Jung conducted an exhaustive study of the ancient practice of alchemy and believed alchemists experienced an inner transformation while exploring the mysterious chemical substances that they studied.
Jung’s understanding of the unconscious as expressed through the imagery and texts of the alchemists has far-reaching implications for modern people.
For Jung, ancient alchemical texts provide us with a wealth of symbolic insight into the human mind and human behaviors that continue to be vitally relevant today.
This online course begins with a free 90-min intro class followed by 8 modules to introduce you to the essentials of Jung's understanding of the importance of alchemical symbolism. Each weekly meeting will include a presentation and explanation of some aspect of Jung’s understanding of alchemy, a discussion and Q&A session, as well as a wealth of resources for further study available through our online learning platform.
Don’t miss this opportunity to get a solid understanding of Jung’s work with alchemy, and the importance of alchemical symbolism for modern people!
In this 8 week course, you will:
- Learn the historical context of the practice of alchemy, from ancient Egypt to the Enlightenment era, from the perspective of both the history of science and the history of religions.
- Learn how and why Jung became interested in alchemy, and many of the details of his publications on the subject.
- Learn how to understand and recognize alchemical symbolism in dreams and active imagination work.
- Learn how alchemical symbolism can help us to understand the individuation process in ourselves and others.
- Discover a wealth of resources for deepening their understanding of alchemy from a Jungian perspective.
- Have an opportunity to complete online assignments toward earning a certificate of completion (certificate of completion may be used as credit towards future certification in depth psychology through Depth Psychology Alliance).
James R. Newell, PhD, (Vanderbilt University) is a board member of Depth Psychology Alliance, and an educator, counselor, personal coach, and professional musician. James teaches online courses on world religions for Central Michigan University, Thomas Edison State University, and other schools. James earned his master’s in Pastoral Counseling and Theology from Vanderbilt Divinity School, with a focus on Jungian psychology. He earned his doctorate in History of Religions from Vanderbilt University Graduate School of Religion.
Non Alliance Members:
Can't attend live? Each class will be recorded for all registrants.
GET MORE DETAILS about the course.
ACCESS the REPLAY of the Intro Lecture held 10/14
REGISTER for the 8-week Jung and Alchemy course. Starts Oct. 21