Introduction

So glad to be a part of this interesting community! And grateful to find conversations to join that are meaningful and important. My own exploration of mythology for the last several years has been of Inanna and her descent, a myth I stumbled upon and have grown with. She has provided me with a map of sorts, an orientation to my own life and to those around me. As I tried to apply the content/sensibilities to a broader culture, however, I ran into glitches, questions, puzzles to engage that have led me here -- to where resolution is not the goal, but rather full-being engagement (body + mind, heart + soul). I want to be less afraid not only as an individual, but also as a part of this culture, and as a being of the universe. For many years I have engaged my burning questions through the field of psychology, and yet the methods and results there seemed to have come up thin, without enough substance, too ego-centric and isolating. Gratefully, it has been through the study of and relationship to the story of Inanna that clarification and consolation has come most readily. I am thrilled to be a student here, grateful to you all, and Bonnie + Craig, and optimistic that our dance in this time together will dream the myth forward as CG Jung so beautifully encouraged. 

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Claire.The first time I ever heard (or heard of) of the Innana myth, an instructor told the myth using a drum in a very embodied account (sort of Michael Meade-style, if you are familiar with that). That, and ensuing work I did with the myth, including Active Imagination, also had a profound effect on me. I was re-reading a paper I did about that recently and was struck again by how powerful that myth is. Thanks for invoking it here in the group.

• Oooooh, I would love to know more about your experiences with her . . .

• Hi Claire,

Ask Ishtar Kramer some time about the descent of Inanna. : )

Glad to see you here!

• Will do, Craig. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Hi Claire,

I have so enjoyed your comments in other threads of discussion that I was hoping you would do an Intro. I am also grateful for the class and really glad you are part of it. It is fascinating to read of someone who has been consciously and deeply engaged with a particular myth for guidance...you have been doing applied mythology for several years it seems. I don't know the story of Inanna's descent, and your post now inspires me to look it up. Do you have a favorite version? I also want to say that I admire the quest to be less fearful on both individual and collective levels - to be able to write that sentence must really mean something; it certainly is potent to read. It feels like one of the deepest purposes in life one could discover. Thank you for sharing that.

looking forward to these next weeks with you and all the others.

best,

Willene

This reply was deleted.