuff out there that I might post on the cultural relativity of the myths that play out in psychosis!!!  As to your discussion about the giant eye, there are many ads for psychiatric drugs with bizarre eyes.  Check this freaky thing out from the 60s:

9142816063?profile=original

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/9142816063?profile=original
    • The new Thorazine: social media.... ; )

• self-prescribed and with half the side effects!

This reply was deleted.