Cutting off the paws of the lion and a dream

Hello Roger, Robbie, Pat et al,

In the 3rd Alchemy class, Robbie and Pat spoke about cutting off the paws of the green lion.

Two days before I worked this dream image with a sister Embodiment Coach (the term for non therapist graduates of Robert Bosnak’s Embodied Imagination training):

In a dark narrow tall kitchen a stainless steel refrigerator opens revealing (between my eye & chest level) on the shelf the carcass of a lion—no mane, tawny somewhat flaccid fur, seen partly head on and partly from an angle (right side).  I see the head and some curve of shoulder (like the bust of the lioness).  I cannot tell how much of the rest of the body I cannot see. I remark in the dreamwork I cannot see its paws.

The embodiment of this image is felt in the throat, face and head of the female lion carcass—feeling honored and preserved.  Feeling how the cold slows down the decay.  Seeing the color of the flesh—under the skin red/brown remaining constant in the cold.  And yet there is some grief (the dreamer in the chair’s?)—lion morgue.

Perhaps this is an alchemist’s laboratory where the lion’s usual solar hotness is chilled—not gruesomely dead, yet not alive.  Its essence is preserved and made available to the work as needed.

The first sentence of Chapter 1,  The Rudiments: “Desire is not enough, in fact, ignorant desire frustrates itself or burns itself away."  Pat and Robbie spoke of confusing the desire with the object of desire (the goal of advertising).  Stay with the desire but cut away the claws of the desire.  Distinguish the desire from the objects of desire.  Desire is its own thing......
It brought tears to my eyes when they spoke the words: cut off the lion's paws.

Desire is a tricky commodity for me. Here’s what I know I desire. I attend these conversations to see where the alchemy of the moment intersects, interacts with, reveals my inner alchemy.  I’m not particularly studious or interested in following every curlicue of thought/ image with Hillman.  But I am listening, sniffing, looking for what sparks me and in what size, shape and quality of container to cook my inner alchemy. In the conversation between Robbie and Pat—“cutting off the claws of the lion” rang startlingly even though the tone was “Doesn’t everybody know this?”  No I didn’t.  But now I do. Dream set the kindling for the spark.

Good cooking to you all,

Janet Fortess

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Two things come to mind when I read this and recall the discussion:

1. The Strength card in tarot, often depicted as a maiden taming a lion. I love aeclectic.net's notes on this:

The Maiden represents higher feelings and that we can experience if we bring our wild passions to heel. And so we willingly do so.

This card, however, isn't just about the Maiden's power. Like its ruling sign Leo, this card is also about the hot, roaring energy and enthusiasm of the Lion including passions like "lust" (which is the name it was given by Crowley in his Thoth deck). The lion's power may be frightening, but it is also desirable. Much can be achieved if such power is put to use. Some decks, in fact, label this card as "Power."

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/strength.shtml

2. 10,000 Maniac's cover of "Because The Night Belongs To Lovers," for desire, lust, and love.

http://youtu.be/kUGC5oRpbkg

Take me now, baby, here as I am
    Hold me close and try to understand

Desire is hunger
    It's the fire I breathe

Love is a banquet
    on which we feed

Come on now, try and understand
    The way I feel under your command

Take my hand, as the sun descends
    They can't hurt you now
    Can't hurt you now
    Can't hurt you

Because the night belongs to lovers
    Because the night belongs to lust
    Because the night belongs to us

Have I doubt, baby, when I'm alone
    Love is a ring, a telephone

Love is an angel disguised as lust
    Here in our bed until the morning comes

Come on now, try to understand
    The way I feel under your command

Take my hand, as the sun descends
    They can't hurt you now,
    Can't hurt you now,
    Can't hurt you now.

With love we sleep,
    with doubt the vicious cycle
    turns and burns
    Without you I cannot live,
    forgive the yearning burning
    I believe it's time,
    too real to feel

So take me now,
    Take me now,
    Take me now

• Link to image of cutting off the paws of the lion.

You may need to scroll down to find the image.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Francois+Beroalde+de+Verville+Le+Ta...

Francois Beroalde de Verville Le Tableau des riches inventions

Francois Beroalde de Verville Le Tableau des riches inventions - Google Search
This reply was deleted.