Archetypal wonderings - Aquarius

Hi Judie. Thanks for your invitation. I have a question about Aquarius--and specifically about Aquarius rising since it's my own ascendant. I found some info on the following site (Cafe Astrology: http://www.cafeastrology.com/aquarius_ascendantrisingsign.html ) but is there more you (or anyone else in this group) can say about the archetype of Aquarius?  Also, are we not entering a new phase of Aquarius as a planet  (the Age of Aquarius). What should we all know about that? I'm curious about where we're headed as a civilization and a planet. Jump in, anyone please. Thanks much!

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Judie, Boston, and Anthony. Thanks so much for sharing on this issue.

Judie--I love your visual of a chicken breaking through the shell and being amazed by the big world outside. That's a very accurate summary of exactly how I felt when I discovered Jung and Depth Psychology a few years ago. My life has never been the same since. I guess the fact that it has led directly to the founding of the Alliance is right on par with the archetypal telos, the draw of the acorn with it's blueprint already embedded to turn into an oak tree as James Hillman talks about in Soul's Code.

Boston, your analysis is really fascinating and I'm particularly intrigued about the idea that our economy could/would change to one of more equality. It's almost too hard to envision right now (not the falling apart part, but the result)--and your image of the Tarot card/falling tower is probably more apt than we want to believe. I suspect it's going to be more of a massive collapse than a gentle dissolution. Buckle your seatbelts!

Finally, Carter, wow! Now that's interesting about Jung. Certainly explains a lot given what I now understand about Aquarius and about Jung's work in the world--maybe that's why so many of us in this community still have his face on our icons. It's our own little Age of Aquarius right here.

• Bonnie...the term community is sooooooo Aquarian....And you have that so right when you refer to our own Age of Aquarius.....But we must stay humble  in our togetherness....One thing about being astrological is o never forget the other side of an astrological polarity  . Jeffe Anders, who is a wonderful  friend of mine living in Zurich, said something to me once that I've never forgottten .  He said that an "Aquarian is just a Leo turned inside out.." I've never forgotten the lesson inherent in that....As I've applied that in many instances, it seems that the other half of that sun sign polarity is almost more significant in one's style than initially  appears.   Perhaps it lives in shadow? Who knows. But it isn't a bad idea to include the other half of the polarity in one's conversation and consciousness....J.
    • "Aquarian is just a Leo turned inside out." Correct. So, any sign on the Ascendant will have the equal and opposite sign on the Descendant. For Aquarius Rising, Leo is setting, so to speak. Dane Rudhyar has this to say about this pairing: "When the sign Aquarius is rising at birth, the individual tends to identify himself, spontaneously and intuitively, with his culture and all the enjoyments it provides; or with great dreams of reform, challenging old structures, pioneering for a New Age. Then, because these cultural forms can be empty of real vital meaning unless personalized, the individual will seek partners who will cooperate with him (her)--either partners in cultural play or in reform and perhaps revolutionary activity. These partnerships may have a very emotional character, because the individual will demand wholehearted cooperation and often exclusivity." This long quote may be a pretty good rough description of what you on doing on this site! But more to the point, what Rudhyar is saying is that an Aquarius Rising dreams of an ideal or New Age, and this is her primary personal orientation (Ascendant). However, in order to reach the ideal the individual is willing to push others quite agressively and even egocentrically, and to be the center of attention (Leo) in pursuit of the ideal. My own Ascendant/ Descendant is Libra/ Aries: and indeed I strive for a greater wholeness and balance (Libra), but am not above a little juvinile arm twisting (Aries) on the way to that goal.

Like others, I am no expert in these matters, but do find them fascinating.

Best,
      Matthew
  • I'm surprised that the Cafe didn't include Carl Jung as one of their famous Aquarius Rising Persons, :)

• Hi Anthony. Good to meet you and I'm looking forward to more dialogue with others with whom I share an interest in what I have found to be the fascinating world of archetypal astrology.  I guess the Cafe can only be on the mark when they are and when they aren't, then it's people such as yourself who remind us of those crucial over sights. And yes, Carl Jung''s horoscope, ascendant  and life personify the expression of the widening of our inner and outer worlds in a way that cannot in my view, be equaled. Uranian/Aquarian terms such as widening, opening, enlarging, cracking,  in order to reach and/or change the status quo of the many is certainly fitting...Certainly Bonnie Bright's Aquarius rising has, is, and will continue to function as an Aquarian beacon that will, I feel, shine the light on Depth Psychology in a way that opens the eyes and souls of those global inhabitants who long for a place to hang their soulful hats........!So here's to traveling forward, backward, upward, inward and downward  .....Judie
    • Gosh, Judith... having developed and run my own informational astrology site starting in 1996 and having "once upon a time" spent 7 years as the astrology guide at About.com... I'd never thought of myself as being one of those pesky people pointing out the omissions of others... I am rather in awe of Bonnie's fortitude and accomplishments and  thought she might be interested that Jung's Ascendant was in Aquarius... and so (unfortunately) mentioned it my typical Mercurial manner... during my 7 year stint at About.com I was continually reminded by my bosses as to what an excellent site the Cafe was... so maybe it's indeed a Freudian slip (which is likewise Mercurial in nature)?

• Good question. I am an amateur astrologer at best, but I do have some ideas about this. Aquarius wants equality and to serve humanity. If you look at world events, you can see the Age of Aquarius taking shape. For example, Democracy works great with Aquarius and we are seeing revolutions in nations that have been dictatorial. People want their personal freedom, another Aquarius trait, and they are now willing to fight for it. Capitalism does not work with Aquarius. Capitalism is a Piscean trait as it is based on sacrifice, i.e. Jesus on the cross. Capitalism requires that over half the population support the wealth of the upper 1%. That is a pyramid system and it is sacrificial. Our economy is changing to suit Aquarius. I don't know how it will turn out, but it will be based on the notion of equality and service to all people. In tarot, the tower falling represents a big change. The fall of the twin towers that housed the world's financial stability fell to denote changes in the economic system. The symbolic signs for Aquarius are with us, if we care to look. Dec. 21, 2012, numerologically 333 with a 2, is a major catylist for these changes, changing the duality, the point of no return, if you will. It's like the apex of energy shifts much like when the sun is rising over the eastern horizon and he is fully above it, but not high in the sky.

Aquarius rising means that you present your Aquarian attributes to the world first, that is what people see in you. Starting this website to bring people together is an Aquarian trait, building community. At least this is how I understand it.

This reply was deleted.