WHAT: Special Study Group: Jung's with Jungian Analyst Robert

WHEN: Starts January 19th: Consists of 20 pre-recorded lectures of 1.5 hours each; an 88-page study guide created by, Robert 's colleague, Jill Fischer; and this written online discussion forum. Runs 40 weeks

WHO: Anyone who is interested in Jung's , Robert . Facilitators: Janet Fortess and Chris Doggett

>>>This Special Study Group starts January 19th, 2013. It is an open written discussion forum based on following the pre-recorded 40-hour audio course* with Robert available from Jung Platform.

This is a central place to which you can come and post questions or comments about the designated module you listened to for the 2-week period and interact with others who are doing the same thing. As such, there is no set "time" it occurs, but rather is ongoing and you can post or respond at your convenience. Janet Fortess and Chris Doggett, students and colleagues of Robert will be providing some structure and be on hand to facilitate the discussion, and Robert himself will also be checking in.

*If you're not following the audio course, you're still welcome to engage here in whatever discussion is emerging--though of course you'll likely get far more out of the process if you are able to listen to the course itself.

THREE WAYS TO PARTICIPATE

1. Listen to an interview with Robert on Shrink Rap Radio with host Dr. David Van Nuys to help you get to know Robert better in preparation for the course.

2. Get your copy of this in- audio course from Jung Platform. The course consists of 20 lectures of approximately 1.5 hours each which occur every two weeks. In each lecture Robert addresses a few pages from the . You can read along in your copy of the .
This course comes with an 88-page study guide designed by Robert 's colleague, Jill Fischer, which contains a synopsis of each lecture. After each session, there are questions to help you test your understanding. After finishing the entire 40-week course and tests, you get a CE certificate and a Certificate of Completion from the Jung Platform University.

(Cost FULL COURSE: Lectures 1 through 20 + 30 CEs + Synopsis / Study Guide - $99). members get additional 25% off using the code" "). The course may also be purchased in two individual parts.

3/ Join the online discussion forum in the Psychology online community (HERE!) starting January 19, 2013, where everyone who follows the audio course from Jung Platform can come together and discuss each particular section. This forum will be facilitated by two professionals, Janet Fortess and Chris Doggett, who have been trained in Embodied Imagination with Robert for three years and Robert will be checking in every two weeks as well. (This forum is open to everyone, regardless of whether you follow the audio course or have the )

ABOUT ROBERT

Robert , PsyA, is a Jungian psychoanalyst who graduated from the C.G. Jung Institute in Zurich in 1977. Since then he was been in private practice in the United States and Australia. Robert founded the Santa Barbara Healing Sanctuary and developed a method of working with dreams called Embodied Imagination. He has also written several s, including the worldwide bestseller ‘A Little Course In Dreams’.

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Replies

• Wow, this forum has been open for 5 days and has 47 members! We want to welcome one and all on board. While Robbie, Jill, Chris or myself may not respond to every posting we will be following your conversations with keen interest. Please talk among yourselves! And if you haven't spoken up in writing, we invite you to share your first meeting with The Red Book. On the community education page you should be able to see faces of all the members of this forum. (Still many father Jung images waiting for your face to replace his!) If you put your mouse on the picture a name will appear. If you double click, you'll get to that person's profile page. That's how I know John Kavanagh is from Ireland. Sing "Getting to know you......"
    Warm regards on a below zero night.
    Janet

• I see that some of you are beginning to read ahead, which of course is a great idea, to 'familiarize' youselves with the text. In order not to end up with disappointments later on, let me make it clear that my course is about book 1 and 2 of the Red Book. This is the journey. The final part, Scrutinies, I have left to explore at a future date. I felt at the time mostly interested in Jung's journey and less in his following conversations with Philemon, which are fascinating, but need an independent period of attention. My thougth was, let's travel together first. So the Scrutinies will come at a later date. I think 30 hours is plenty of stuff for now. 

• Good morning Robert - thank you for letting us know our journey involves the two books leaving The Scrutinies for a later date.  I am also appreciative of your comments reminding us, that in Jung's time, he served as a psychiatrist in the midst of the great war and resultant great depression, and that he was blessed/burdened with visions prior to what remains the worst bloodletting recorded in our history.

The year was 2008, my father was facing an acute sepsis, near-death experience with so-called diagnosis of hallucinations.  His caregivers forgot he was a WW2 vet and during this illness, memories of particular, gut-wrenching and horrific war-related memories surfaced.  The physicians treated my father as psychotic and placed him on anti-psychotic meds for 2 days, declaring him incompetent concerning his medical care needs until I was able to get to his bedside.  My father was so upset in all of this (the caregivers thinking he was mad), and I thank God we had a secure, trusting relationship for I was able to help him and those who cared for him to realize he was not psychotic and incompetient - he was simply a WW2 vet having delayed recall of suppressed WW2 memories that flooded him which we all now know is  PTSD symptomology.

So, if in my father's and my time and the listening to war-related memories in 2008 is called psychotic and  my father, as a foot soldier, simply recalling suppressed memories of his WW2 experiences was perceived as having a brief psychotic mental illness; I can appreciate and at the same time not phatom what might have happened to Jung, the psychiatrist of that time, to speak of his visions, dreams and real time experiences in session with injured veterans pre and in the throws of the great wars and resultant world depression - would he have also been considered mad?

