CG Jung and St. Teresa of Avila

I was wondering if anyone has come across anyone's writings which looks at Teresa of Avila's spirituality and ties it to any of Jung's theories?  I'm familiar with Clift's book "Jung & Christianity" (1982) as we had it in our college library.  I'm particulalry interested if anyone has any notions about "Self-Image and Transofrmation" (later in life) or "Transformational relationships".

Carolyn Dunow (2009) writes of Jung's notions of 'enlightenment' in her latest paper (see attachment):  "We are currently in an age of transformation that was predicted by mathematical genius of ancient Mayan astrologers... The Mayans, however, predict December 21, 2012 as the end of the world as we know it; yet with this end comes the dawning of a new evolution of species beyond the Homo sapien: the Homo luminous - the enlightened being. Dr. Carl Jung, a pioneer in the field of psychology and the unconscious mind, does not predict a time, but describes a process of individuation. This process holds an uncanny parallel to the path of the Homo luminous held by the Inca shamans, who reside in the Andes region of Peru."

Anyone out there got any further ideas?  Alan

Jung and the Homo luminous - the enlightened being (2009) Dunow C.pdf

You need to be a member of Depth Psychology Alliance to add comments!

Join Depth Psychology Alliance

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Alan,
    I know of the book John mentioned. The intertwining of alchemical individuation, St. Teresa, and transformational relationships feels very rich in potentiality. Global individualization of the gathered life of the Earth is extremely intriguing. In a recent dialog somewhere else in the Alliance, the viewpoint was that we are at another stage of nigredo.
    I'm printing out the article as I type.
    Always good to hear from your brother.
    Ed
    • As always, good to hear from you too, my brother.  I've been away for last month on a silent retreat -- just got back.  Amazing time with the Divine!  Thanks for your elucidations... I always value them -- they're like "the hidden treasures in the field"!  Keep well, and may His peace fill your life,  Alan
  • Alan,

Glad to hear about your experience with Richard Rohr. I find him very insightful, progressive, with a well rounded perspective - from the point of view of a contemplative/msytic who has strives to be present and speaks from experience.

I haven't heard of the Kundalini author you mention, sounds interesting though. I've only begun to practice Kundalini recently.

Tom 

• Alan regarding Jung, Christianity, self-image and transformaiton, you may want to consider;

Richard Rohr, OFM, Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life; and On the Threshold of Transformation: Daily Meditations for Men.

John A. Sanford, Mystical Chrisianity: A Psychological Commentary on the Gospel of John

Regarding an age of transformation and spiritual practice (Kundalini):

Yogi Bhajan, Transformation: Seeds of Change for the Aquarian Age, Vol. 1 Mastering the Self

"                                           "                       , Vol. 2 Serving the Infinite

• Thomas.... aahhhhh.... a man after my own heart!  Fr. Richard has been a mentor of mine for many years now!  I attended his first MROP in Australia and was a teaching elder at the second one.  I heard he had published yet another tome or two.  Can't wait to read them!

Thomas, I remember coming across another book several years ago on kundalini and was facinated by it.  It was authored by a lass whose name escapes me.  It was written more in a 'memoir' style, if memory serves.  She had inserted a few photographs in the cenre of the book, and one struck me quite profoundly -- a photo of her and her fella, and her 'heart' chakra was clearly visible in the photo (illuminated)!  Do you know about this book?  Alan

• John Welch has a book called "Spiritual Pilgrims: CG Jung and St. Teresa of Avila."  As far as 'transformational relationships' you might have a look at Nathan Schwartz-Salant's "The Mystery of Human Relationship: Alchemy and the Transformation of Self."  He has several chapters devoted to the idea of tranformational relationships.

• Thanks heaps, Mark!  I appreciate the gentle nudge.  These look really good.  Alan
This reply was deleted.