“The Coil Pattern and the Global Warming Meme” - Vision by Willi Paul, NewMythologist.com
* * * * * * *
I. Consider Two Definitions:
Global warming refers to an unequivocal and continuing rise in the average temperature of Earth's climate system. Since 1971, 90% of the warming has occurred in the oceans. It is extremely likely (95-100%) that human influence has been the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century.
A meme is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture." A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another. Memes spread through the behavior that they generate in their hosts. Memes that propagate less prolifically may become extinct, while others may survive, spread, and (for better or for worse) mutate.
II. Web of evolution of connected memes resulting in Global Warming Meme:
The Global Warming meme is a Global Meme – made of smaller events, protests and political shenanigans. Chaos in society has increased from 1950 to present as have the number of memes. While some Small Memes are more important than others, all are inter-connected – like the World Wide Web. As the graphic illustrates, memes can be film-based, political-based, government-based, business or grassroots-based memes.
Whether one small meme is more important in the development of the Global Warming Meme is debatable.
Please see the meme map attached (.pdf)
III. The Global Warming Meme Story:
Life Cycle of a Meme:
1. Inception - combination of science, commercial trends and spirit = community alchemy
2. Diffusion - memes are linked to habits and brands and are assimilated by communities
3. Morphing - a sort of social DNA mixing, changes occur and new memes are created from old ones
4. Integration – finally memes get “stuck” and become political cliques, song titles, or names for babies and Start-ups
IV. Discussion and Value of Memes
Memes are “disruptors “or early warnings of chaotic behavior. Of course, memes equally arise out of current chaos (war protests and the PEACE symbol). Memes are Small Data (re: Wilderness Act in 1964) that can combine to form Big Data (Global Warming Meme in 2014 and Peak Oil in 2018).
Memes are about specific events, but also about building overall awareness, challenging and integrating new values into the next Big Meme. Memes are evolutionary agents.
Memes are often the “trend” before the trends arise. Best and strongest memes embedded in cultural dialog. Memes could be experienced as archetypes. It is possible that memes contribute to our dreams and help to predict future memes, movements, more disruption and global chaos.
V. Future Memes:
1. Memes are the building blocks for new stories and myths.
2. The inception and diffusion patterns of memes should support the argument that they are predictors of future behaviors. Thoughts?
3. Are there any new memes “under the Sun?”
4. Will we survive the Chaos Era together?