In my time in 2008, I had first hand experience of just how unenlightened we remained, and I am grateful for both Jung, his heirs; my father and I are/were knowing and enlightened enough to wait, for the right time (2009 the publishing of Jung's depth experiences and great works) and me, 2012 to try to speak of my father's 2008 war-related memory recall.  Some syncronicity here and in this moment, there is no doubt in my mind that the psychiatrist (in the midst of the war), alongside with the footsoldiers speaking in 2008 would have also been deemed - mad.

On a positive note, I relistened to your lecture, this time alongside the Readers Edition and knowledge of the different page numbers and the second time of listening to the lecture was so good for I easily found the content of your page numbers within my text and the combination of seeing Jung's words accompanied by the sound of your voice and depth insight into the content within the context - was very enjoyable. 

Regards Linda

• The journey in The Red Book is already bringing me into new dimensions.  I have started dreaming more.  Each night I read or review a page or two in TRB before sleep and meditate on a graphic.  Dreaming increases -- or recall of dreaming is being remembered from what had felt like a long dearth in which no dream was remembered or existed.  Last April-May 2012 when I studied TRB for a period of 5 weeks at Pacifica, I also started more dreaming or more recall of dreaming.  This dreaming recall is deeply meaningful to me.  I feel almost as if by calling in the spirit of the depth and retracing Jung's path by concentrating on this book created by dreaming or active imagination, my unconscious is prompted to reveal itself in new ways.  

Has anyone noticed a qualitative or quantitative difference in their dreaming?

• I just finished listening to lecture 1 for the third time and didn’t make it very far until these words stopped me.

RIDGID SOCIETY

ECONOMIC FATALISM

OSSIFIED SOCIETY

And I tried to imagine what that state could be sociologically and psychologically. What stimuli were involved and how long they had been applied to create such a state within a culture. I thought of an aneurism existing over a period of time prior to bursting. And I thought of the collective unconscious being the blood doing the pushing, a neural steamroller that was pushing the culture along without its awareness.  Was this an explosion comparable to the Renaissance? Was this an explosion comparable to The Enlightenment? What were the aneurisms blocking the flow of collective unconscious prior to those explosions? I wonder if the social and psychological stimuli were similar. I wonder if they were the same.

I think of a story I read of the feudal economy. The surfs farmed and paid the King with their produce. When they didn’t produce enough to pay the King he would extend them credit. Every so many years the debts of the surfs would become so large and ridiculous the economy would collapse. The King then would proclaim all debt forgiven and the cycle would start all overa clean slate.

Maybe that is what was happening in 1914, a new Renaissance, a new Enlightenment. Was Jung in that Guernica painting I posted? I think he was!

ECONOMIC FATALISM – a failing economy

OSSIFIED SOCIETY- a society incapable of dexterity

RIDGID SOCIETY – a society that doesn’t desire change

I wonder

• Just a brief reminder that the 1914 cataclysm was (and still holds the record for being) the worst human made disaster in the history of mankind. Comparing it with the Renaissance or the Enlightenment or the emergence of the Collective Unconscious, however instructive, might make us loose track of the fact that this was the worst LITERAL bloodletting we have ever witnessed.

• Hi David,
    I'm glad to see your Picasso post on the Forum. Robbie copied your Yeats poem in his response but not your comments. While it resonates with the times of The Red Book, "things fall apart, the center cannot hold" for me, reads like the commentary on several I Ching hexagrams. The alchemy of death/rebirth, yin/yang is beginning less and endless and yet we may each experience this with some specificity in and through the spirit of our times.
    Welcome to the Forum!
    Janet

• 350px-PicassoGuernica.jpg

Every creative act is first an act of destruction ~Picasso

• Wonderful! Thanks for posting this image.

• Greetings! I signed up for the course while traveling and now back home on my computer I'm working to get everything organized and begin to dive in. I remember reading in the New York Times with delight and awe that a man named Sonu Shamdasani was going to be publishing a mysterious book that C. Jung wrote called The Red Book. It just grabbed my imagination and I knew I needed to get the book. I was so pleasantly surprised by the quality and size of the book. A real work of art and of Heart, by both men. I'm very grateful Sonu Shamdasani chose to take this immense task on to bring it to the world.

I have begun to listen to the lecture and wished to share the hits or zings I got from the discussion of the first dream spoken of in the lecture of the Austrian customs guard and the knight. For me, the dream seemed to be alerting to the “customs” of the past generations that had been dying away. Still hanging around in some obscure ways, yet not totally “decomposed” and lost forever....Hope. And the reference to the knight, which I would see as “night” and representing the Unconscious, coming around regularly same time each day, mid-day, as a sign that the Unconscious is consistent in its actions to Become known and seen. Between 12 and 1 mid-day, one of the brightest parts of the day...Light. Yet, he wears yellow colored armor which indicates for me the third chakra (usually colored yellow) where our ego resides and it is armored, defensive/defended against all that may hurt it. And on the “unseen” back is the Maltese Cross...Red Cross, which may symbolize the Wholeness presence associated with the four sections and also 8 points of the specific Maltese cross. So, for me this dream shows the deconstruction of the “old” ways. Yet, the Mystery, continues to keep plugging away at us to help us see that there is hope. Also, the number 12 is listed here in this dream and the next, which is a Master Number and in the Tarot is the Hanged Man. One interpretation from the Voyager Deck says, in part, “The Hanged Man is also symbolic of compassionate self-sacrifice. Like Christ, giving yourself up for the good of others enables you to transcend the ego and achieve union with the great spirit of the Universe.”

So, as I/we embark on this journey, I pause to ponder the sacrifice Jung made for himself and us in his life and what we, 100 years later, may learn from it.   

1293623407204422050maltese%20cross.svg

This reply was deleted.