Reflections on Week Three

Reading the article A Brief Mythology of Petroleum was a bit overwhelming.  Towards the end, I really had a felt sense of the massive beast-like energy this industry generates.  I appreciated Craig explaining  in the seminar how our day-to-day actions can fuel the energy of the underlying myth or archetype (no pun intended).   I like the notion of imagining my gas nozzle being inserted into the mouth of Pluto as I pump gas into my car or starving him when I choose to walk.   It leaves me feeling a little more empowered.    I can see how the mythic lens can bring  a sense of sacredness into the myriad of daily personal choices that impact the wellbeing of Earth.  I find myself wondering how to make this more alive in my own life as well as the community I serve?  

Another take away for me this week was sparked from a comment Craig made during week 2 about exploring the myth that expresses itself in the place you call home.  There is an indigenous-inspired  community gathering  to protect the sacredness of the Salish Sea occurring in Seattle this Sunday. Unfortunately, I have a previous commitment but it inspired me to research the myths of the Salish people.  I found one that really spoke to me called The Legend of the Thunderbird and Orca.

http://www.joejack.com/thunderbirdandorca.html

I liked how the community journeyed together to discover the source of the problem.  When they couldn't drive off the threat on their own they evoke the help of the Thunderbird.  What most caught my interest was how they manifested its help through singing their ancient ancestral spiritual songs.  I found myself wondering what the modern equivalent of this might be?   I've been in a year-long learning circle doing work with Family Constellations (my commitment this weekend) so connecting to ancestors is an emerging area of exploration. 

Finally, in my experience with activism,  I have observed groups comprised of members who have not done much inner work to be as polarized, fear-based, and intolerant as the consciousness they oppose.    I've typically shied away from group activism or demonstrations for this reason.   I have done some subtle energy activism with group meditations but would like to find a niche that resonates for me. 

I'm really enjoying this course. I wish my work schedule would allow me to participate during the live presentation.

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Vicky Jo-

Thanks for the response. My apologies for not replying sooner. I have been studying with Brigitte Sztab, who works with Bert Hellinger's model. I think is unique about the way she works is there's a strong accent on listening to the heart. It has been a sentinel experience for me. In the oddest of ways I suppose it is my way of being an activist for the ancestors!

What an interesting insight about the introverted feeling function and the attraction to activism. I will look for this pattern in the future. My comfort zone with activism is leading by example otherwise it feels too protestlelyzing for my comfort.

Thanks again for your warm response.

Take care,

Cindy
  • Hi Cindy,

Family Constellations work is very powerful.  It brings up all of the myths of the family, doesn't it? 

Are you using Bert Hellinger's model, or a variation on Virginia Satir, or something altogether else?  (I was taught a form during my Organization and Relationship Systems Coach training, which I guess would be a derivative version.)  Congrats on your year-long journey with that work.

For the record, I'm uncomfortable with overt activism also.  I usually satisfy myself by posting things on Facebook.  As a typologist, it seems to me that those with a preference for introverted Feeling often seem to be the most compelled to activism.  I'm not similarly inclined...  (Not that I don't care; it's just not the way I roll.)

I agitate in my own way.

Warmly,
    -Vicky Jo :-)

• Thanks, Cindy. Look up "subtle activism Sean Kelly CIIS." For myths about place, read my Animate California Series or my book Terrapsychology. That will be the focus of the third certificate down the road. Scroll down to see my post about Ferguson as an example. I also have a piece on the Internet about why we should rename it Wombington DC. : )

This reply was deleted.