Education Institution

Thought-Provoking "chat" going on now....

Chat-Following-Alchemy-Webinar-1.doc (See below for info on this document)

Hi all. It's Jan. 9, just after the first webinar and a few folks are having a great chat about it in the "Main Room" (bottom right) of the screen. The chat function is live, so when the discussion ends, it's over and not usually saved. However, we'll try to post a version later if you miss it.

If you're on now, feel free to jump in....

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Bonnie and Roger,

It's good to be reconnecting with you both.

For now, do you know if 1/23 Alchemy will continue with the Robbie and Pat selected quotes from Chapter 1 ( sent in an email 1/8 not as a PDF) as we didn't get to many of them? 

I'll post again to introduce myself to the Forum at large.  I'm interested in the discussion of "body".

It's -1*F here--I wish we would get to FIRE!

Janet

• Education Institution

Hi Janet. Great to see you here as well. An email with details for Webinar #2 went out on January 21 from Jung Platform listing quotes for tonight's webinar. You may have missed it. I'm going to post them in a new top-level Post in the group so everyone can see them, so look for that if you don't find the email. See you tonight!

• Good morning,

I think somewhere I read that an on-line version of the book would be available to us by download. I have the psychical book, hmm a Imaginal slip? I meant to say, physical book - which I own but would like to work with the text in the word processor. Does anyone know where I can download the first chapter. By the way, I'm actually enjoying the quietness of not a lot of people writing on the forum. And I imagine in the future enjoying hearing from more people, and Conversation.  

Joe

• Education Institution

Hi Roger,

Did you ever get the PDF chapter of the book? It should have been emailed to you the day before the 1st webinar (on or around Jan. 8). If you didn't receive it, be sure to email info@JungPlatform.com and request it again.

Looking forward to seeing you (and everyone!) tomorrow for session #2.

• I don't know about others, but I for one did not receive the PDF version. I own the book so it is not an issue for me personally.

Roger

• Rob thanks for the reference. Hillman's notion of a soul history, which he mentioned sporadically through many of his writings, was very influential on my approach to teaching psychotherapy over many, many years. I am excited to take a look at Polikoff's book.

Also, you asked for my email address: rogerknudson@gmail.com.

Roger

• Hi Dorothy,

I'm glad you found the chat transcript interesting. 

Tom's 4th book may be his most accessible and is very valuable. 
    Glad to see more people interested in Corbin.

Hillman makes clear how he was greatly influenced by Corbin. Corbin later had real trouble with the fact that Hillman was using some of the same ideas in a polytheistic context as Corbin was dedicated to his monotheism. But Hillman made clear he felt that ideas where to be taken up and morphed just as the imaginal does not work by becoming static but must remain in flow. A point Hillman realized and applied to his own work as well. 
    At the end of the new edition of Archetypal Psychology he added a second essay to contrast his first essay that was pretty anti-monotheism. He acknowledged so many years later that he had come to see that there were in fact a variety of approaches monotheisms and that they were not all as equally problematic. 
    I think perhaps what we are doing here too could be a continuation of the exploration of Hillman's ideas (and imaginings) as opposed to just an exploration of what his position was as a solid thing. 
    Nevertheless, as an artist who works one on one with people as a healer and as a film maker that thinks about speaking to a wide general audience my main concern is exploring this material by being able to start where the masses start - which is exiled from the imaginal and explore this in a way that can step by step reveal how people can "get back to where they once belonged" both in their own inner work and by working with others. 
    cheers. Rob

• Rob,

Thank you for the response.

I have noticed that the average person has experienced the imaginal field, but may deny it or dissociate from the experience by choice. We are told as children about what is acceptable to talk about. I know many adults who will admit to such experiences when the group they are in is demonstrably safe for such discussions-- an admittedly rare event. I also think it is rare to make the distinction between fantasy and the imaginal realm, which undoubtedly contributes to the confusion. I wish you luck in creating a film about this topic in a way that intrigues the audience. I remember that the "What the Bleep …" film succeeded in doing that--  about quantum physics, if I remember correctly. I do remember many people attending the film multiple times. It used animation and celebrity speakers effectively. There is certainly plenty of room for exploration of the topic.

I too have hopes that these talks will explore the topics that he has introduced in his writings. I have a lot of respect for Patricia Berry, based on her earlier writings, and Robbie's ability to work through daunting writings. I hope that they can inspire each other to bring this to life. I want a more in-the-bone understanding of the experience of the phenomenon.

Dorothy

• I agree completely re: the imaginal / soul dimension.
      It cannot go away... its just our relationship too it that can become dormant or out of access. 

Three key things are associated with the imaginal: Dreams, Childhood and Poetry. 

So yes when we are children (closer to source?) we would have these experiences that as we grow older we are taught to discount. Hence my decision to study poetry right now as a path back to the imaginal. 

The book I've chosen to read is "Image of Orpheus RILKE A Soul History" by Polikoff is written specifically the author says as a Hillman style Soul History which is what we would have beyond our usual "CASE HISTORY" definitions of our lives. So far so good. Very promising. :)

Thanks for the thoughts and well wishes for the film project. Much appreciated. 

Love the idea of a more "in-the-bone" understanding. Looking forward.
      Rob

• Thank you for posting the transcript. I had no idea there was a chat room available. I too am drawn to Corbin and am reading  Tom Cheetham's 4th book to facilitate my ability to read Corbin. I appreciate the references, and will likely look for the chat after the next presentation.

This reply was deleted.