Introduction

I have to tell you that I feel very intimidated by some of your introductions.  Many of you are doing what I have only dreamed of doing.  You rock! 

I went from Human Resources Development in industry to Career Counselling in Higher Education, and then migrated from Canada to Australia in 1995.  That’s when both I and my career went south!   Then, as a result of several personal life crises coinciding [could it be called  “efficiency”?], I undertook an online writing course as a means of self-discovery.  The course used myth and archetype as a vehicle for self-discovery, and as a means of finding a personal narrative.  My first degree had been English literature.  So I guess what happened is my ego got stripped down, and I rediscovered my soul.  That writing course brought me back to the world of myth and metaphor, imagination and intuition.  In addition, it introduced me to a study of Jungian psychology, Hillman’s work and, of course, to the field of “therapeutic writing”.  I have since acquired further training and, in private practice, I facilitate groups in “therapeutic writing”, using narrative, myth, fairy tales, etc. to help people to view their lives at arms’ length, from new perspectives, and with the help of archetypal mentors. 

But lately, I find myself continually distracted from this work by my social, political and environmental concerns.  I often wish I did not know about these things.  But knowing, I can’t seem to ignore them, and I feel compelled to do something about it.  It has been a major dilemma for me.  Then, when I heard Craig’s presentation, “From Terrapocalypse to Earth Rise” it seemed to represent the link for me, and a possible resolution between these two competing demands for my time and energy.  I felt inspired.  I needed to learn more.  And that’s why I’m here.

Oh!  And now I divide my time between Canada and Australia.

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Joanne ~ So great what you're doing with therapeutic writing and using narrative, myth, fairy tales, etc. to help people. This to me constitutes profound activist engagement. Not everyone needs to stand in front of the tank or march on Washington. And not everyone needs to or can facilitate the soul work you do. 

Fun to be sharing this time with you!

• For me a lovely aspect of this Certificate is the diversity of life experience carried by the participants.

Love the "therapeutic writing" idea. If you feel like it, upload a sample of the lesson so we can all see it.

• Joanne- When I read your post what arose for me was how your calling to facilitate therapeutic writing groups might be a blended with your social advocacy work.   I could imagine what a gift it would be to participate in a group who through therapeutic writing collectively imagined From Terrapocalypse to Earth Rise” .  

I'd sign up for sure!  Glad you are here! Cindy

• Thank you, Cindy - and Willene!  That certainly seems to be the direction I'm heading.  My website is currently under redevelopment.  (Still being torn in two directions and struggling with time constraints even now.)  But I'm definitely going to have to use storytelling to raise consciousness.  Starting there.  Stay tuned!

• Me too! I would love to sign up for that!

Willene

• Hi Joanne.

Just had to reply that I so resonate with the dilemma you describe so beautifully about being fully engaged in "inner world" matters of depth work after rediscovering your soul and the pressing need to attend to the crisis of the earth, which is a crisis of soul on a planetary level, perhaps. Me too. For me, it happened in March 2013...I could no longer avoid my own sense of responsibility for finding my personal response to "social, political, environmental concerns." Like you, I was excited to find Craig's work as a place where Jung's amazing discoveries about the reality of Psyche and an honest inquiry into the meaning of the crisis of nature and what conscious activism might be, for me personally, (the "applied" part), could be explored in an integrated way - which makes so much sense.

I'm glad you are part of the gang here!

best,

Willene 

ps - facilitating groups in "therapeutic writing" that makes use of the work of Jung and Hillman and myth, fairy tale, narrative, etc, sounds like a near-perfect way to make a contribution to the world to me.

This reply was deleted.