WHAT: Special Study Group: Jung's with Jungian Analyst Robert

WHEN: Starts January 19th: Consists of 20 pre-recorded lectures of 1.5 hours each; an 88-page study guide created by, Robert 's colleague, Jill Fischer; and this written online discussion forum. Runs 40 weeks

WHO: Anyone who is interested in Jung's , Robert . Facilitators: Janet Fortess and Chris Doggett

>>>This Special Study Group starts January 19th, 2013. It is an open written discussion forum based on following the pre-recorded 40-hour audio course* with Robert available from Jung Platform.

This is a central place to which you can come and post questions or comments about the designated module you listened to for the 2-week period and interact with others who are doing the same thing. As such, there is no set "time" it occurs, but rather is ongoing and you can post or respond at your convenience. Janet Fortess and Chris Doggett, students and colleagues of Robert will be providing some structure and be on hand to facilitate the discussion, and Robert himself will also be checking in.

*If you're not following the audio course, you're still welcome to engage here in whatever discussion is emerging--though of course you'll likely get far more out of the process if you are able to listen to the course itself.

THREE WAYS TO PARTICIPATE

1. Listen to an interview with Robert on Shrink Rap Radio with host Dr. David Van Nuys to help you get to know Robert better in preparation for the course.

2. Get your copy of this in- audio course from Jung Platform. The course consists of 20 lectures of approximately 1.5 hours each which occur every two weeks. In each lecture Robert addresses a few pages from the . You can read along in your copy of the .
This course comes with an 88-page study guide designed by Robert 's colleague, Jill Fischer, which contains a synopsis of each lecture. After each session, there are questions to help you test your understanding. After finishing the entire 40-week course and tests, you get a CE certificate and a Certificate of Completion from the Jung Platform University.

(Cost FULL COURSE: Lectures 1 through 20 + 30 CEs + Synopsis / Study Guide - $99). members get additional 25% off using the code" "). The course may also be purchased in two individual parts.

3/ Join the online discussion forum in the Psychology online community (HERE!) starting January 19, 2013, where everyone who follows the audio course from Jung Platform can come together and discuss each particular section. This forum will be facilitated by two professionals, Janet Fortess and Chris Doggett, who have been trained in Embodied Imagination with Robert for three years and Robert will be checking in every two weeks as well. (This forum is open to everyone, regardless of whether you follow the audio course or have the )

ABOUT ROBERT

Robert , PsyA, is a Jungian psychoanalyst who graduated from the C.G. Jung Institute in Zurich in 1977. Since then he was been in private practice in the United States and Australia. Robert founded the Santa Barbara Healing Sanctuary and developed a method of working with dreams called Embodied Imagination. He has also written several s, including the worldwide bestseller ‘A Little Course In Dreams’.

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Replies

• Welcome Red Book Deep Space Travellers,

Janet and Chris here and we will be your moderators on this journey.  The set up is that we will focus on each session for two weeks then move on to the next.  So of course we will begin today with the first session and in two weeks will introduce the second session.  

We would like to invite you to introduce yourselves to this community the way Robbie did in session one by sharing your first encounter with the Red Book. You might write about a striking, exciting, poignant or perhaps even scary moment when you first met The Red Book or decided to do this course: a way you have been moved (in any direction!).

We would like this forum to be a place for your reflections, your revelations and your fears stimulated by the session you listen to in solitude -- brought to community.

How our private journeys in the Spirit of the Depths are perhaps reflected in the Spirit of the (these) Times.

And as Jill Fischer says in the study guide, let's “enter the Red Book as an environment, … “wait”, suspend thoughts and the search for meaning ... and let the images inform us”

How will “listening deeply” and “waiting” arise in you and want to be expressed?  Perhaps share with the community your process.

This forum is wide open! Feel free. Bring your unique voice. Don’t worry about going off on tangents. We will reel you back in to the session at hand if need be.

Let the serious, irreverence begin!

Chris and Janet

• The term Depth psychology we are using in this context was first coined around 1903 by Eugen Bleuler, M.D. Jung’s chief at the Burgholzli mental hospital where he was working. The word Depth has stuck. I think it is a useful term if taken in the sense of Deep Space, not in the sense of verticality and layering. To my mind Startrek is a more useful description of Depth than metaphors of geological layers.

So here we go to the far reaches of the Deep where ‘No man has gone before.’ Not Jung, not I, no man or woman. You are the first to enter the Deep, because your ship differs from anyone else’s, and your Cosmos is particular and idiosyncratic. Jung tells us in the Red Book that we should not follow him. So let’s travel alongside and see what we can uncover in our many Depths. 

This is the story of travel: yours, mine, Jung’s, Frodo’s. We can only enter here with utter irreverence and profound seriousness combined with a healthy sense of the absurd.

Begin by suspending disbelief and accompany us into Divine Madness…

• Since reading Hillman's The Dream and the Underworld, I have been fascinated by the elastic possibilities of the words deep and depth in relation to psychological and spiritual experience.  It appears that the term was originally coined to refer to watery depths--the part we can't see--and was then applied to every area that contains a tantalizing or fearsome invisible.  I find myself using those words almost every time I want to describe the things that matter most to me.  I don't care if they sound cliched.  :)

Some cognitive linguists have argued that most, if not all, of our language is rooted in concrete metaphors, originally describing physical things.  I like that a word derived from our first attempts to describe deep water later got extended to both our inner lives and to outer space.  (Echoes of Campbell!)   As we know, the seafaring metaphor is prominent in Star Trek.  This shows how much our earthly, creaturely, and embodied nature shapes our experiences and our thoughts.  

My investigations into the history of deep and depth led me to this quote from Shakespeare's Henry IV, which I thought people here might enjoy:

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.

Hotspur:  Why so can I, or so can any man;

But will they come when you do call for them?

And speaking of Frodo:  Has anyone else ever been struck by the similarity between Tolkien's own illustrations for The Hobbit and Jung's Red Book paintings?  I suppose that was probably a somewhat common style, but still. ( In case anyone is curious, here is a link to a website where you can see some of Tolkien's art: http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2012/09/20/tolkien-can-draw-... )

Sorry to run on so long!  It's been a long time since I've had a chance to talk to anyone about these sort of things.  :)

-- Michael

• Good morning Robert - from a time travel perspective, I like to know when words were coined and thanks for sharing about depth.  I have this sense of surreal about me as our sojourn begins and I am grateful our founder, Bonnie had this vision.  Regards Linda

This reply was deleted.