Jung and Mythology
Learn How C.G. Jung
Revolutionized Our Understanding of Myth.
A nine week college level course!
Led by James Newell, PhD
Includes one free class plus eight full modules with resources and further learning opportunities available through our online learning platform. Successfully complete all of the assignments in the online learning platform and earn a certificate of completion!
Or, attendees may also simply audit the course, without completing assignments for credit.
Learn how C.G. Jung revolutionized our understanding of myth. Jung is one of the most influential figures in 20th century Depth Psychology. Although mainstream academic psychologists and theorists of myth tend to dismiss Jung, they mainly do so because they have misunderstood his underlying theory. Once we have a basic understanding of Jung’s theory we have a key for understanding world mythology and how myth influences both the individual psyche and culture. This nine week course begins with one free introductory class, followed by eight modules that introduce you to the essentials of Jung’s approach to myth. Each weekly meeting will include a presentation and explanation of some aspect of Jung’s understanding of mythology, a discussion and question/answer session, as well as a wealth of resources for further study available through our online learning platform. Those participants who successfully complete the assignments in the online learning platform will receive a certificate of completion which may be used as credit toward a future certification program. Don’t miss this opportunity to get a solid grounding in C.G. Jung’s revolutionary understanding of mythology!
Participants will take part in nine weekly classes
2. Module 1: How mainstream academics understand myth – Saturday, Mar 3
3. Module 2: How Jung understood myth – Saturday, Mar 10
4. Module 3: How Jung used myth – Saturday, Mar 17
5. Module 4: Some important myths – Saturday, Mar 24
6. Module 5: Jungian influenced theorists, Pt. I: Joseph Campbell – Saturday, Mar 31
7. Module 6: Jungian influenced theorists, Pt. II: Mircea Eliade – Saturday, Apr 7
8. Module 7: World religions, myth, and the Axial Age – Saturday, Apr 14
9. Module 8: The loss of myth and what it means for contemporary culture – Saturday, Apr 21
- Learn the basics of the mainstream academic study of myth.
- Learn how C. G. Jung understood myth and how he understood myth to fit into his broader psychological theory.
- Discover a wealth of resources for deepening their understanding of Jungian approaches to mythology.
- Learn how a comprehensive knowledge of world mythology can aid the amplification of dreams, visions, and images arising from the unconscious
- Acquire some basic tools for furthering their own research and deepening their understanding of mythology from a Jungian perspective.
- Have an opportunity to complete online assignments toward earning a certificate of completion (certificate of completion may be used as credit towards future certification in depth psychology through the Depth Psychology Alliance).
Can't attend live? Each class will be recorded and made available for all registrants.
James Newell is an educator, counselor, personal coach, professional musician, and the director of the Depth Psychology Alliance. James earned his master’s degree in Pastoral Counseling and Theology from Vanderbilt University Divinity School, with a focus on Jungian psychology. He earned his doctorate in History of Religions from the Vanderbilt University Graduate School of Religion. James teaches online courses in world religions for Central Michigan University, Excelsior College, Thomas Edison State University, and other schools. For the past two years he has been developing a certification program in depth psychology which has been offered through the Depth Psychology Alliance.
Pricing (early sign-up is by February 27, 2018):
$219.00 early sign-up
$249.00 early sign-up
Click Here to Register for Jung and Mythology, 8-week course, beginning March 3rd!